How'd it go today?

Someone pooped in my backyard behind my fallen oak. I'm guessing Latino due to the size of the cheapy latex gloves stuffed in the root structure. It was a fantastic place for it. You have a huge tree + root structure blocking one direction, and thick overgrowth everywhere else. I don't care. I just thought it was amusing, and I'm curious where they came from.

That's the thing. My immediate neighbors do their own lawnwork AFAIK. The neighbor behind me had some treework done awhile ago, but it was at the other side of the property, and I think there's decent spots over there too. Might've been from the next street over. Someone saw the thick rat's nest, and thought "I bet there's a spot over there!".

Even out in the deep rural countryside hereabouts, there are cameras galore these days. I see them on houses, barns, sheds, fences, trees.

Someone not from up here in my neck of the woods known to a moderately distant neighbor of ours told the neighbor, who then told us, that he kept seeing this old couple hike by two of his cameras that he had set on an old logging road near us. Linked to his cell phone.

Guess who :).

That was sort of disconcerting to hear.

That garden I posted about in the 'How was your day' thread had a camera in there. I almost didn't see it cause they had a bunch of solar lights placed here and there. I'm looking around, my eyes go past the cam, and I think "That's not a light...". Dunno why it was in there. Maybe to see critters that visit the garden.

edit:
I swear to christ I'm getting senile. The 'How was your day' thread is this one :rollseyes: :^S

$3500 job and a side job. I talked with her for a long time today and got her to settle for the bid price with a twenty percent gratuity. I had to tell her any more than that and I won’t deposit the check. I even talked to her son to make sure he knew about the situation. I don’t want to be known as someone who takes advantage of the elderly.

Pretty good actually. Not 100% or whatever passes for that, but I'm ready to rock. I think I could've done that maple yesterday. Maybe a little slower, and maybe some help with slings moving wood, but I think I could've been useful :^)
Glad to hear you’re getting better! I think we’ll be doing a multi head white pine before the maple now.

Do you check out many of the felling cuts and wonder at the skill level of the faller?

The face in the first pic is an example.

I see it regularly at the firewood yard, but hey, they get it done.

I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me. I think the one on the upper left was trimmed after the tree was felled.

The one at upper right.

Its no big deal but it can make one wonder

There are two! Parents seem to be hanging around feeding them. We have no shortage of bugs. They work on trying to fly sometimes.

IMG_6738.png IMG_6740.jpeg

Unfortunately found this guy on the front porch this morning…window.

IMG_6737.jpeg
Work was so busy Friday (all week really) I was fried and also don’t remember drinking much water all day I was so busy. Took til midday Saturday to feel half alive. Been piddling around the house/saw shed doing little stuff.

Today turned out to be pretty fantastic!

I had trouble sleeping, so I was up early enough to take advantage of the cooler, early morning weather on a day that was already cooler than the several days prior. This meant I could film one of my concepts for a piece of content without sweating profusely and, more importantly, without my phone overheating and shutting down like it did the other day.

About a month ago, I developed an excellent method for allowing a climber to use the Rope Runner Pro in a theoretical 3:1 configuration for use on limb walks. As you are all surely aware, the manufacturer of the RRP says that it cannot be used safely in such configurations because there's a chance that it might remain collapsed, causing a climber to lose control or plummet to the ground. This means that the RRP also cannot be used with retrievable redirects that require the formation of a theoretical 3:1 configuration that a climber descends with and then uses two of the strands to pull out the redirect.

But I have developed a very simple, effective and intuitive solution for this RRP vulnerability. Today, I filmed a 25 minute long video where I explain and demonstrate how to safely use the RRP in a 3:1 configuration with two main options. The best method requires that a climber has two bridges, with one shorter than the other, and a carabiner or, ideally, a carabiner and a pulley, below the RRP, with a minimum of 3" of separation. I also demo'ed three different ways for a climber to achieve the same end with just one bridge, with the best option being a Pinto pulley and RRP attached above via carabiner to the Pinto's becket.

This all probably sounds very confusing, but I will be posting the video on my hitch/YouTube channel thread in a week or two. All I can say is that this method actually works, it is actually safe, and it is not very gear intensive at all. For someone already pausing their climb to setup a 3:1 for a limb walk (no matter which of the countless methods they choose to use for doing so), my solution amounts to just another small, added step.

Since I'm the first person ever (to my knowledge) to create, develop, use, and test this technique, I was extremely careful in my video by making sure there is no way the viewer will not understand that my method is extremely new, and that a climber uses it at their own risk. However, I'm 99% certain that my system is, indeed, safe...when installed and used correctly. I just want to cover my ass and be as transparent as I possibly can.

Anyways, I was able to finish editing all of the footage from two different cameras (phone on tripod, GoPro on helmet) and upload it to my channel, where it will stay until a little under two weeks from now when I reveal it to the world. I put a lot of thought into this, did a lot of testing, and I feel confident that I've come up with something that amounts to a pretty awesome, totally original climbing life hack for one of the most popular multicenders on the market.

I'm proud of myself! I'm looking forward to sharing it with all of you very soon!

To give you just a teaser, here's the thumbnail I'm considering using...

Rope Runner Hack THUMBNAIL.jpg

Yesterday was a bit busy. Spent Saturday night partying with some friends, Sunday was too windy for work so I did laundry and got to spend some time with my girls. Because it was so miserably windy, we hid in my camper and watched The Fat Electrician on YouTube while we cuddled. Then I took them out for Mexican food.

It was good to have my babies for a bit, but also painful, especially when it was time to give tgem back to mom. Kathryn wants to come stay with daddy, so I gotta get on the travel trailer thing, and get a spot in an RV park. The Ex keeps trying to chat me up like we're still best friends, which is tiresome at best, and mostly just insulting.

Didn't make it back to Overgaard til almost 2100, got parked and let the 25mph wind rock me to sleep in my new sleeping bag, which is rated to -35°. Kathryn said I needed it, so I listened. She was right, last night was very comfortable, the warmest sleep I've had in the truck, despite last night being colder than most, I didn't realize how cold I was while sleeping, and how bad it was affecting me. Unfortunately, now I want to lay here and catch up on the sleep I've missed.

My little camp cooker is doing yeoman's work, heating up the tin can, but it's been able to do the job, making it tee-shirt weather in here, or at least it will be soon lolz. Notice the ice building up on the propane bottle...

20240506_065328.jpg

Back