I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, Ryan is very busy guy. Give him time, he's got quite a few irons in the fire.

I appreciate the sheer number of break tests he has on the channel. While I can say I've learned an awful lot, there's one main takeaway.

I break before most all of my gear, by orders of magnitude.
I'm sure he is very busy. Ryan is a good guy. He and I have spoken a few times over email and he's a very polite, humble guy. I also would have wanted to have one or two of my hitches shared with his community and break tested. But yeah, that's funny that you mention a load cell. As far as I'm concerned, that's my next big investment for my channel. I want the Linescale 3, the same one that HowNot2 uses on his field and drop tests. It's sensitive enough for break testing and not just force measurement, and much better than the Rock Exotica EnForcer because it allows for easy download of the output graphs on PC. The EnForcer only works with iOS phone software via a Bluetooth connection that I've read is pretty unreliable. I'd rather connect the Linescale 3 to my PC and download the data with a cable. Far fewer potential points of failure.

Anyways, the Linescale 3 is $999 on Ryan's new online store, but if I order directly from the manufacturer, it's only around $850. Well, "only" isn't the right word for that price! That's a shitload of monies. My only hope of ever owning one is by borrowing monies from my father. Or maybe I could convince him it can be my Christmas and birthday present for the next four years. If I had a dynonometer, like the Linescale 3, I'd be able to create SO MUCH educational content where I measure forces in favorite climbing systems, demonstrate force multiplication in basal anchors versus canopy anchors, and I could do drop tests and I'll take you up on your offer to help me pull things to failure.

How would you go about generating the pull strength? With Joan? haha

I'm sure he is very busy. Ryan is a good guy. He and I have spoken a few times over email and he's a very polite, humble guy. I also would have wanted to have one or two of my hitches shared with his community and break tested. But yeah, that's funny that you mention a load cell. As far as I'm concerned, that's my next big investment for my channel. I want the Linescale 3, the same one that HowNot2 uses on his field and drop tests. It's sensitive enough for break testing and not just force measurement, and much better than the Rock Exotica EnForcer because it allows for easy download of the output graphs on PC. The EnForcer only works with iOS phone software via a Bluetooth connection that I've read is pretty unreliable. I'd rather connect the Linescale 3 to my PC and download the data with a cable. Far fewer potential points of failure.

Anyways, the Linescale 3 is $999 on Ryan's new online store, but if I order directly from the manufacturer, it's only around $850. Well, "only" isn't the right word for that price! That's a shitload of monies. My only hope of ever owning one is by borrowing monies from my father. Or maybe I could convince him it can be my Christmas and birthday present for the next four years. If I had a dynonometer, like the Linescale 3, I'd be able to create SO MUCH educational content where I measure forces in favorite climbing systems, demonstrate force multiplication in basal anchors versus canopy anchors, and I could do drop tests and I'll take you up on your offer to help me pull things to failure.

How would you go about generating the pull strength? With Joan? haha
Joan, Gertrude, Massdam and blocks, my neighbor's big Case backhoe. Lots of ways to pull a rope, both slowly and quickly.

I like the idea of a LoadCell3 installed into a climbimg system, it goes with my earlier post about gear being stronger than people.

I've always wondered...

If someone could build some kind of piazo pressure system into the Gaff itself, or the connection to the climber-frame, it would be interesting to see what forces are required to gaff different woods. Another interesting experiment would be to forensic-ly examine gaff outs, and the physics that cause them.

Sorry, little drunk and rambly...

Joan, Gertrude, Massdam and blocks, my neighbor's big Case backhoe. Lots of ways to pull a rope, both slowly and quickly.

I like the idea of a LoadCell3 installed into a climbimg system, it goes with my earlier post about gear being stronger than people.

I've always wondered...

If someone could build some kind of piazo pressure system into the Gaff itself, or the connection to the climber-frame, it would be interesting to see what forces are required to gaff different woods. Another interesting experiment would be to forensic-ly examine gaff outs, and the physics that cause them.

Sorry, little drunk and rambly...
Your drunkenness has produced an excellent testing concept. We could outfit a pair of gaffs with with two pressure load cell sensors hard wired to a computer and gaff up various different woods. The only problem that I see with this test is the human variable. There's no way that we can reasonably expect either yourself or I to use our legs to push the gaffs into the wood at a CONSTANT amount of force or pressure. The best way to test this would be to have a computerized system push the gaffs, with the load cell sensors, into various woods at a constant amount of force and pressure and that is way above my paygrade at the moment.

Your drunkenness has produced an excellent testing concept. We could outfit a pair of gaffs with with two pressure load cell sensors hard wired to a computer and gaff up various different woods. The only problem that I see with this test is the human variable. There's no way that we can reasonably expect either yourself or I to use our legs to push the gaffs into the wood at a CONSTANT amount of force or pressure. The best way to test this would be to have a computerized system push the gaffs, with the load cell sensors, into various woods at a constant amount of force and pressure and that is way above my paygrade at the moment.
What about a sprung system between the Gaff, device, and the climber? I've seen such gaffs before, on this very forum, for climbing dead eucs as I recall. Perhaps such a system could be used to reduce the human variable. Also, there are far more proficient gaff climbers than myself, who might be better suited for such a test.

What about a sprung system between the Gaff, device, and the climber? I've seen such gaffs before, on this very forum, for climbing dead eucs as I recall. Perhaps such a system could be used to reduce the human variable. Also, there are far more proficient gaff climbers than myself, who might be better suited for such a test.
I think testing with a human applying the force would be the inccorect way to go about collecting data that is indisputable. Too many variables with a human's legs and, obviously, we want our test results to be replicable, so that other people can confirm our results and use the scientific method to validate our claims -- or at the very lest, trust our findings.

Too many variables to get repeated results from multiple people, unless you made it so specific as to be useless. It's an interesting idea though, and could generate generalized data regarding climbing different tree species. Gaff outs would be harder to analyze, cause the climb would have to be stopped, and the tree/force data analyzed.

Too many variables to get repeated results from multiple people, unless you made it so specific as to be useless. It's an interesting idea though, and could generate generalized data regarding climbing different tree species. Gaff outs would be harder to analyze, cause the climb would have to be stopped, and the tree/force data analyzed.
Also, trees and their resistance to gaffing, are highly variable. Just because we get some definitive numbers from one tree doesn't mean that it's going to apply to another tree. Also, we would need to test on both living trees and deadwood, to provide the full spectrum of analyses of every tree in every form. Again, ther is so much variation that it would be hard to replicate and hard to turn into a hard science. Finally, I think most people would give zero fucks about the data we collect, since all they do is press their gaffs, spurs, whatever, you want to call them, into trees. They just know that they need enough for to embed the gaff, spur into the wood. They don't care how much force it takes. I love your enthusiasm, though, @Kaveman.

I fear your last observation would be an accurate description for my point of view re the gaff tests...zero fucks given :D.

After all, how would I apply that to help me climb better? If I could see that, perhaps my attitude would be different.

I fear your last observation would be an accurate description for my point of view re the gaff tests...zero fucks given :D.

After all, how would I apply that to help me climb better? If I could see that, perhaps my attitude would be different.
Thanks for validating my claims as "the guy looking in." Your insights, as always, are invaluable, and I appreciate your participation in my thread.

Could mean nothing, could mean a revolution in gaffs. Enough R&D could lead to more ergonomic climber frames, and a "perfected" gaff angle and shape, and even location, possibly tailored to species or characteristics of the wood.

Any and all of this could lead to more efficient climbing, and less long term wear and tear on a climber's body.

What if I handed you an axe? Let's say this hypothetical axe can bang wedges with say 10% more efficiency, and chop and split with 5% more. The catch is that it costs say 50% more than any other axe on the market. At 70 years and change perhaps it doesn't matter, but at 20 years, it sure could make that 50 moving forward more comfortable.

SRT can be an order of magnitude more efficient than MRS. All that took was a few knots, then bits of aluminum.

Look at the difference in our saddles, from a belt, to butt-straps, to the big padded couches like the treemotion or monkey beaver.

An interesting thought experiment if nothing else...

I'm willing to work with you, @Kaveman, to perfect the perfect gaff. I hear your logic and it rings clearly. Although I'm not entirely certain how gaffs can improve form their current state, I'm sure Kevin Bingham was told the same when he sought to create SRS out of MRS. You and I have always been a team, so let us work together to come up with some kind of study. You and I already have other projects we are working on, so let's simply keep this on the back burner and we can address it at a future date.

This doesn't mean we have to stop thinking about it of course. Perhaps there is a better material than carbon fiber or steel that will hold an edge more reliably and more consistently without adding too much extra cost to the gaffs. I belive in you and your theory, so let's pursue this.

This would be a long ways down the road since getting a basic dynonometer would be first priority. Installing pressure dynonometers into gaffs wouldn't even be secondary, it might not even be tertiary on my list of priorities. But trust and believe that if my channel grows enough, I will take my revenue from AdSense and maybe apply it to such an endeavor.

Spurs are highly personal. The way to improve them would be to offer numerous styles, angles, and offsets, but that would require people knowing what they wanted before they bought.
Ah, you've added the fist clue to the ideal gaff puzzle: Customization!

Behold! My latest post on my channel (posted it an hour or two ago) for the G-FORCE friction hitch! This hitch is incredibly special because it has wraps at the top and then one of the hitch legs creates a loop around the tope of the rope and then has both legs crossing through the loop and behind the rope, creating an "X" in the back. This places a strong bend into the rope that is fully adjustable, alleviating stress on the coil.

This hitch was the one that inspired my PrecisionSRS 4 and 5 hitches. Not sure if you all remember them, but they actually both work without a rope wrench, so they are in the same class of hitches as the STICHT hitch that @Brocky developed. His is a lot easier to tie than mine, however, and the PrecisionSRS 4 actually doesn't require a ring to work, however, the PrecisionSRS 5 does incorporate a ring and is quite complex to tie, but works unbelievably well.

Here is the long form video for the G-FORCE hitch:

Here is the long form video for the PrecisionSRS 4:

Here is the long form video for the PrecisionSRS 5:

Although these hitches were designed with SRS in mind, they can absolutely be used as part of an MRS climbing setup to great effect!

Please let me know what you all think of the G-FORCE hitch (or the Precision SRS 4 & 5). I created and developed the G-FORCE hitch many months ago, but rediscovered the video and actually remade the video and the thumbnail so that it better matches my current editing and discussion style!

Thank you, everyone! =-D

Double bowline on a bight as termination knot on a six coil Prusik. Might reduce the strength of the loop by 50%, (basically meaning it retains full strength of a single strand of the cord in vertical orientation) but pretty damn classy and will keep your carabiner where you want it to be.

Seriously, this is so cool. Thank you, thank you, I know...I'm very clever. You're so kind. =-D

PXL_20240220_012453940~2.jpg

This will be my next post...

New hitch! Fresh out of the box!

Spent quite literally one day on this hitch and I'm super proud of it! It may be one of my best hitches even, but it's sort of a rip off...

This is my attempt to improve upon @Brocky's Sticht hitch in my own unique way. Introducing the...

SYNERGY Hitch!

Okay, so here's the thing...

My hitch is 75% NOT better than @Brocky's Sticht hitch.

"Why is that," you may ask?

Allow me to explain. Brocky's hitch is easier to tie and requires less hitch cord length than mine does. Also, he conceptualized this design and I merely partly imitated it.

"What about that other 25% where you say yours might be better?"

I'm so glad you asked. I say this because my hitch a) may allow for better even distribution of forces by the hitch legs against the ring b) it sort of, kind of, maybe looks cooler (sorry, Brocky;; I'm obviously biased, so please don't disown me yet),, and c) the ring is protected from abrasion. I had a d), but I stupidly started playing music, and with my incredibly attention span, it's as if the thought was ripped out of my mind. All I remember is that it is a pretty important consideration. Shit.

EDIT: Mine uses an elbow behind the ring like the Sticht hitch.

Anyways, please enjoy the video. If you don't I'll fill the dashboard compartment of your car with Flaming Hot Cheetos,...because I'm a dick...and you won't know until you are in your vehicle, go to open the dash and they all fall out.

Last edited:
Where's my damn cheetos? I'm not a huge fan, but i know folks who are, I could shift them things by the ton.
So...wait. This must mean you didn't enjoy my video...

You asshole.

Maybe I'll fill Joan's (you're precious John Deere tractor) engine cavity with Funyuns instead. What now? 😝

It's okay. I'm used to getting, at most 7-11 views from people on here. Mostly, it's a lot more dismal. We're talking 2-4 people on average. It's okay, though. I get it. My videos are pretty boring for people who don't really care about topology, knots, or friction hitches. I totally undersand why my content doesn't get a lot of views from this forum. Truly not a big deal.

I'm STILL going to keep posting because a) it serves as a permanent record of proof that I came up with "X" hitch or knot first, b) because sharing my knowledge and videos with the few people who do actually watch my content makes me happy, and c) because I have a moral obligation to share my intelligence and creativity with the world and to serve my niche community of knot heads.

The video I just posted has garnered zero views from anyone on here thus far and I'm okay with that. My YouTube videos perform MUCH better in that venue.

This thread improves my self esteem. It's a chronological sequence of some of the best moments and discoveries of my life. And for anyone who has enjoyed the journey with me, I am truly grateful for your support. God speed.

Just realized that my video cut off unexpectedly. Going to have to re-render and re-export it, so it will be unavailable until later today. I'll re-post it. Good thing nobody watched it bahaha

Back