I'm Selling My Spurs!!!

Sealed over nicely, i'm with Leon here. That heart rot could have been caused by the lag bolt but it doesn't seem to be getting past wall 4

Isn't using lags and eye bolts the accepted way of cabling trees?

I just ordered 15 tree steps from Amazon.com with free shipping for $85. They are the strap on type, not the screw in like I currently have.

Willie (and the other guy whose name I will not mention) knows...

The heart rot would most likely be associated with another wound like a broken branch from when the tree was smaller and was walled off. Decay and coloration columns generally stop at the next year's healthy growth ring which is the strongest CODIT wall.

There IS coloration associated with the bolt which is normal but it's not decay in the lignin/cellulose eating sense.

I don't know about the rot thing .I do however know that it's nearly impossible to unscew a lag or insulater from a tree after about year .

Good point Blinky, I also missed the position of the washers indicating that the bolt has not been in place for to long. Which would indicate the decay column came from a different wound

I have now used the strap on tree steps several times and I must say they work very well.

Back