How'd it go today?

I lost my apprentice last friday. Didn't get a chance to post about it till now.
He graduated, so he is no longer my apprentice but still works for me.
I think Martin is the best one I've ever had. He has shown real talent for falling and climbing as well as an unusual worh ethic.
Once he has a few more years of practice, he'll be hard to beat, as a production faller/climber.
Nice to end my long run of apprentices with such a fine one:)

His reward for sticking it out with us ( I am a very demanding teacher) will be a trip to climb the big trees in California this summer.
Plus, of course, a job for as long as he wants it.

Nice going, Martin! Finishing an apprenticeship is a time for joy. Did you give him some congratulatory words, or some more instruction? :lol:

We gave him a new WV syncro, which he will be allowed to use privately as well.
A somewhat sneaky way of giving someone what amounts to a payraise and keeping it tax excempt.

I did congratulate him and said "goodbye apprentice" on friday and "Hello co-worker" on monday.

We have a big crane job today, and I'm putting him on as climber.
Be interesting to see him perform with the pressure of having a $450/hr crane waiting on him.
I just hope it doesn't end up costing me too much money.
But if you want them to become good, you have to give them responsibility.

His last day as an apprentice, I sent him to do a job with his class mate, who is working for us as well.
A prune job and a repollard involving some lowering over an old fragile roof.
He bid the job himself and pulled it off in the time he'd calculated. I never saw the trees myself, but let him handle everything.
Monday I got a call from the owner, telling me has was very impressed with the professional attitude of my guys and that he'd be recommending us to others.
Heck of a fine way to end an apprenticeship IMO

That's great for both of you Stig! Good instructors are as hard to come by as good learners.

Good luck on the crane job!

i climbed the first 1/2 day topping Red Oaks, then ran skidder 'til we couldn't see for the dark. First time on the skidder. Everything that was cut made it ot the landing so guess I did ok...

Meanwhile, new guy helping dumped gas in the bobcat (diesol) which made for a not os happy day. Didn't get run so drained what they could and will pump the rest out this am.

I get the pleasure of going to the Dr. today for my annual checkup. That sure is one ornery little woman.

Stig, As an ex-college instructor, it is always nice to see your students do well on the job. I am in a position now where I am able to suggest that we hire them to upgrade the department. Glad Martin worked out so well and wish we had more employers to help out with the OTJ instruction like you have. Give him my best for a great future in the trees. Bob

Had a great day beat the rain job done and cleared up , then on the way back tire burst on the chipper but the good thing was we were turning into the yard. Had a new one fitted so ready to go in the morning.

Day off, lots of tea, a few errands, paid a few bills, slept on the sofa for an hour. Walked the dog, pint down the bar, slept On the sofa a bit, then washed the cups up before the wife came home, (and erased browser history if you know what I mean)

Obviously you were shopping for a surprise belated valentines present for her and you don't want her to find out and spoil the surprise.

Nice Ross!
Not so nice here...boss & one guy worked in blowing rain/snow to drain tank on Bobcat, get it running, then stack logs & grade landing for the freeze. I brought them some diesel, but then had to go to doctor.

doc says I'm healthy, for what it's worth but have to go in again later to have something removed from face that she says is cancer. Not surprising I guess as I've spent most my working life out in the sun...

Fell some view stoppers on a cliff face for customer....anchored my climb line up top, descended to the work like rock climbing....about ten stems only two were greater than sixteen inches across...got 'em all in progression...of course the lowest Tree on cliff had uphill lean...did all the others downhill and sidehill lay...then had to go back down for the last Maple , they have go where aimed as there was nowhere to run...I only wish I had anchored up higher as I could ascend the cliff w / twenty inches of snow fairly easy.... just like all rigging as the line angles flatten out they are less effective

Worked on getting my skid road in for the little pine logging job I'm going to start soon. It starts at my mill and goes into the woods out back to my neighbors. 500 or 600 yard skid and no trucking. Got off the skidder to scout ahead and went in almost to my waist. Going to work on getting my ring chains on the skidder this weekend. Don't need to stick the skdder in the woods, got nothing to pull it out with.

Back