How'd it go today?

The good news is I got to use my maasdam a good bit today. The bad news is I was using it to install fencing. The really bad news is it took a chunk out of my finger when I was cranking hard on it, the plastic thing on the handle came off, and the metal snapped forward hitting my finger. Got blood everywhere. Other than that, it worked pretty well, and gives finer adjustment than the skid loader which wouldn't start in the cold this morning.

Forgot, the guy helping with the fencing had a Stihl 181c. That's a weird saw. Has some kind easy start system, so you pull the cord, let it retract, then the saw starts. It's like watching a video with the audio out of sync :^D

The plastic handle of my new Maasdam comes off too, not on my first one. That's really annoying when you crank hard on it. I didn't put some blood on it though. A low profile fastener should be a good idea.

I am having a couple of days off work and a kicking off a little road trip today. Heading about 6 or so hours south to pick up the new pup tomorrow morning. Having a stop off to see my two godsons tonight so it's looking like a god d trip. Hope to get back early evening tomorrow with him.

Consider if a trip to an indoor climbing gym would make a good company training for anyone showing prowess a
Forgot, the guy helping with the fencing had a Stihl 181c. That's a weird saw. Has some kind easy start system, so you pull the cord, let it retract, then the saw starts. It's like watching a video with the audio out of sync :^D

The BR800 blower has a similar deal. You can re-start it while wearing it, too. Picked one up a few months ago.

Starting to tear apart my second 088. Flywheel bearing feels like the cage broke. I need to make a flywheel puller and case splitter. Any hints or tips?

20191114_154905.jpg

Your second ( of three)? Oh the envy I have!
Honestly though I despise mine. Don’t get me wrong I love it when I need it. I just hate the times I have to use it.

sorry I have a seen from the Adam Sandler movie in my head but YouTube won’t let me copy and paste anymore. If you’re familiar with The Wedding Singer ,” I used to be much stronger”

Picked up some water this morning for the boss' horses, and saw a new little elevated pen by the barn. Look inside expecting bunnies, and a one legged duck(mallard hen?) hobbles out, tries to get water out of its' bowl, but fails cause the water's frozen. I got one of my canteens out and put water in its' bowl, but it had gone back in the hutch.

Turns out it's from one of the women that has horses on the farm. They were in a shop/farm somewhere, saw the gimpy duck(looks like a birth defect), and her daughter wanted it. I'm gonna withhold judgment for now. She was gonna water it this morning, and said she had a heated water bowl at home, but she should do something better for the bird. First, I think it should have its' screwed up leg amputated, and it should have a warm place to sleep for winter. An elevated screened cage isn't that great I don't think, and it should definitely have water available. Felt sorry for the duck. I'm gonna keep an eye on it as I come and go, and make sure it's being well cared for. Nice little duck. I can see why her daughter wanted it.

@treebilly, don't have too much envy, I have not fully paid the hydro and gas bill.

Milling is turning out pretty good for me, the saws I bought for roughly $600-$1000 a piece. (And some live edge). Last year I lost a lot.of milling jobs when my saw had problems.

Made a new half door out of the spruce I cut last week(?). It's pretty sloppy, but it'll do the job, and it's a hell of a lot lighter than the ash door I made. Lit another Swedish candle. That's becoming a weekend tradition. Gonna be disappointed when my spruce rounds are done. Pretty lit. A couple beers, a couple whiskies, a fire in the stove, and just finished a can of potato soup. Things are pretty good right now :^)

Had a possum in my garage last year I think. Kept hearing noises in the garage. Grabbed my axe, turned on the light, and threw open the door. A little possum was sitting there looking at me. Thought "I don't feel like dealing with this right now", and closed the door. He let himself out I guess. Never smelled anything anyway :^D

edit:
Found my old posts on another forum...

There's something in my garage right now. Debating whether or not to see what it is. If I open the door, and it's a fast whatever, it could be in the house. Sounds kind of big. Not a mouse I don't think. Maybe it's a kitty. Could be flying monkeys! How cool would that be?!

Decided not to be a little bitch, and I looked. Axe in hand, I turn the light on, open the door and...

It wasn't flying monkeys :^(

It's a little possum. Not sure what to do about that. I guess he'll let himself out later. Not up for possum wrangling tonight.

:^D

Last edited:
@treebilly, don't have too much envy, I have not fully paid the hydro and gas bill.

Milling is turning out pretty good for me, the saws I bought for roughly $600-$1000 a piece. (And some live edge). Last year I lost a lot.of milling jobs when my saw had problems.
If milling is turning into a good business you should really look into a band mill. Less time, less waste, more lumber, and lastly more profit. There is a guy in the area and that's all he does is portable saw milling.

Rollers/ skid logs/ plywood and a winch. Build a log arch.

Logs are mostly round. I skidded walnut logs off a job onto the lawn, then rolled them at the balance point onto a pivot-point made of a branch or chunk of wood, where I could spin it 90 degrees to go around a corner, then rolled them all the way to the road. A wrap of the winch rope will roll a heavy log.

Chainsaw milling them in half makes them half as heavy. Quarters make it ready for quartersawn or one live-edge.

Last edited:
Went to Sprouts(higher end grocery store) this morning to get a couple things. Mainly meatless sausages and some sushi for breakfast. They were selling Yule Logs™ outside the store. A single ~6" birch log with cuts through the top aka, Swedish candle. $7/each...

I'm sitting on a gold mine here! Mine don't have that sweet nordic birch bark exterior, but I can let them go for the discount rate of $5/each, and they'll be 50%-100% wider. Bargain of the year! :^D

edit:
Here's a bit smaller log from the same company(this one has more reviews)...

People seem to love it, but give the helpful tip that it's much cheaper locally. Only $12! Amazon price is $10,298/cord. That is kinda high. Buying local is much better deal. Only $4,096/cord :^P

Last edited:
Made some firestarters for the boss' girlfriend. Oak noodles soaked in melted scented candle, and put into paperboard snus tins. Need to wrap them in something, and maybe top off with a dollop of melted wax. I have some brown paper lunch bags /somewhere/, but I can't find them. I think that would be a good wrapper.

Rollers/ skid logs/ plywood and a winch. Build a log arch.

Logs are mostly round. I skidded walnut logs off a job onto the lawn, then rolled them at the balance point onto a pivot-point made of a branch or chunk of wood, where I could spin it 90 degrees to go around a corner, then rolled them all the way to the road. A wrap of the winch rope will roll a heavy log.

Chainsaw milling them in half makes them half as heavy. Quarters make it ready for quartersawn or one live-edge.

I will cut thick slabs that I can handle with the help available at the time to move.

Most of the time I'm milling for the customer to keep the slabs, and often there is barely enough room for my F150 alone.

A log arch is in the plan book, but my cart can carry quite a bit.

Keep on the chainsaw mill if you have that niche market. I’d love to do it but I’m already trying to fit more hours in a day than nature will allow

Had a decent day. Made the decision to bang over a few hazard trees this morning. Not because they were unsafe, I was just being lazy and decided to remain that way. While the guys worked in cleaning the mess up this afternoon I topped out a maple to fell and this beanpole of a wild cherry. Dang cherry was 20” at the base but I still took an 8” diameter top at 90’. Holy sway! Reminded me of Reg’s tall fir video. The guys were enjoying me kicking my spur in every time it would buck. Next one on the list is a bit taller but also has a bit more base. Not sure if I’ll climb it first thing or do a few smaller ones for a warm up in the morning

Made some firestarters for the boss' girlfriend. Oak noodles soaked in melted scented candle, and put into paperboard snus tins. Need to wrap them in something, and maybe top off with a dollop of melted wax. I have some brown paper lunch bags /somewhere/, but I can't find them. I think that would be a good wrapper.
At my old house that had a wood burning stove, I used the store bought fire starters, but cut them maybe 1-2” long. They worked great too, just a little chunk of that stuff will start seasoned wood around 4” thick. Couldn’t go right to big pieces, but no screwing around with kindling.
I think honey locust was my favorite for heat and longevity. Seemed like there’s a correlation between heat and time and pretty flames. Big flames and pretty romantic fires didn’t give a ton of heat and was feeding the stove every 3-4 hours. Smaller flames with more hot cinders from heavier wood gave off lots of heat and lasted much longer but not much light.

Back