Hurricane Ike

Nah - we're high and dry here in Austin. Predicting less than an inch of rain.

I want my inch!! Sunny and not a single drop of rain :X Tired of having to water things:X

I am staying here for now. The guys I know with skid loaders are on their way now. I am staying here until my day rate gets met. Guess I am asking too much? :roll: Oh well, I don't work for free and I am not leaving the house for less than 4 bills.

Well it looks like old Ike is making it through these parts today .We must have wind gusts of upwards of 50 or more MPH .I got limbs down all over the place .

I just went outside for a peek after we had a short power outtage .Strange watching 100 foot oaks being blown 4-5 feet at the tops while 100 foot hickorys swayed 10 or more .:\: I have an idea the trimmers might be busy real soon .

We've got the same, Al. No rain so far though....the winds have been unreal! I was out in the garden wrestling with a tiller waiting for Dorothy (or a witch) to come sailing by.

At 2PM I went in to hear my son play (Mr. DiMartino, also) and the electricity to the building went out mid concert. The audience had its back to the windows, and the band (local brass band) couldn't see their sheet music so we did an en masse switch around....the show went on.

No rain at all. Just wind. :(

We went through 40 to 60mph winds here today up in Lexington, KY from the remain of Ike. Lasted all day. A ton of hangers and trees down around here. We've already gotten a few calls.

Everyone around us lost power for a few hours but we (RECC) only blinked a few times. Ha! Usually its the other way around. :D

Ahh, got sucked in. Picking up 2 new 440's in Austin today and going back for day 2. ;)

Knock on wood, sister! :rockon:

I'm knocking!

I was expecting my cousin from Louisville this morning, he finally called at about 10 and told me he's up to his eyeballs in storm crap, trees down, no power, etc. He's got a small generator going, and lucky to have it as he brought home 25 pounds of Salmon from Alaska last month and it's in his freezer. He said it was the same as around here, all that wind and barely a cloud in the sky. Strange.

DID find out my relatives down in Houston are all fine though.

Guess I should call over and make sure my MIL got her power back.

Al, will you see any flooding?
No rain V . ,just a lot of wind .--and as I predicted the trimmers are out today enmasse . As soon as I get coffeed up here in a little bit I have to break out a saw myself . A 3 cuber will suffice this time ,no need for a big iron ,thank heavens .:)

Ahh, got sucked in. Picking up 2 new 440's in Austin today and going back for day 2. ;)

Take some pics.

Any idea which part of town you'll be working? We still have our house up in Spring (north Houston) - the renter said it weathered pretty well, just a few missing shingles.

I'm going to copy this post written by a member on the fishing forum where I hang out. He lives in Texas and this is his thoughts on the aftermath.

Warning, some harsh language is used-

I'm logging out of society for a little while to calm down and pull up my collar so as not to show my true redneck spirit.

This is really starting to piss me off! I've been watching The Coast Guard, Air Force and National guard helo's and C-130's flying over my house since the storm began. The only time they weren't was at the heighth of the storm. Then they were back flying. These boys are putting their lives in danger just as much as the boys on the ground in Irag and Afgahnistan. Watching all of this I felt great pride in my country and at the same time a little guilty for not being able to help out in their cause. The exact same guilt I felt when our boys went to war. Now these same boys are manning the Points Of Distribution passing out food, ice and water without so much as a thank you from the undeserving population that they're helping. I say UNDESERVING because that's exactly what they are. As soon as the storm was over did you see these same people helping their neighbors-NO! Did you see them help anyone-NO! Did you see them even help themselves-NO! All you've seen them do is DEMAND that they are giving food, water and ice. ICE! I guess that the Marine Corps forgot to put that in the lesson plan when I went through JEST. How in the world did I survive without friggin' ICE! I do understand that ice is an important luxury but it's just that- a luxury. Katrina opened my eyes about how fast a society will deteriorate without the harsh hand of the law, but this is making it real. The friggin' sheeple listen to the retarded newscasters and determine that they are speeking the whole truth when all they are doing is running their mouths non stop so that there's no dead air in their report. The dead air is between their ears! Then the sheeple send their women and children to follow the long lines to food and water, while the men do the hard work of trying to figure out who and how they can rip shit off. All I've heard on the news is " Aren't you mad that they haven't gotten this to you sooner?" What happened to honest reporting of the facts? Why haven't we (the TRUE people) asked for the heads of these reporters who act like this? They know that people rely on the news to bring them facts but all they bring is fake controversy. Their actions make people dumber and dumber! I'm PROUD of what our boys have done here! I'm also very proud of city, county and the state of Texas efforts here. The sheeple don't understand the fact that YES it has ONLY been 48 hours since a major hurricane hit, BUT, the true FACT is it has been ONLY 48 hours since a MAJOR hurricane hit and your already standing in a line manned by our sons and daughters VOLUNTEERING to HELP you with food, water and even ICE.

frig ALL OF YOU UNGRATEFUL, UNDESERVING PIECES OF SHIT!

interesting article RJS, I cant say I am against most of the base idea thrown out there. That pic, man, talk about a torn up neighborhood!

Big winds up here in NY from the 'cane.

Just alot of limbs laying around, nothing to get excited about.

Back