How'd it go today?

Was pruning a group of blue oaks for one of our regulars. Thought I would show you this big fella. I will probably start on it in a couple week or so.
Quercus kellogii, CA black oak. 90' spread. Possibly 90 foot to the tip tops. I'll know more when I get a line in it.
Maybe 7 plus feet DBH. Put the fam damnly under it for reference.
Dead wood and mistletoe prune. :)
I love loyal customers. :D
If Stig shows up, I'll see about putting him in it with me.
IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0503.jpg

Good times Man ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 47
Dropped this Dead, big tall pondo today and underestimated its height (over 135ft) and just whacked the power lines, thank God they didnt break...

Stump jump was about 12 to 15ft down hill...didnt figure it in, just going to turn it down next time, not worth it....I got learned, thought Id share my mistake but ended good

Sent another Certified Arborist buddy and my ground out by themselves for the first time today... Little nervous, but they're solid. They worked like mad for 11 hours today, bringing in over my target hourly, so that was rad. 10 Barrel Swill beer waiting for them when they rolled up. frig this week, onto the next.

I looked at a decent sized cottonwood today that was struck by lightning two days ago. Crazy path it took, blowing the bark wide open but nary a mark on the wood underneath? Threw bark up to 40' away, happened right in front of the homeowner while she was washing windows in the kitchen which directly faces the tree about 30' away. The homeowners aren't interested in keeping it at all anymore. Craner if I get it, which I think I will.

I know we're all chainsaw/climbing/tree nuts here but I just got a new horse last night and am pretty damn excited about that. Our first mare, seems a real sweetheart so far. We've only had one good riding horse so far this year and it's really cramped our style, so this horse is a welcome find.

Seemed odd to me that it only damaged the bark? The wood doesn't even look singed? I've got pics on my phone, but I'm having trouble getting my devices to 'share' their pics and if I post from the phone they're for sure sideways.

I'll be interested to see how the wood looks if we get to do the dissection. Hit I'd say about only 1/3rd of the way up, just above/at the 1st major branch union..

Good luck with the horse flesh!

Lightning-struck trees can be nutty. 3 stick in my mind- a big (24''x85') white pine got hit, near where I park my trucks. I was about 1.5 miles away and heard the strike, which sounded like a huge bomb went off. Turned out what I heard was that tree being hit and it just got blown away- the whole thing was shredded and it exploded into pieces no bigger than 2-3' long except for the 4' high stump and a 25' long trunk section laying on the ground. These hundreds of chunks of wood got hurled up to 200' away and one punched a big hole in the roof of an adjacent factory.

Another one is an oak that got hit and blew every bit of bark off the entire tree. We took it down, and when bucking the 24'' trunk into firewood rounds, each one fell apart into 4 perfect quarters as each cut was finished.

Another strike hit a tree without causing too much tree damage but ran down the trunk, traveled thru the ground into the house leaving a tunnel like a giant mole, blew mud all over the side of the house where it entered, and knocked out every piece of electronics inside.

The power of nature

I saw thaat happen too Cory. Whacked a blue spruce, blew out the ground beside the house and the mud caked the back of the house so hard it dented to aluminum siding and blew out a window or maybe two.

yha2anan.jpg

Picture for Bonner…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to a seminar in Griffith Park yesterday. Annual safety seminar with the TCC today. Yesterday was only John Ball all day, and as usual, he showed the pic of MB spread eagle, one-handing and a smoke in his mouth. Just thought I would mention it,

Wow Shephen, big Oak!

Squish, congrats on the new Horse. Hope she works out great for ya.

Just finished up a Two day job in the same little neighborhood I've been in off & on (mostly on) for a couple weeks now. Their not out of trees there yet...have to take out 9 good sized White Pine on one side of where I just finished and waiting to get the go ahead on another three large trees on the other side. Glad it's not far form home as much work as I'm getting there:)

Back