How'd it go today?

Aw hail! Again! 20240317_115752.jpg
Don't even want to get out of the truck now. Guess I'll just live here now. In the driveway...

Got some wood cut up for the house, just old cedar branches that are nice and seasoned, and I shortened a few stumps so I could have good kindling. These Shagbarks are such odd excuses for trees, ive got an old square ground chain that's worn to the point it looks like a Euc chain, and I swear it does better in this shite cedar than anything else I've used. Seems to make less heat. Idk, sometimes life is a mystery to me...

Happy St. Patrick's day yall! Guess I'll get drunk...

The Schonstedt is the industry standard for surveying. We have a few of them, but they're all broken. Currently using a SubsurfaceInstruments locator. More comfortable to hold, but doesn't work quite as well. Dunno how they compare to other options for finding steel in wood, but they're quite sensitive. Also quite expensive. About the price of a pro saw.
I’ve repaired two Schonstedts… if you want I’ll take a look at them. Often it’s a bad component on the main circuit board or a cracked connection.

Friday was a dentist"s day. He bored the bone to insert two metal roots for a couple of new teeth. At he occasion, he found a pocket of rot under the next tooth. I don't know if it's an actual new one or an old one missed previously when he extracted the wrecked teeth. So the resultant hole in the bone was bigger than expected and needed a bone graft. Some $$$ more. I'm not confident about that, infection or reinfection of the graft. I have some antibiotics to help clean the wounds, both in the bone and the gum, but I did have some two times in a row after the previous chirurgies and there's still this infection. Will see.

Oh piss off insulting the trees here! If you didn't spend all your time the the snobsdale desert, you'd see we do have big, beautiful impressive trees. And topography and a distinct lack of Boston.
I was merely giving my personal opinion on the trees that I have encountered, personally, within the confines of my own, personal experiences. I'm well aware that, elsewhere in Arizona, there exist beautiful trees. I was lamenting the reality that there are none that are currently accessible to me and, for me personally, I much prefer the dense forests, and the types of flora and fauna native to Massachusetts. I wasn't attacking Arizona as a whole. I would never make a broad, sweeping judgement about anyone or anything. I was speaking strictly based upon my personal experiences. I will admit that I could have made that clearer and that what I said may have been somewhat ambiguous, as evidenced by this misunderstanding.

I was merely giving my personal opinion on the trees that I have encountered, personally, within the confines of my own, personal experiences. I'm well aware that, elsewhere in Arizona, there exist beautiful trees. I was lamenting the reality that there are none that are currently accessible to me and, for me personally, I much prefer the dense forests, and the types of flora and fauna native to Massachusetts. I wasn't attacking Arizona as a whole. I would never make a broad, sweeping judgement about anyone or anything. I was speaking strictly based upon my personal experiences. I will admit that I could have made that clearer and that what I said may have been somewhat ambiguous, as evidenced by this misunderstanding.
Yeah, that.

Friday was a dentist"s day. He bored the bone to insert two metal roots for a couple of new teeth. At he occasion, he found a pocket of rot under the next tooth. I don't know if it's an actual new one or an old one missed previously when he extracted the wrecked teeth. So the resultant hole in the bone was bigger than expected and needed a bone graft. Some $$$ more. I'm not confident about that, infection or reinfection of the graft. I have some antibiotics to help clean the wounds, both in the bone and the gum, but I did have some two times in a row after the previous chirurgies and there's still this infection. Will see.
Root canals are bad. CONE 3D scan to check for unfelt undetected infections that can wreak havoc with your body.

Someone screwed up. I had noisewall today, and it hasn't really rained in a few days. I'm only supposed to be there the day after a rain :^D Not much in the way of mud, but today kicked my ass. I was still a little sore from yesterday, and I had lots of walking, maneuvering on uneven terrain, and climbing rebar. I marked 24 cans, was getting ready to gtfo, and the foreman says "I think Billy needs some layout at the end of the job". Shit! Ate lunch, then went to the end to mark 8 more cans.

Got back to the office, did my timesheet, then fell asleep in my chair for about 20 minutes. Day wasn't terrible. Just boring, and a lot of work without feeling like I got much done, though I suppose I did. 32 cans doesn't seem like much, but that'll keep them busy for a couple months. That's 128 marks(4 per can)

I was cold today! D^: I washed my BDU jacket, and don't want to wear it again til next season, so I just wore my regular stuff, and it wasn't quite enough with the wind. Located some stuff for a boundary in the country, ate lunch, then cut/split firewood. Cutting wood warmed me up. Front porch is full, and I'll start hauling wood out back. Found another cherry stick at my cherry spot, but it'll take a good bit of work to uncover it. I might do that before it gets too hot, and save it for next cutting season.

Today we went to the Y camp and removed 10 tall wild cherry trees. They’re getting a new septic system and these would’ve had the bases buried with backfill. Septic system for this camp is quite impressive. Two weeks ago they could’ve all been flopped but since the field was installed we had to top most of them out. Still was a good day and they have a nice load of logs to sell to help offset the cost of removal. Fairly certain we donated the work anyhow.
Tomorrow starts a large hazard removal job for the county and parks department. I’ve got road closures till the end of the month so it’ll be pretty productive. Kind of has to be since the environmental dead line is then. Doesn’t make sense to me why since nothing being removed is a “bat tree” but whatever.

Kind of has to be since the environmental dead line is then. Doesn’t make sense to me why since nothing being removed is a “bat tree” but whatever
Is there water in play? I don't follow this stuff closely, but we don't start a lot of work in spring when fish are breeding. This is mostly bridge work, but I could see other work being affected if there might be stream runoff, or creeks have to be crossed or something.

Yarr baby!

Insert obligatory grump about stubs...

Always love seeing fresh blood come up.
Was seriouly discussed. As was gaff placement ;)
This is his first time on gaffs. So this tree in our front pasture was bugging his mom. Only 1/2 done. We need more work on his directional cuts.
Lesson 2, next week if we get rained out this week end.
NO STUBS! 20240319_173952.jpg

He has always liked climbing. He got in touch with how much work it is to do the work on gaffs. He'll build up to it. Legs got sore quick. First time aloft with a chainsaw as well. Only been hand saw till now. He has good confidence and heights don't bother him like his brother. No shaking knees. He has climbed Ddrt and SRT before.
I set a line for myself and only had to go up one time and fix the pinched saw on a 6" limb that was 20 foot long. Comms help. His face cuts were a tad sloppy. And he need to get the snap cut down better. In his defense, Gray Pines are stingy and hang on for dear life sometimes. Sticky, sappy nasties.
Daddy's knee was being a little bitch and sucked moose lips for him as I was his ground man.
Took a late lunch and let him get ready for school.

Love love LOVE to see it. My "big money" has always come from standing in my picks like the old timers. Money for saw dust and blisters for free!

There wasn't a tree crane on the mountain til 2014. Bucket trucks were the realm of Asplund(sp) and the power company. Almost all tree work was done gaff and flipline, or "closed loop" (drt with Blake's Hitch), a combination of both when "double tie in" became the gospel. I'm not that old, and it doesn't seem so long ago that the new world hit the mountain...

Anywho, GO Levi! And Go Stephan!

Only worked till noon and boss asked if I wanted to take 1/2 day PTO. Sure! I get 20 days off so I don’t mind taking one or 1/2 here and there when slow.

My only call was 4 separate gas leaks in 1 residential utility room. Completely repiped the gas to the water heater and had to make 2 repairs on the furnace piping.

The homeowners name was Ms Sequoia Fields.

Trimmed a neighbors red maple back from the house to satisfy the homeowners insurance company. They actually did a visual inspection. It felt like a sloppy climb, like I was clumsy. I assume everyone has days where they move fluid like and days where they feel awkward? Maybe lessens with time?

Attachments

• IMG_9134.jpeg
    IMG_9134.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is there water in play? I don't follow this stuff closely, but we don't start a lot of work in spring when fish are breeding. This is mostly bridge work, but I could see other work being affected if there might be stream runoff, or creeks have to be crossed or something.
No water. Well maybe a few small wetlands. All these trees are threatening roadway and power lines. Someone with a degree got to choose the hazard removals. I don’t agree with some of his choices but he is on call if I strongly disagree. These trees have been an ongoing issue between the park and the county. Having the power company replace lines and poles 3 times in a week sealed their fate. The environmental concern is for the bat migration that apparently starts on April first. I find it an odd coincidence that this is also April fools day.

Back