I'm a Dealer Rep!

The 340 can run the HD BMG. I knew what he meant.

Willard, I'm pretty sure you're making the flats thing a bigger issue than it is. (I've never had a problem) Still, they can be foam filled then it won't be an issue

Why are you leaving towards the 4 post?
Myself having past experience with skidders in cut & skid logging operations, I'm trying to twin forestry work with arb urban work.
I would go 4 post so I can add forestry screen and a reinforced roof. I intend to do cottage lot clearing tree removal jobs with the 340 in much the same way as logging in the forest with a skidder. Think of the Gehl 340 as a minature grapple skidder..
Machine bumps a tree with dead top, top lands on the canopy roof, I back the machine into spears or chicots screen offers protection from the back and side, front protection is also an option. Screen is a must on forestry loaders and skidders, protects the operator and machine.
4 post offers protection from logs falling back from loads while loading.
Reinforced stump pans may need to be added.

Steel belted forestry tires are needed when the loader / skidder is used to run over limbs on felled trees [mostly conifers] to cut done on saw work limbing. The operator runs the machine's tires along the logs breaking off the side limbs and backblading with the grapple or blade to tear off the top limbs. Pine from experience has the worst sharp stubs near the trunk of the felled tree when the limbs break away.
Just driving over a tree with stubs or spikes can puncture a non steel belt tire easily. As I remember years ago when a greenhorn at our logging operation put a spare farm tractor tire on his skidder........it was flat within 20 minutes when he took it into the bush.

How does the 540 compare to Kubota 520?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, send me an email and I'll send you the comparison specs.

Carlrutherford@hughes.net

The Gehl does have the best controls of all the compact articulate loaders that I've seen. That's hugely important to me.

Carl, I can google the specs, I was just wondering if you had any first or even secondhand impressions about how the two compare, machine reputations, etc

What is it about the controls that sets them apart?

Carl, I can google the specs, I was just wondering if you had any first or even secondhand impressions about how the two compare, machine reputations, etc

What is it about the controls that sets them apart?

Don't forget price comparison, Cory!

Practically everything is on one joystick....lift, tilt, HI/LO, differential lock, grapple (secondary hydraulics).

A base 2 post ROPS 540 with a block heater is just under $40k for forum members. For just under $48k you can have cab with air, heat, radio, rearview mirrors, road lights, power attach, back up alarm, and sound reduction package.

Let me save your fingers the walking!
540comparedtoKubota520withdots_zps52247eb9.jpg

The 520 lifts very slightly more than the 540, and it lifts it 10" higher.
The 520 is 6.5" longer, 15" wider, and 9" taller than the 540.
The 540 weights 1900 lbs less than the 520.
They have comparable aux hydro hp.
The 540 has roughly 1800lbs more drawbar pull.
The 540 has locking differentials vs limted slips.

I have seen the control layout before, but I don't recall them currently. As far as I know it uses a seperate lever for the aux controls. As Scott said, on the Gehl, you have your loader's joystick. On that joystick you have your F/N/R switch, buttons to control the aux hydraulics, a button for differential locks, and the button to select high/low range.

From all the pricing I found on a used Kubota R520S the average is $40,000 plus for a 4-5 yr old with over 2,000 hrs.
Man there must be alot of rich farmers out there.

I'll take a brand new Gehl 540 for that kind of money.

I know the Kubota is a helluva machine, but it looks like the Gehl stacks up nicely against it.

On the Gehl, the aux hydraulics button on joystick, given that it is a button, can you still feather the hydraulics with it or is it more like simply on/off or engaged/disengaged? I definetly prefer featherablility which the Kub has on all its hydraulics.

Locking differential would be nice. The Kub can spin out on some rather innocuous obstacles, when you get, e.g., both the right front and left rear wheels high, the corresponding low wheels will spin.

A nice touch for any arctic if it is doing residential work on lawns full time is smooth tires. You would leave zero trace of passing. Todd Kramer has some on his 520, they are used airliner tires. But if you go in the woods some, then they would be n.g., unless you want to change them back and forth according to the job.

And the Kub dump angle at full height is not good. The Gehl has 6 more degrees, I wonder if that makes a significant difference?

What are you trying to do with feathering? The buttons are not proportional, but after pressing the button the hydraulics ramp up to full flow over a second and a half so they don't slam on and off. It does have continuous flow.

Thus far I haven't need anything more. I can grab something without crushing it. Running the stump grinder attachment would be tough with the buttons. I have just used the steering of the loader to "swing" the grinder.

However, on newer machines they have another push pull lever, below the joystick that offers a lever action. The original intent of the lever is to depressurise the system with the engine off for changing attachments. I've never had trouble doing that with with the buttons.

Given proper motivation I could likely design a proportional button system.

As well as locking differentials, the 540 has 2* more of oscillation than the 520 although the added width of of the 520 will make up for that.

Regarding smooth tires, the Titan HD2000 II tires do remarkably well on turf as well as dirt. There is a turf tire option for all machines though.

Here is a video of the 340 with the HDs turning on grass carrying a healthy log. I haven't figured out how to embed on my phone yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQZNDsTB2yU

Regarding dump angle, 41* is marginal for dumping dirt. I wouldn't have a dump trailer that didn't get to at least 45*. However most machines increase dump angle as they lower from max height, I bet at a similar dump height as the 540, the 520's bucket would be roughly at the same dump angle.

What's a new 520 go for?

The Titans are a good looking tire. Are they a little better on soft ground than a "regular" tractor tire like the Kub has?

Don't know the new prices. Mine was about 39k sans bucket or tax 6 years ago.

Better as in less damaging? Yes. The HD is is quite flat across the tread's width, and the center has less open area, which would result in less damage.

Just called the local dealer, he said roughly $55.5k for the base 520. List price is around $63.5k.

First sale for the Tree House gets called in to the office in the morning!

I'd like to be the second, but will probably be the tenth. I am still considering a 340. I just have to play my financing games.

At this time of year crossing the Manitoba/Minnesota border I may be travelling in a blizzard:\:...............reminds me of that movie "Fargo":O

:lol:

I'd like to be the second, but will probably be the tenth. I am still considering a 340. I just have to play my financing games.

Go bigger, 540, you'll be happier. Bang for the buck, it'll be huge compared to higher priced equipment like a bucket.

Go bigger, 540, you'll be happier. Bang for the buck, it'll be huge compared to higher priced equipment like a bucket.
I agree, even bigger my favorite loader would be the time proven Cat 950..........................
Alot of them for sale used under 40K

A tad big for residential tree work, no?

Back