I’m a sucker for a bargain

@Bermy Yeah, humor has a way of seriously falling short over the internet. Epic fail on my end. The only thing that translates worse than humor over the internet is sarcasm. It's the effort that ultimately counts!
Australia's fauna sounds quite dangerous and or completely terrifying. I'm all set with spiders for sure. Isn't Australia also well known for having vast regions of dangerous terrain where unprepared and prepared people alike tend to perish exploring them? And then there are Blue Ring octopus, cone snails, stone fish (all of which are deadly venomous) and more people apparently perish from bee stings over there than from snake bites. You also have Cassowaries, which currently hold the title for "most dangerous bird on earth." Kangaroos have been known to f*ck people up, too. Even entire regions of Australia are potentially dangerous, with Adelaide once being referred to as the "unsolved murder capital of the world."

But your accents are awesome! =-D

Last edited:
@Bermy I'm pretty you guys (and gals) have pretty intense dust storms, don't you? I saw footage of one once which completely enveloped Sydney. They even had video of it rushing towards the city before it encapsulated everything in flying sediment. Very fast moving and potentially deadly. At a minimum it's an air quality hazard. Everything looked blood red from the clay during the incident with Sydney in 2009. That's a great way for someone to develop talcosis of the lungs.

Treestuff has Notch triple thimbles pretty cheap @ $50. Chinese made, but whatever; $50. I want to set it up as a ultrasling, but that'll be some time in the future when I buy the rope, and figure out splicing it.

I watched a video on it a year or so ago, and just downloaded another one to refresh my memory. Looks pretty straightforward. All I need are the fids and some rope. What do think is a good length ultra for that thimble? I tend to overdo stuff, and go bigger/longer 'just in case', and it ends up being a PITA, and unused.

Figure the max you plan to go around and multiply by 3.1416 Then more than double that for your cordage length. Ultra sling spliced eat up a good bit of rope. I’d have to check my notes to figure a percentage of length lost. Hopefully someone knows because it’ll take me a while to remember where I put my splicing folder

You can also splice it loose and then do a seizing/whipping to get it tight in the eye. I think that's of the many tricks in Brian Toss rigging apprentice, but i think it's far older practice to make it easier to replace or repair the various components, you simply cut the whipping, replace the ring (they were called deadeyes back then), and then whip it up again nice and tight. It makes the splice easier to do too, works great on climb lines and lanyards to get them perfectly sized.

20230208_212329.jpg

I watched a video on it a year or so ago, and just downloaded another one to refresh my memory. Looks pretty straightforward. All I need are the fids and some rope. What do think is a good length ultra for that thimble? I tend to overdo stuff, and go bigger/longer 'just in case', and it ends up being a PITA, and unused.
I just tape a pen or sharpie into each end on an ultra. With bigger tenex you can literally just make the end kinda pointy with tape. No fids needed. Lengthwise they really eat up the cordage. I'd figure on around 2.5x in tenex what length you want the sling to be.

You can also splice it loose and then do a seizing/whipping to get it tight in the eye. I think that's of the many tricks in Brian Toss rigging apprentice, but i think it's far older practice to make it easier to replace or repair the various components, you simply cut the whipping, replace the ring (they were called deadeyes back then), and then whip it up again nice and tight. It makes the splice easier to do too, works great on climb lines and lanyards to get them perfectly sized.

View attachment 126776
That whipping will hold the carabiner tight in the loose eye. A triple thimble will have rigging loads applied...I wouldn't rely on whipping.

I was thinking belt+suspenders. A tight eye, and maybe a paracord double constrictor just cause.

here are my favorite bargains from the Hazard Fraud and Ropemaster
just picked up some of that chain and binders last night, seems legit but havent tried them yet
been running the omnipro welder for a few months now and it hasnt skipped a beat, runs FCAW-S and SMAW like butter and pretty cheap all things considered

welder link was for Kyle, and his redneck builds

I havent ordered from ropemaster yet but havent heard anything bad and they got great prices on most stuff

That whipping will hold the carabiner tight in the loose eye. A triple thimble will have rigging loads applied...I wouldn't rely on whipping.

You aren't relying on the whipping, the splice still takes the load and the seizing just holds it in place. It's exactly how they made rope stropped blocks and rigging deadeyes were rigged in the age of sail, and it all still works the same today. They would use a grommet (rope spliced in an endless circle) and sieze the block and the thimbles. It works great with wire too. In fact standing rigging often was done solely with siezings, no splice at all. You do bring the good point that no matter what you need an odd number of holes so that the rope goes through the eye so if it pops out you won't drop the load.

View attachment 126794View attachment 126792

@WoodCutr i have several machines but this is by far my favorite, 1972 Lincoln sa 200, all copper wound, freshly rebuilt with staggered brushes. It's what i use when i weld pipeline, not to shabby for a 500 buck junkyard find!
id probably buy that exact machine if I ever get good at stick
on a perfect setup with clean steel and flat I can stick decent, out of position I cant even strike an arc

what size leads are those, Kyle?
im thinking of making longer ones for my inverter multiprocess, even tho I have a 30 ish foot extension cord for it, the leads are like 8ft so too short 99% of the time, and carrying leads, helmet, gloves, jacket, rod bucket, and welder in one trip aint easy, rather just roll leads out as needed IMO

Back