I wanted a stiffer one

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
So this is what I can up with.....
ee34efc5e9a74283286dba7c41201059.jpg
edd8a2e4786f0cd2f3e81678a627967f.jpg
e838e15d742812a381089d63b24f471b.jpg

It's very rough because I didn't want to waste a lot of time if it didn't work. Thought?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looks pretty radical, but more power to you bro, if it works out. Personally my ABR Stiff tether works fine for my SRT Rope Wrench setup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ABR stiffy is not doing it for me or my partner. I took 3 strands of EHS wire and taped it to mine and that helped some but I still wanted stiffer. We'll see how this does. I won't be climbing again until next week.... I'm kind of excited to see how it does.

I don't climb with a RW, I do have one, haven't much time on it, that has always been my thoughts, to have an aluminum tether, may be with a little stopper to keep it from going too much neutral. I'm going to have one a bit thicker.

How are you finding the cherrybomb? It works good on my HH.

EMR did you drill the holes in the Al or was it in the material you used? I would prefer to see the tether in in between the plates of the pulley, probably not a big deal but it I would like it more. Never climbed on one so cant coment further

Can you please post a picture of it in ascent mode

If you have one, I'd say try it with a Pinto pulley so that is stays locked inside and can't slide out of position.

Another possibility is to read up on this thread, and find the post by yoyoman in which he shows a cheap, quick and dirty hardware setup that allows you to separate the Rope Wrench tether from the hitch. This would allow you to use the top hole of the triple attachment pulley for the tether alone. The entire thread is well worth reading, though.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/hitch-independent-zk-2-tether.24766/

I don't know if moss is a member here or not; I could have sworn that he was, but just now when I tried to look him up in the member list, I could not find him. He's the guy that started the above linked thread, and his work is just unbelievably beautiful, and about as far from "quick and dirty" as it gets. Truly inspirational to look at.

I'm hoping to try out my yoyoman version tomorrow for the first time.

One more idea I have, from looking at your current setup, is that you could create a 2nd piece similar to the first, only put a small offset or dog-leg at the bottom where it connects to the triple attachment pulley. This would create in metal the same thing they do with cordage when they put two eyes at the bottom of the tether to make it compatible with the triple attachment pulley. You'd have to use small bolts or screws through the two halves of the metal tether to hold it together, maybe just two would do it.

The offset piece would mean that the tether would wrap around both sides of the pulley hole you want to use, and thereby lock the tether in place and make it so that it can't roll out of position.

I hope what I've written is understandable.

Tim

I don't climb with a RW, I do have one, haven't much time on it, that has always been my thoughts, to have an aluminum tether, may be with a little stopper to keep it from going too much neutral. I'm going to have one a bit thicker.

How are you finding the cherrybomb? It works good on my HH.
Cherry bomb was my partner's. He said it was the most "OK, average" rope out there. He said the best thing about it was that it never broke when he was climbing on it. Hahaha. He didn't like how both eyes had the core popping through the sheath.

EMR did you drill the holes in the Al or was it in the material you used? I would prefer to see the tether in in between the plates of the pulley, probably not a big deal but it I would like it more. Never climbed on one so cant coment further

Can you please post a picture of it in ascent mode
The holes were in it. It's actually steel, not Al. I want Al, but the store I was at only had this. It just a 12 inch mending plate. If it works, I may get Al. I was going to drill more holes out of it to lighten the weight a bit. I used to drill out handles of items I took backpacking to save weight too..... It never seemed to affect the performance of my home-made spork :cool: I had a band the wrench from my last tether to keep it more positive and it actually works great on this one.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow.

If you have one, I'd say try it with a Pinto pulley so that is stays locked inside and can't slide out of position.

Another possibility is to read up on this thread, and find the post by yoyoman in which he shows a cheap, quick and dirty hardware setup that allows you to separate the Rope Wrench tether from the hitch. This would allow you to use the top hole of the triple attachment pulley for the tether alone. The entire thread is well worth reading, though.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/hitch-independent-zk-2-tether.24766/

I don't know if moss is a member here or not; I could have sworn that he was, but just now when I tried to look him up in the member list, I could not find him. He's the guy that started the above linked thread, and his work is just unbelievably beautiful, and about as far from "quick and dirty" as it gets. Truly inspirational to look at.

I'm hoping to try out my yoyoman version tomorrow for the first time.

One more idea I have, from looking at your current setup, is that you could create a 2nd piece similar to the first, only put a small offset or dog-leg at the bottom where it connects to the triple attachment pulley. This would create in metal the same thing they do with cordage when they put two eyes at the bottom of the tether to make it compatible with the triple attachment pulley. You'd have to use small bolts or screws through the two halves of the metal tether to hold it together, maybe just two would do it.

The offset piece would mean that the tether would wrap around both sides of the pulley hole you want to use, and thereby lock the tether in place and make it so that it can't roll out of position.

I hope what I've written is understandable.

Tim
I do have a Pinto but it was in the truck at the time. I always liked the HC better with my wrench, but I'll give it a go. You do make some other interesting points as well.... I'll have to ponder them a bit more.... I too thought Moss was a member here.. Maybe not?

I made an aluminum tether and used it for a while. It tended better and worked great on 3 to 1 but I ended up bending it a few times redirecting through tight spots. I was also a little worried about the leverage it put on the RW and HC attachment points when dragging it over a limb on redirects.

Yea and if your stiff tether lasts for more than 4 hours don't forget to call your hooker, or was that doctor..

Here it is in the neutral position. Still no action shots. Maybe Monday.

9a6c50451ca4b6c721ccb64609a5f459.jpg
2f2c03e261e05b584a7fbce6601f0b60.jpg
efae737b1466fc5cf9612a3ebf784434.jpg

Yep. Sure is. If it works I'll be working on that aspect of it.

Get your minds out of the gutter.... I want a rock hard, 12 inch stiffy. What's so hard to understand about that? Treestuff cant provide me with such a tool, so I took care of it myself.

Here's my old tether for what it's worth. All wrapped up in e-tape and reinforced with EHS. Probably about half the weight of my new version.

4149ba1e798a34fa4be4d81564e7222d.jpg

Back