How'd it go today?

After the mushroom ravioli and pesto focaccia bread...WRAP your thumbs!
Estate owners are in residence now, so no lunches for a week, bet I know what they'll be eating though.

Time to knock out some outside jobs, casuarinas more coconuts, some volunteer work in a nature reserve on Saturday , poinciana pruning

Took the truck & camper to the tire shop next door to check the tires out and they found a nail in the rear truck tire. Getting that plugged now...glad I had them check it out. Have about 750 miles to put on this weekend.

Have a good time Dave.

4 pine and spruce stumps today. Did a deep cleaning and tightened up carb bolts on my 192t, seems to be back to normal now. Have to sharpen and order more stumper teeth. Have a few pumps to repair in the shop, hope I can squeeze in a cleaning on my 038. I have my eye on a project 064, hope it can be had for cheap.

Thanks Peter.

Nice! 8 Tires all aired correctly and one plugged = no charge. :)

Of course, I have spent over 2 grand there in the last 3 years...:lol:

Good to read everyone. Been slaving away here and no end in sight being 3 weeks out. Not ungrateful mind you just feeling the pressure of still doing estimates and saying we are three weeks out.
Today cost me with us working a storm area somehow managed to find a box of roofing nails at a intersection 4 tires on a 450 dollar job and it's always the newest ones :mad:
My wife and photographer has been to busy as well to take much for work pictures, try and rectify that soon.
Continue to take care all! I've got to catch up on some of these good threads!

I'll keep it a brief as I can.

My new chipper (50 hrs) has developed a problem when the stress control stops the rollers, they've got into the habit of not restarting, meaning I have to reverse the rollers and start again, this first surfaced a week or so ago, I phoned the French importers (it's a British made machine) who said the belts want tightening. I've owned and used these machines for a good while, loose belts cause different issues in my experience.
I was dubious, told them I thought it was electrical and said to them the belts were as tight as recommended, certainly as tight as the first day I got it. They insisted so I tightened them a bit, even "face timed" the engineer to show him (as the problem was continuing during the testing I was doing out back) he brushed me off with "they need to be tighter than that" I actually threw and ruined a belt because they were contorting over the smooth adjuster. I'm aware that over tightening can ruin the main bearing so I stopped.
I phoned the UK and explain the problem, they straight away said they had a bad batch of ignition sets had been sent by Kubota and apologised, immediately sent off three belts and a brand new ignition set FOC.
A mistake was made and they've done their best to rectify it, luckily I've kept my old 6" chipper so I can carry on working.

I'm relating the story to highlight the problems I encounter here with everyday service from French companies, by and large they do not give a monkey's toss about you, your 30k investment or the promises you try to keep to your clients.

That's my allotted moaning for the week used up, thank you for reading.

I'm relating the story to highlight the problems I encounter here with everyday service from French companies, by and large they do not give a monkey's toss about you,

The french are snobby tools, so I've heard.

Good to read everyone. Been slaving away here and no end in sight being 3 weeks out. Not ungrateful mind you just feeling the pressure of still doing estimates and saying we are three weeks out.
Today cost me with us working a storm area somehow managed to find a box of roofing nails at a intersection 4 tires on a 450 dollar job and it's always the newest ones :mad:
My wife and photographer has been to busy as well to take much for work pictures, try and rectify that soon.
Continue to take care all! I've got to catch up on some of these good threads!

Try telling someone you're 14 weeks out! Glad to hear things are busy for ya bro!

Had a temp worker to help my regular groundie (medium-duty-- with healing, stitched, wood chisel wound to the trigger finger), and myself, at an ongoing maple removal. Temp worker told me how his friend just lost his arm up to the elbow in a chipper accident.

He was not very fit/ strong. Seemed pretty whooped after an hour or hour and half. Said I had the cardio of a race-horse (I did the bulk of the chipping. Didn't return from lunch. I don't think I'd want to feed a chipper all day after something like that happened to a friend.

My two employees will be done with school in a week, and I will have full time 2 guys and a mini. Got a job inquiry from a guy with a bunch of experience working for a bigger time company, a portland suburban municipality, etc. He could be a good addition somewhere, part time. I've needed a foreman climber or office/ sales to keep up with work available, and take on more of the market share, but as it is now, I sometimes don't get back to people for days, and take 2 weeks before I can get to some distant bids.

Got paged out to a structure fire on the second floor balcony of the Thunder Bay Inn early this morning.

(stock photo)

19776531.jpg

All but certain it was a smoker and a plant potted in peat (dry peat) that caused it. Got into the wall a bit, but blown foam insulation limited it's progress. Old balloon construction, dry hemlock, we've always worried about this one. We ripped the wall apart, blasted it with foam, and poked around in the crawl spaces with the thermal camera. Looks like they got off super light. Little bit of siding and some muddy boot prints on the carpet.

Out.

Maybe it's the same over there, but here when someone gets food poisoning at an eating establishment, the place gets shut down immediately by the health department while they investigate. The restaurant gets mentioned in the paper, so even after being allowed to reopen, business can be sorely hurt. A vendor bringing in food supplies to a restaurant can also bring in the bacteria, so even with much care to avoid poisoning by the establishment, things can go awry. Got to be so careful running a food place, especially a high priced joint with reputation on the line with a discerning clientele. Pretty much need to go overboard on preventing it is my understanding.

Back