How'd it go today?

Well, I got a job... in a month...maybe? It's a matter of when work picks up enough to justify a second guy. With the weather we've been having, I completely understand. Can't paint houses in the rain and snow, the paint don't like it much. Got a few ideas to make a little money till then, but much of it depends on the weather also. Little bit of tractor stuff, and maybe scrounging a cord of wood to sell. If the weather cooperates, I may have a two acre yard clean up to do. Lots of stuff up in the air, we'll see what comes down where.
Congrats! I hope they can justify a second guy sooner than later! That must be a relief!

My son puked all over his bedroom this morning. Couldn’t get the door open fast enough. Others are dropping like flies. Maybe it wasn’t food poisoning…

Norovirus, 1 by 1 the 2 kids and wife got it, so I've been cleaning up vomit for a couple weeks now. I still haven't gotten it yet, and judging by how it miserable the wife was with it I'm really hoping that holds.

My son puked all over his bedroom this morning. Couldn’t get the door open fast enough. Others are dropping like flies. Maybe it wasn’t food poisoning…

Discovered my 461 got a little busted. It got rolled by a dragged tree last salt cedar job. Shame, it’s a nice saw. Pulled the handle back straight with one of my big long handled ratchet straps. View attachment 137497

…obligatory husky missing screws…View attachment 137498

And just for fun dukes saw chain after some desert wood abuse. Still shaves a fingernail.

View attachment 137499
Fingernails are not a good test because of how soft they are, but wood is soft too, and lots of wood gets cut with chains much duller than that.

I just did a fingernail test on the 90deg back edge of some pruning snips, and it shaves nail quite easily.

I've got a 362. For a truck saw, I could do a lot worse than a cs400. That's what I'd buy given the choice. Small enough to tuck out of the way, but enough power to get some real work done. I'm giving /some/ thought to buying another 355 as a truck saw. I can fit one of those in a cat litter bucket, but that's really extravagant for something that's only a trivial convenience, and I'd prefer a rear handle for general duty.

I've been thinking about Old Smoky. My biggest issue with it(aside from it being a piece of shit) is the oil cap doesn't fit right. Some time, I want to see if I can knock something together to plug the hole. Maybe cork, or wood dowel with an Oring or something. I don't know what cap really fits. That model is hard to track down online. It has a stupid hex cap in the stock style, but I don't think it's original to the saw. It doesn't fit right. Probably off of some other stupid McCulloch.
A 362? So you could have had two 590's with more torque.

Norovirus, 1 by 1 the 2 kids and wife got it, so I've been cleaning up vomit for a couple weeks now. I still haven't gotten it yet, and judging by how it miserable the wife was with it I'm really hoping that holds.
Don’t you think calling it the Norovirus is a little insensitive to the people of Norwalk? Kinda xenophobic, no? ;)

Funny story, so we had put the kids down, and the wife wasn't feeling well. So she goes in the bathroom and does her thing, and i grab the garbage bag in the kitchen and figure this is a good time to run it out really quick. Well right after i went out she had to puke, so she grabbed the bathroom garbage can. The cats thought this was incredible, so she's got 3 cats all up in her business, I'm outside with the garbage. Then the kids hear the commotion and join the cats, complete with "moms puking come see this!" She of course is physically unable to talk or move since she's got her head in a garbage can and still sitting on the toilet, so she just sits there and continues, which is the scene i return to a couple min later :lol:. The cats were the worst part of it, i pinned 2 down to clean them so they wouldn't get everyone sick throughout the couple weeks, they just had to get involved with everything.

I just drag my finger over the tooth. You can tell how sharp it is by the way it feels on the skin.
How well it's sharp, not how well it cuts. The finger's skin tells you that there's an edge around here, but not where the edge is precisely located. What I mean is if you don't file enough the cutter for exemple, you can have still a small rounded area between the top surface and the actual edge. This rounded surface makes the tooth skids over the wood instead of biting in it. Not ideal, and the skin can't tell you that. The eye does. You can see the light reflected in an usual angle by the tiny rounded area. It's the case in the above tooth's pic. If you search a reflect with a good light (from above or in front) and can't find any, the edge should be sharp enough to do a good job. For a chainsaw that is, That won't be sufficient for a wood chisel.
Note, a burr can mess this trick and fools you both ways.

Phase 2 of the sawmill cleaning is done with the exception of moving an old dump truck. I had one battery that would fit that was free ranging about the sawmill, and another in the Kubota. Rather than take the one out of the Kubota, I made up an Anderson connector to hook the tractor to the truck. This would add the tractor alternator as well. I got one really good crank out of it, but let it rest when it didn't show signs of starting. The next attempt, I heard what sounded like a carbon arc torch, then nothing. The lead around the negative terminal had liquefied and sprayed out of the battery. I think I'm going to have to start at the starter and clean all the connections back to the battery. I've had trouble in the past with some of those connections. They are in a really bad spot. On the positive side, I now have another Anderson setup to put on something else when this debacle is over.

I've been thinking about wide slabbing a lot lately. The big ash I sawed last month could have been wider with a bar type mill. I may stretch my mill 6" someday, as that can be done easily with Wood-Mizer parts. That would make a lot of situations easier. The wide slabber would be great not only for slabs up to 75", but also for breaking down long logs for the Wood-Mizer, and for sawing curves and crotches for timber framing. The wide slabber, a Peterson DWS does have a few limitations. It can only saw 9" thick at full width, and 12" at reduced width, so no quartering 48" logs. It is a portable design, so sacrifices ruggedness for light weight. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant at doing what they are designed for. With extra bed sections and all the accessories and spares, it's a $30k machine. I've been moving a lot of surplus industrial parts around lately, and I'm seeing the beginnings of an industrial wide slabber. I have a nice little 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine. I beams. Some structural steel. Some hydraulic parts that may, or may not, be of use. This is mostly just something to think about, but could become a reality some day. Not super complicated, but there are a few big ticket items. The bar is $1,200, for instance. I'm not only looking to do my own stuff, but custom work as well. There is a demand for quality, reliable, reasonably affordable milling in this area. There is a place near here that has a Wood-Mizer WM 1000 with a 67" cut. Sadly, they offer all but three of those qualities. :/:

When you are hiring someone to mill logs that you have paid a premium for, you go back to the guy who didn't mess up your last log. People are finding out that I'm milling again, I know several that will definitely be calling when they have logs. I have a bunch coming soon from one of them already, and am just finishing up some locust from a long time very reliable customer.

I know this is a long term goal, but like I said, it's something to think about. I think not much will happen right away, but once the dam breaks, it will build into something quickly.

I've actually made a few mechanical sketches for the first time in many years. I have stacks of these for different ideas I've had. Tonight was a slab stacking rack, a hydraulic slab slider offer for one person removal of heavy slabs off the mill, and a height adjustment interlock that is set to the highest cribbing being used on the mill.

I'm feeling inspired by something for the first time in a very long time. This is why I need to do my own thing.

Well pump finally croaked. While I was in the shower. I had most of the galvi fittings at the house. Need a couple elbows, which I might have at the farm. If not, I'll chisel the old nipples out of the elbows. At least I won't feel bad being inside tomorrow while it's raining outside.

Yo, can you imagine the fun of contracting norovirus while thru hiking?

Back