How'd it go today?

Same. Worked for four hours, then spent another three-four cutting and splitting wood on the farm at work. I don't need wood, but I've been taking the cherry home cause I especially like cherry. Figured I'd fill my front porch(1-1.5 cord), then finish the burning season with the wood I already have. That's what I did this past season, and it worked out pretty well.

My PoulanPro is acting weird. That saw's been a problem since I got it. It's current trick is idling fast til it settles down. Almost seems like an air leak, but I don't know. I enriched the high screw a bit, and it kinda sounds like it's backfiring. It's done that since new, but turning up the high screw seemed to make it a little worse. I might go over it, and see if everything's tight as far as bolts go. Or maybe I'll just run it til it quits. I'm getting tired of it tbh. Maybe just buy another little echo, and keep it hidden well at the office.

Fixed some welds on a buddy's conveyor, and welded up a pump housing. Felt good to put a good on again, first time this year. Machine needed jumped but it ran well.

Continued on taxes where I'd left off a week ago - no motivation. Also got to Skype with an 89 year old couple in New York; former neighbors. The type of good friends you can always pick right back up where the discussion ended the last time. I was the first person they befriended when they moved to Delaware from NYC, and needed to understand what a lawnmower was and how to use it, through helping empty their home and take the last trash to the curb as they drove away after 40 years here on their way back to NY to be closer to family as they aged. Also serviced Karen's sewing machine - been getting a workout making masks.

Same. Worked for four hours, then spent another three-four cutting and splitting wood on the farm at work. I don't need wood, but I've been taking the cherry home cause I especially like cherry. Figured I'd fill my front porch(1-1.5 cord), then finish the burning season with the wood I already have. That's what I did this past season, and it worked out pretty well.

My PoulanPro is acting weird. That saw's been a problem since I got it. It's current trick is idling fast til it settles down. Almost seems like an air leak, but I don't know. I enriched the high screw a bit, and it kinda sounds like it's backfiring. It's done that since new, but turning up the high screw seemed to make it a little worse. I might go over it, and see if everything's tight as far as bolts go. Or maybe I'll just run it til it quits. I'm getting tired of it tbh. Maybe just buy another little echo, and keep it hidden well at the office.
Well hell, son...it's a Poulan :). Get over it...the thing never had much of a future, really :D.

Put the bottom on a little rowboat I've been building today. Cool to see a pile of boards take shape. I'll get a few pictures tomorrow when we're doing the planking.

It makes sense. My reading says the aerosolized virus can survive up to 20 minutes in the air floating around. Just being 6 feet away from someone isn't necessarily keeping you safe. That's why they are slowly starting to insist upon masks for everyone.

It makes sense. My reading says the aerosolized virus can survive up to 20 minutes in the air floating around. Just being 6 feet away from someone isn't necessarily keeping you safe. That's why they are slowly starting to insist upon masks for everyone.

Gary, as a med pro, help me out please if you can. The n95 masks which we use occasionally to deal with excessive dust when chipping, well I would think the virus could walk right thru and around the edges of that mask because isn't the size of the virus insanely small compared to the size of the particles that the mask is capable of stopping? Or is the key that, yes, the virus is tiny but it rides on vapor droplets which are indeed large enough to be stopped by the the mask material. But of course that still leaves potential ingress around the sides of the mask. What say you, sir?

I'll venture a guess and say the masks are to keep your breath and sneeze vapor contained not so much the other way around. You can pick up the bug through your eyes or an open cut.

And IMO the 20 minutes-3 hour life span out in the open is under ideal conditions as the suns UV ray will kill it. And really 3 hour life span is very short there are many bugs that can last days days out in the open, certain strains of Hepatitis can last for 45 days under ideal conditions.

Well hell, son...it's a Poulan :). Get over it...the thing never had much of a future, really :D.
True enough. I liked my old Poulan(my first saw). It didn't owe me a thing when it died. Started easily, ran great, and had decent power. I think it died due to my neglect. I'd pack it away with corn gas in the tank, and might not touch it again for a year. Only problem is no av, so my fingers would buzz when finished. This saw is the "updated" version of that. It has av, but everything else is cheaper. Only paid $75 for it NiB from a pawnshop. I was hoping it would last the rest of my life as my occasional use office saw. My previous one would have, but this one...

There's an echo sales event coming the 10th of this month. Debating on just buying another echo, but I can't decide on the model if I did. I love my cs400, but I already have a cs400. If I go to ~50cc, which would be a useful size, they come with .325 chain, and I'd like to stick with 3/8lp and 3/8 to keep my bar/chain stocks simple. Maybe get a 50cc saw, and change it over to 3/8lp. Decisions, decisions...

Well there is talk of easing restrictions here in Norway,we have been practicing social distancing for a few weeks.Many people working from home etc.

Not the cases of the virus the USA has,but a few all the same.

Gary, as a med pro, help me out please if you can. The n95 masks which we use occasionally to deal with excessive dust when chipping, well I would think the virus could walk right thru and around the edges of that mask because isn't the size of the virus insanely small compared to the size of the particles that the mask is capable of stopping? Or is the key that, yes, the virus is tiny but it rides on vapor droplets which are indeed large enough to be stopped by the the mask material. But of course that still leaves potential ingress around the sides of the mask. What say you, sir?

I only know about masks in what I read...not trained in N95's. But the concept of not having a leaking mask is familiar to me as part of our dive team and scuba.

In my early research on N95masks I found this video...it addresses many aspects of masks...filtration levels/designations, mask types, etc. At 7:15 it talks about the "fit" of the mask. You are right. Many folks do not fit the mask properly to their face. Even when I first used my 3M half face mask to remove fiberglass months ago, on the first day it didn't seem "right". I realized I had not fastened the lower neck strap and there was some open space. The mask has a soft seal that is excellent...when worn properly. I figured out with my N95 mask that I can cover the filters with the palm of my hand and inhale. The mask should suck down onto the face and not allow any air to enter around the seal. We do similar with scuba masks when fitting them. (see 9:40 mark on video)

This also has some good info. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/coronavirus-mask-messaging-intl-hnk/index.html

There is another article I cannot find right now about virus size and droplet size. It said that basically some non-N95 masks (dust only) might stop large sneeze droplets..the article discussed how small the actual virus is (you are right) and how small the simply exhaled droplets and virus are. It takes an N95 (or better) to filter out those small droplets.

If the mask does not fit properly the droplets go around the edge.

The mask can contain sneezed and viral laced exhalations from YOU so they can protect others. When I picked up my mother's tax papers at the accountant office yesterday, they had a person bringing the packets to cars, you sign for receipt and they carry on. It's a good attempt to minimize exposure but the girl had no masks or gloves. Is she contagious? No one knows WHO is infected. The latest I have read says lots of folks are asymptomatic (NO symptoms, or maybe they think they are having pollen allergies) and they are shedding the virus. I masked up before she got to my truck...figure it will protect her and me since we could either (or both) be infected. And I did glove up too....she was running a credit card thingy...has she been taking cards from someone that's infected...and she has it on her hands, etc. It's challenging...and a real mess. Hard to fight unseen enemies.

My martial arts teacher taught many "systems"....Animal, Edged Weapons, Stick, Grappling, etc. One was the Wizard System...he taught this system starting in May 2011. I studied it with him each week for 8 years until he moved away to Baltimore last October. This System is built upon the premise of fighting the demons we all experience...both outside and inside ourselves. This is how he described the Premise of the Wizard System....it resonates almost too well with what we all face right now:

Premises of the Wizard System

1. One of the ancient Weiza [wizard] beliefs was that man’s eternal enemy is the demon [evil spirit, the devil, Satan, etc.] that continuously attempts to destroy peace and harmony of humans, animals and plants.

2. The concept of "demon" symbolizes poisonous, venomous, toxic, negative and destructive forces that cause psychic and physical harm.

3. The goal of the demon is to capture human souls* and enslave them in the underworld for eternity. *[Difficult to translate the concept of soul.]

4. The demon is sly, crafty, skillful and cunning. It will change its shape and form** to persuade, seduce, entice, deceive and manipulate the minds and emotions, and finally to capture the human soul. It will attack with speed and stealth from the front or the back, from side to side, or from above or below. **[Demons can change their shape into human, animal or nature's forms.]

5. The demon can become invisible. It can attack with speed and surprise from the front, behind, sides, above or below. It only becomes visible when it attacks. Otherwise, it remains invisible to the human eye.

6. The demon can be defeated, but never killed or destroyed. It will put on different disguises and return again and again at unexpected times and places to disrupt the harmony of mankind.

I bolded #5...that is the insidious nature of the coronavirus that has so many concerned.

I only know about masks in what I read...not trained in N95's. But the concept of not having a leaking mask is familiar to me as part of our dive team and scuba.

In my early research on N95masks I found this video...it addresses many aspects of masks...filtration levels/designations, mask types, etc. At 7:15 it talks about the "fit" of the mask. You are right. Many folks do not fit the mask properly to their face. Even when I first used my 3M half face mask to remove fiberglass months ago, on the first day it didn't seem "right". I realized I had not fastened the lower neck strap and there was some open space. The mask has a soft seal that is excellent...when worn properly. I figured out with my N95 mask that I can cover the filters with the palm of my hand and inhale. The mask should suck down onto the face and not allow any air to enter around the seal. We do similar with scuba masks when fitting them. (see 9:40 mark on video)

This also has some good info. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/asia/coronavirus-mask-messaging-intl-hnk/index.html

There is another article I cannot find right now about virus size and droplet size. It said that basically some non-N95 masks (dust only) might stop large sneeze droplets..the article discussed how small the actual virus is (you are right) and how small the simply exhaled droplets and virus are. It takes an N95 (or better) to filter out those small droplets.

If the mask does not fit properly the droplets go around the edge.

The mask can contain sneezed and viral laced exhalations from YOU so they can protect others. When I picked up my mother's tax papers at the accountant office yesterday, they had a person bringing the packets to cars, you sign for receipt and they carry on. It's a good attempt to minimize exposure but the girl had no masks or gloves. Is she contagious? No one knows WHO is infected. The latest I have read says lots of folks are asymptomatic (NO symptoms, or maybe they think they are having pollen allergies) and they are shedding the virus. I masked up before she got to my truck...figure it will protect her and me since we could either (or both) be infected. And I did glove up too....she was running a credit card thingy...has she been taking cards from someone that's infected...and she has it on her hands, etc. It's challenging...and a real mess. Hard to fight unseen enemies.

My martial arts teacher taught many "systems"....Animal, Edged Weapons, Stick, Grappling, etc. One was the Wizard System...he taught this system starting in May 2011. I studied it with him each week for 8 years until he moved away to Baltimore last October. This System is built upon the premise of fighting the demons we all experience...both outside and inside ourselves. This is how he described the Premise of the Wizard System....it resonates almost too well with what we all face right now:

Premises of the Wizard System

1. One of the ancient Weiza [wizard] beliefs was that man’s eternal enemy is the demon [evil spirit, the devil, Satan, etc.] that continuously attempts to destroy peace and harmony of humans, animals and plants.

2. The concept of "demon" symbolizes poisonous, venomous, toxic, negative and destructive forces that cause psychic and physical harm.

3. The goal of the demon is to capture human souls* and enslave them in the underworld for eternity. *[Difficult to translate the concept of soul.]

4. The demon is sly, crafty, skillful and cunning. It will change its shape and form** to persuade, seduce, entice, deceive and manipulate the minds and emotions, and finally to capture the human soul. It will attack with speed and stealth from the front or the back, from side to side, or from above or below. **[Demons can change their shape into human, animal or nature's forms.]

5. The demon can become invisible. It can attack with speed and surprise from the front, behind, sides, above or below. It only becomes visible when it attacks. Otherwise, it remains invisible to the human eye.

6. The demon can be defeated, but never killed or destroyed. It will put on different disguises and return again and again at unexpected times and places to disrupt the harmony of mankind.

I bolded #5...that is the insidious nature of the coronavirus that has so many concerned.

37D73108-16BA-4A1D-90C1-4DF2D1D4ED3C.gif

Another beautiful day😎. Spent the day at a winery dropping and bucking dead ash. Problem is that property is primarily ash so his forested area is gonna be really bare when I’m done. Everything is going to lay until it dries up this summer or gets cold enough to freeze next winter. I’m hoping to save enough scrubbery that when things leaf out it will hide most of the mess.

Easy day. Flopped six oaks and a sweet gum this morning, then went and rigged/pulled a heavy-leaning Wild Cherry. All was good til the rope broke.... had enough hinge it held. Upped it to a 9/16”, and 2:1ed it to the Boxer and snatched it over.

Just found out Alabama starts shelter in place tomorrow evening at 5:00. Guess I’ll have to rush tomorrow’s job to get home in time!

Officially spring here...gas bombs (welding gas in barrel or bucket) going off on Friday. Gotta love it....Dog sure does :|:

Last edited:
Thanks, Gary, lotta good info there and I dig your martial angles too

Not Gary but, I think this has direct answers to a question or two you had.

N95 Re-Use Strategies - SAGES - https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Size of holes in mask material catches virus, as well as web of material it has to weave through, as well as electrostatic charge.

Back