Hurricane!

Limbrat

TreeHouser
The current track shows our town being center punched by Hermine. It's not packing much of a punch but no doubt will produce a good bit of work. After a storm, the county will normally pick up all of our debris for a couple of weeks so that's a big plus too. Supposed to make landfall about midnight.

It's the season. We just had a bad one here that plowed through up north. A different sort of cleanup, among the dead were nine people killed in a nursing home facility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's sad Jay. They cleared the one out here this morning, sent all the folks to Alabama. We've been spared here for about ten years now, I guess we're due.

Wise, Ray. Hurricanes (typhoons) are so common here, they generally don't think to evacuate. Strange how those big pinwheels of destruction can change direction, until they come ashore down south in the regular route in from the Pacific, people don't know which way they are going to head up the country.

A couple of storm pics and playing Jim Cantore. As a matter of fact, they pulled up to our local grocery store as I was leaving. A little high water and wind, nothing too bad so far but It looks like our only east/west road, highway 98 may get washed out again. P9010834.jpg P9010845.jpg P9010837.jpg

You're not going out there to catch some fish, Ray? There could be some unusual species that the swells brought in, maybe some critters considered extinct.

Good flick. That was a great scene in the storm with the guy up in the crow's nest, then unloading the shrimp.

Shrimping is pretty cool if you're not depending on it for a living. The shrimpers will do really good after this storm.

The latest hurricane here was on a route way far away, but it still blew my tomatoes plastic sheeting covering to tatters and blew over some plants. Wide ranging effects.

Haha playing Jim Cantore! He's such a drama queen, came to Bermuda once, tied himself to a palm tree in the 'fierce wind' and in the background the kids were running around.
In Bermuda we start to get a bit concerned when the wind is due to go over 80knots...nowhere to evacuate to, activate your hurricane plan, hunker down and have a party while you wait for it to go over. All things in perspective though, when its bad, its bad and you better be serious about it,
Hope it goes ok for you, we don't get the flooding you do, so here's hoping you don't get washed away!

Thanks Bermy. That's a funny story about Cantore. They should get acting jobs, or maybe they already have them! Getting a little nasty out now, they shouldn't have to act or hunt too hard. I put away some items for an elderly couple today who have a house on the bay. They said they want to remove these two boxed in pines in the second story deck. I hope they are still there after this blow is over. P9010847.jpg

75 knots is what they are calling for. It looks like the eye may pass just to the east of us now which is good news. The east side of the eye gets the strongest winds and highest storm surge with the counter clock wise rotation here in the northern hemisphere.

That's enough to shake loose some branches...but I suppose too if there is flooding once the ground is wet some stuff could go over.
All my experience with hurricanes is northern hemisphere...I know what you mean! :) I found once we owned property and boats, as exciting as hurricanes can be you really don't want them to be bad...too much damage is no good. Not to mention all the preparation time, boats, windows, generators, gas, water, food...and on and on.

Back