How'd it go today?

I have had a patchy Dec/Jan, but picked up now, I rarely get more than a month in advance, that’s after 25 years in the job.

Part my problem is that I don’t try to get (or get invited to bid for) large scale local authority work. So it’s a day here, a couple of days there, that’s a lot of different jobs to find every year.

I try to hold my nerve in the quiet times, but it does get worrying, lots of daydreaming about different careers and jacking it in. Then you get a bit, then a bit more and its all ok again.

My year has been really weird.
Having Richard running the feller buncher and losing my two best guys to injury ( Not work related) and a forester job.
Getting a call from the second largest forestry outfit in the country, asking if we wanted to team up with them.

They are basically a cooperation of all the owners of smallish woodlands in the country.
We had a meeting and eventually carved out a companionship that will benefit us and them equally.

They have dropped so much work on us, that we have a hard time keeping up with our logging contacts.

They must be very satisfied with us, because last week they asked me if I'd like to quit working for myself and get a job with them, running their loggers and other freelancers.
Their reasoning was, that with my age, I won't be able to keep up full time logging.

Sweet offer, quite made my day , but I like being my own boss.
So we ended up with me accepting to do some of that for them, but still maintaining my independency.

Should make it easier for me to keep working as I get older, so fine with me.

Last edited:
Nice!

When one keeps hard at it, always working as hard as reasonably possible, things always seem to work out. 8)

Some places are frozen. We never get frozen ground enough for anything really more than staying dry. I bought Alturnamats this year for access. Summer is best for not damaging turf. Solid, dry ground, with turf ready to grow. More to clean-up in the wet, and harder to do as well at it.

We don't have a lot of forced seasonal pruning. I have elms at my house, with risk of Dutch Elm Disease.

I expected a little more work this winter, and off the top of my head, I had three more customers, contact about follow-up pruning work, but didn't get to it, yet.

Hey guys, so sorry that I just put up pics and then bail... Insane week. Insane. Insane, insanely busy.

Stig: Wow!

Corey: Yeah....

Greengreer: Dang, I'm kinda in love with NC now... That was an awsome pic of you up in that monster Oak or whatever weird monster tree that was over that house. Biggest biodiversity in North America, I'm told... NC, that is. Wow. Crazy place to be a tree-guy, I'd reckon.

No, man, that was a 32" bar. That thing was a pig, man. That pig was in the backyard... Our wood haul guy who has been with us for over 5 years took one look at that pig, and promptly quit his job as Eastside. :lol: (No, there were many factors, but that backyard, uphill, snotty woodhaul definitely factored in) That thing was a cannon, man, it was only 38"dbh, but still about 32" at 80'.

Mick/Stig/Sean: The ebb and flow of work in our industry can be a trial to cope with. At Eastside, we were essentially snowed out of work (except for 4x4 emergency jobs) for a good while. Then, my first week back... dang near 60hrs. No time to clean the car, or help fold my work clothes for the wifey, or to log into the House. Barely time to bring in firewood, or be any kind of a dad. Beer consumption WAY down.

We were all dang-near out of work there for a month, with two weeks off for Christmas break, and then another week off with a snow storm; now our woodhaul guy quits, and we've got work coming out of our ears till the end of the world.:lol:

I'm in a different biz, but it always slows down in winter here. As soon as the leaves start popping, everyone wants their big ass boundaries done, and you're racing the leaves so it doesn't get 500% harder. Irritating. They should be lining that shit up in October. I enjoy the slow times, especially the last couple years. I get my surveying work done, and it gives me a chance to play on the farm cutting wood, and clearing vines.

After being unemployed during the recession, I found out how little money I really need. Even working 1/2 time gives me a luxurious amount of cash, and I don't spend much of it. The last couple years I dropped a bunch of cash on forestry gear, but I'm pretty much done, and it'll last a long time, making me some money on the way. Life's tolerable :^)

I used to be set up for layoffs pretty good, but having kids and getting setup for pipeline work ruined all of that. Oh well, tis life.

Kyle, do you mean you had to buy a bunch of gear to be set up to do pipeline work?

Our slow season is as we come into winter holidays. People just hold tight to their money and that is also our wet time. All waiting on burn days. Have to wait to burn slash we staged all the rest of the year. Phone is starting to get busy because o.o f storms and pruning. Trees scaring roofs and what not. Then gang busters till everyone is dropping too much cash on weed whacking. Regular custys help there. Those we hit once a month pecking away on larger parcels.

Including the truck which of course is financed i have close to 85 k in gear, just for pipeline. The truck payment is pretty steep obviously.

Sounds like an avenue to not leave untended, Stig.

I am old, and as deeply experienced at finding a sweet place within a big organization operative that I am, I can see a potentially nice path there.

As I have shared here, by skill, luck, and gumption, I've always somehow been able to carve an independent career within a deeply bureaucratic organization.

I rather suspect you might have similar abilities. Really, all it takes is brains, more that the big org can bring to the table as a committee...not that large a challenge, actually :D. Though it must be said, the bastards can sometimes get even the best of us, short term. I did survive well, in the end :).

If it were me, I'd approach that opportunity, but negotiate/demand a seriously steeper compensation package than the first offer lays out. Perhaps require an onset date in the future that meets your desires.

After all, they obviously need you far more than you need them ;).

Last edited:
Had a few truck roll into town yesterday with some drought relief for the farmers. They came from down south near the border and it's a good run if you can do that in a car in 12 hours.

They also brought some rain, big storm a couple of hours after they arrived and it's raining again now. There's a bit of green grass in the video, there was none until a couple of weeks ago when we had a couple of storms.

83085077_1441979092636710_4980170731837980672_n.jpg 83085080_2768174503229280_6657386818482208768_n.jpg

wow that is cool!

If you weighed in on this earlier/elsewhere, forgive me I didn't see it; what is your take on the bush fires and the notion some hold that the government/prime minister is doing harm/being dumb by heavily pushing more coal/fossil fuel development in the face of global warming? Btw are the fires involving Gramame's area of big trees? Thanks.

Sorry to hear, Rajan. Pete, hope it all goes well. Beware slippery surfaces...slips put unexpected strains in weird directions. Was it a hernia repair, I think?

Back