I’m a sucker for a bargain

Excellent advice...you can waste a lot of time trying to get the right bungee setup. Richard has done the hard work of making a lot of mistakes. I prefer to learn from other's mistakes and get on with the jobs/adventures that the developed gear is made for.

Got the ascender today. Came early. I'm gonna spend the weekend contemplating it, then try to get the materials together next week. I have most of what I need at work I think. I'll test it on my old ascender. Might as well use my new one with the shiny new webbing on my foot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Among other stuff, Wesspur has a couple 120’ lengths of 3/8” Stable Braid for 58$.
Really handy, tough, light rigging line or just whatever utility purposes you feel like using it for. I think there is an ANSI minimum diameter for climbing lines, and this stuff is too skinny but at 5600 lb MBS, it’s strong enough for climbing loads. Probably crazy static.

This rope is pretty inexpensive anyways, around 90$ for 150’, but figured it’s worth sharing in case someone wants a shorter piece.

Once I get a little better at splicing double braid, I’ll make a flip line out of this stuff to use as a lanyard with the Trango Vergo, pretty much same device as the Trango Cinch, but made for 9mm or 10mm line.

Last edited:
High line trolley.
We have the SMC I beleive.

SO high line. The orange is the tight high line. The small line is the 3/8ths that is the brake on the porty and haul back. The line through the large pulley is the winch line. Set up this way the load will rise with the brake on to the large pully. Then gradually let out the brake line so the load stays up and travels the high line. Actions done with portable winch. Once the load is over where you want it to be, you can release the winch line and or the brake to lower to your desired LZ.
Vid action at :28
received_683274365500320.jpeg received_521762315325394.jpeg

Last edited:
Got one of the 120' hanks of stablebraid. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with it, but if nothing else, it'll be a good utility rope. I asked before about quality 'hardware store' rope, and this fits the bill at a very good price. I also got the 20' length of Bifröst. I'm gonna use it as a bridge on my saddle. Get it? :^D

Yea, it's black based with rainbow threads

rop1br-3.jpg

Found it, looks like a strugglefest but far better than by hand I'm sure. I'll have to try it out with mine, maybe the higher winch point might help keep the front up. I'm hoping to be pulling much bigger pieces out, but sometimes it's just tons of smaller stuff that a trolley setup is king for. Thx guys

@Tree09; Forgive me if this is a derail. When you said "I'll have to try it out with mine", you were referring to the Reg Coates designed Arbor Trolley, were you not?
If so, I was wondering if you could tell me how long you've owned the Arbor Trolley, and what your general impressions are of it. I'm also wondering if you had any buyer's remorse after the purchase, due to the price point, or if you feel that it was absolutely money well spent.

I'll understand if you don't care to share your opinions on the subject. Thanks. Tim.

Edit: My question might be moot. I've been away from the forums for a time, for the most part. Has production of new Arbor Trolleys ceased? On both TreeStuff and SherrillTree all they have for sale is spare parts, it would appear. If true, anyone who owns one might want to buy up all the spare parts they think they might ever need, because they might not be available for too much longer. If anybody has heard anything about this, I'd love to hear from them. Thanks.

Last edited:
Good to read you again Tim, welcome back. I do have an actual stien arbor trolley, and despite having everything to build one from scratch i bought it. It is perfectly designed, and anything i would have built would have been inferior. I've owned it for years now, and since i lack a mini or other machine for moving stuff the arbor trolley is one of my most important tools. I've never once regretted the price, it's made me money. When paired with a log arch the arbor trolley makes moving stuff by hand as easy as it can be without an engine doing the work, and if you can figure out a small tow vehicle like a riding mower you'll really do well. You can pile all sorts of weight on it, but dragging it to the truck can still be a quite a workout because it's still you that is moving the stuff.

I'm part time, so investments in my tree business are competing with other stuff, and since i got sick taking out loans for stuff is a hard no right now. I've decided to build some winching setups to help move material, and so I'm interested in using my existing arch and arbor trolley with a winch providing the grunt. My chipper is an 80s chipmore chuck and duck, so if the branches were trimmed to fit the trolley they were sized perfectly for the chipper. I've since shimmed the anvil up, which allows it to "slowly" eat long leaders whole that would bog it down too much before, so I've decided a chipper winch setup is a good step forward, saving a bunch of hand work cutting and stacking branches and allowing me to pull whole leaders to the chipper. The arch will work great when winching logs, apparently you can set them up where the toggling motion acts as a brake so winching actually works ok, but i figured the trolley wouldn't be so easily adapted. Still better than nothing tho.

So basically yeah, the trolley is a great tool, but it costs roughly what 2 to 3 payments on a mini or something would be. It's a cheap way to increase productivity over having nothing at all, but it is a poor replacement for actual iron. But i doubt you will regret owning one, if you only use it every so often on a backyard nightmare you can't get the mini to it'll pay for itself, and since it's so easily to carry on the chipper tray it'll find itself on every job i do.

I'll second what Kyle said.
I bought what was probably the first one in Denmark and it is still going strong.
No need for spare parts.

Mine is coming off my chipper tomorrow for the first time in a long time.

I bought the extensions for the AT basket, but haven't used them, yet.

PVC stake extensions are clutch.

Back