How'd it go today?

Pruned a tall Pin Oak today, just the large dead mostly. Its in decline so it'll probably be a removal soon, looked like a lightning strike up top.

Spent the second half of the day rocking the 660 with a 32" bar cutting up some big ass Burr Oaks that blew over in a storm. Smallest was 34" I think, biggest is near 6ft, gonna have to stretch to get that 32" to work! Just cutting the main trunks mostly, farms guys cleaned up what they could with their 20" bar. I'll grab some pics tomorrow, its kinda humbling to stand next to the 6' trunk and feel dwarfed. All solid wood too.

Killed 12 big pines today, just set a rope and pull. Easy peasy, just long hours - 9. I don't usually work that long.

I needed a bull dozer more than a file. We had to roll it with the 2 ton and a bull rope. The work order said "cut to size that golf course emloyees can move with loader."

How bigs the loader? no idea

i made top cuts as deep as i could from both sides and couldnt split it. when we rolled it, she broke in two, cut a little more and left it. 2 pieces likely weighed 5k lbs each! Hopefully they can flip it with their loader and break it apart, otherwise we will have to go back :(

Nothing spectacular today .Cut up some very bad oak logs which I had no idea they had deteriated so badly ,brush pile fodder .

Since we got rain the grass has went into overdrive it seems .

Ordered parts and chain from Baileys including a 123 driver .404 chisel for the 084 .I got to thinking ,a big old giant saw like that doesn't get enough exercise to keep it running right in this neck of the woods .Truth be known most likely even in the PNW they don't .

Really it's kind of shame because sooner or later the seals and carb are gonna go funky from lack of activity .Between Tom and I that big old bruiser hasn't cut more than ten minutes the last 5 years .Sooo I'm going to have to force myself to run it plus the other large saws at least on occasion to try to keep them in fairly good order .

Guy we worked for today and yesterday changed the job on me again. :dontknow:
Took a small pondo down and then a couple more that had beetle and Western Gall Rust. Then took another one.... You see where this leads eh?
Finally, last couple hours of the day we SQQQQQUUUUUUEEEEZE the truck and chipper by a small cabin and start clearing an old mining road. ANd I mean the tires on one side are rubbing the foundation, mirrors folded, and the other is pruning lilacs :lol:
Got paid and came home, then ran errands in town once we unloded the second load of the day. Two trucks and a trailer full.
Kids are having fun getting ready to roast hot dogs out back in the fire pit, Kat is at school and I am whooped. Easy peasy job tomorrow and then I have a butt load of legal crap to run around and do.

We're working on our big cottonwood/park job this week. Right on schedule and we took out the biggest nastiest bastard today. Feels good to have that one down, should be fairly straight forward to finish it up in the next couple of days.

Chris, I cringed when I read about you holding your lowering line in your teeth. Teeth are expensive man, take it from me. Use caution.

We worked a big London Planetree today. about 6' dbh. big spread, central trunk cracked at an inclusion. As the State is not into cabling and bracing a huge tree over an office building that they may sell sooner or later, the decision was make to remove that whole trunk. Thankfully we had landscaping, irrigation, and precious lawn to protect while trying to squeeze that 85' tall section past the truck with very little room to spare, very little. Big boss came out at lunch to talk to my supervisor, and watched the show. He was impressed. Two cranes parked in the yard at this other state agency where we were working, but they were shy about craning unfortunately, as it would have been soooo much easier. Something about that roof on a stadium, maybe in Chicago, where they tipped the crane, and the bigger 20 ton swing cab crane just has a $230,000 repair from said agency tipping it over this summer. Engineers didn't want the outriggers fully deployed, as there was a bailey bridge (army temporary river crossing bridge) that they didn't want blocked or something. Two weeks of working at that site/ setup, and they had something drop a little bit and shockload the crane just enough, I think.

Tomorrow, off to get rid of some trees growing up into the freeway views for the traffic cameras used traffic flow regulation and emergency services.

I have a bid requested for two maple removals, the bigger at 6' dbh, as measured, has at least three cavities at the base, and is HOLLOW, sizeable enough dead section that is over the neighbors' roof and deck, with glass patio doors and panels below the deck railing (water front on a lake). 100' radius means probably no crane, unless we can get them to remove a 8 step flight of stairs to their deck to squeeze the crane past the side of the house and into the back yard.

Hung with Dahlia tonight for a while, while Amy was at a running training group.

I know of 2 people who have lost teeth holding bull lines in there mouth. Spending a couple of hours on hands & knees in a crappy garden searching for teeth is no fun. Hope yours settle Tucker

Cleaned up a bunch of storm damage on the ground by my self today. Booked some more work from the guy. See what comes to fruition. Came in way under budget and cut him a little break. Made some room in my schedule for running more legal errands today. Got some shat done. See how tomorrow goes.

Shout out from the beach! Having a blast. The kids are having fun like there is no tomorrow. My wife is smiling ear to ear too. I've swam, gone crabbing, relaxed, drank delicious coffees, checked out a lot of stores, done a little but off of roading but not too much. I got my nose smeared on the bottom of the ocean pretty good the other day. I bled like a stuck pig. A big wave flipped me over and stubbed me out lije a cigarette on the bottom. It hurts.
IMAG0625.jpg

Did some removals around an ancient house being demolished. Stepped on a rusty nail poking through a roof tile. :|: Too friggen hot for humans to be out there working. Been through the orange juice and a couple beers, but still have an unquenchable thirst. Thinking about hoping on my bike and riding over to a vending machine for a cold coke. Cold coke seems good tonight...

Soft drinks make me thirsty and fat. I haven't had one in years.

Orange juice bloats the hell outta me.

Rains everyday have been a PITA. Keeping gear dry yea right:mad: The good news paperwork is not building up! Today I went to discuss the takedown of the remainder of a champion tree, the owner has given permission for us to take it down. And my friend believes he can market the wood. Just a cool project to participate in Imo. Lucas mill will do the slabs. The coolest part is the tree house builder I met Kendall Thurston. He was in smithsonian article for his treehouse build on the suwannee river. This is not the smithsonian article but.http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...LxNUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=y4wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6633,851208
This was a highlight of my youth as I got a tour in 85 at 15 on a canoe trip from Georgia to the gulf:D

We're back in the creeks and ditches, clearing vegetation.
I managed to poke a nest of ground hornets while standing waist deep in water today.
Couldn't do much in the way of running off, so they got me good.

While I was weedwhacking some reeds in a ditch, I started to smell something like burnt meat.
Thinking the weedeater might have been clogged with debris, I turned it off.

It was a snail, house and all, that had been lodged up against the exhaust.
It was well done and then some.

Martin, my apprentice, said that it was proof that men can indeed multitask.
I managed to clear a ditch and cook escargot simultaneously.

Shout out from the beach! Having a blast. ... done a little but off of roading but not too much...

You did make sure to get the permit for that, right?
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/off-road-vehicle-use.htm
http://ncbbaonline.com/

Sorry, just making sure you're exercising due diligence in proper OHV access and land-use stewardship... :)

Enjoy the beach! If you head up to Duck, my Great Uncle owns a retail establishment there, Scarborough Faire- http://www.scarboroughfaireinducknc.com/

Do yourself a favor and don't insult me again by making sure I'm being a good boy and then providing me links to correct myself or my behaviors.

We rent houses that are only accessible by driving up the beach. That's the offroading we do. I don't just go willy nilly through the woods and dunes of North Carolina.

Back