I'm Selling My Spurs!!!

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I've found something better!!!

!BS0U86g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLluzl+BKFGelYo9g~~_1.JPG

I love the guys instructions! :lol:

Yeah, those are for climbing up to your treestand. They're a dime a dozen at Cabela's and stuff like that. I've got a bucket of them in the garage if you want some Butch! :lol::lol:

Not me, i have spurs to set my stand with, then I leave a rope for the rest of season

I have about a dozen tree steps, like those in the picture. I got them from Cabela years ago. I use them mainly when I have to trim Royal palms (if my lift cannot get to it) which are normally not spiked. I go up as high as I can with my 28 ft. extension ladder and then use the tree steps from there. Royal palm trunks are so hard I take a cordless drill to make a hole to get the tree steps started. On trims after that, you can use the same hole.

yep i used to use them when i was bowhunting, just use climbing sticks now:)

would NEVER use them things again...lol :)

That cat that bit my ass, my finger I mean, was in a pine and the HO had put up a ladder and screwed like 18 lag screws into the tree light pole style.

I think he finally got kinda gripped at about 35' cuz that's where they stopped. The cat was at about 65'... that would have been a lot of drilling and screwing for a little pussy.

If you slipped and fell, wouldn't they impale you? Not to mention the damage to the tree from having a permanently installed lag bolt.

Lags really don't have much impact on the tree unless they are removed. Then there's an open wound for crud to get in and have a feast.

Least from my observations. I split a lot of wood from take-downs in the Russian river resorts in the 70's. Lot's of hardware in those trees and most of it was lagged in, and not a sign of rot or deterioration did I ever see in any piece. Some of it a foot deep in the tree. Insulator racks are very common.

I agree. Any of the lags and insulators I've hit with the Wood-Mizer have been neatly callused over. No idea anything is there until you here the Zinggg!

I'm with Paul on this one. I just don't see how you could create a more or less permanent wound on the tree without letting decay get in. Since it is mostly microscopic bacteria that cause decay, which can get through the gaps between wood and lag bolt, I don't think the lag would stop rot. I have no experience to back this up though. Purely theoretical.

Sean, I think Paul's photos show a large lag bolt in the tree with NO significant decay. Just some minor discoloration. And this has been the case with almost every piece of metal I have dissected out of a tree. Pull that bolt out, and then you will get decay.

Interesting note about that cat rescue with the biting kitty and the lag screws. As of today I've picked up three jobs from that street worth a total of $1800... plus the cat for a $100. All because I got that cat down.

(can I make another pussy joke or would that be inappropriate?)

Some of it a foot deep in the tree. Insulator racks are very common.

I've hit a few of those while working a piece of wood on the lathe.
It'll really ruin my day. Not so much from the busted edge on the turning gouge, since they'll sharpen up like a chainsaw chain, more from loosing the bowl I'd just put a lot of work into.

Sean, I think Paul's photos show a large lag bolt in the tree with NO significant decay. Just some minor discoloration. And this has been the case with almost every piece of metal I have dissected out of a tree. Pull that bolt out, and then you will get decay.

:what: You would call that minor decay? There were chunks of duff falling out, and it was almost hollow. I would call that major decay. What the pic does not show is if the decay was caused by the lag bolt or something else.

Back