How'd it go today?

My recycling goes in amazon boxes, then to the curb. Sometimes I have to stick the flaps up and tie them with cotton string to make them big enough. Pizza boxes go in the wood stove.

Most boxes get reused if they aren’t already torn up. Ryan, iirc your HH II is arriving in a box that first held an early, all-metal version of a Kreg pockethole jig from about 20 years ago.

I like old containers.

Back in 1950 when my parents started the day camp in Michigan they still lived in Ann Arbor, picked the children up, drove to the lake for the day and dropped them off afterwards. Lunch included homemade cookies, transported in a tin from the Behrhorst cookie company in Pittsburgh.

When camp grew too big, and we had a home on the lake the tin sat for years in the attic. When we cleared out the house I kept the tin and now store one of the flavors of the annual holiday pizzelles which we make in it.

Attachments

• IMG_8998.jpeg
    IMG_8998.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 3
Old tins are the best. Seems like a no-brainer to me for a company to use nice metal tins. It's persistent advertising, cause a lot of people save them for various things. Add a tiny bit to the product cost, eat a tiny bit of the additional expense, and it's bargain level advertising campaign.

Oil burner is driving me crazy. Little to no heat for past four days. Having a hard time sourcing the simplest of parts locally. 60* B nozzle, R8184G primary, ($180:O), etc. I've got the burner running, and now it looks like the heat exchanger is plugged. Tomorrow's project. Hope I get it figured out soon, a cold snap is coming.

Hooray! Finally another justification for semi-chisel, and from someone with CRED!!
I keep saying it and the blokes give me this 'girl chain' look.
Full chisel is the standard offer when buying chain at the saw shop. I have to ask for semi chisel RM, they usually have to find the reel and spin me a bespoke one!

Cutting down a euc last week, I was getting to the bark compression thing, had to ream with my 200 3/8picco, switched to my 260 .325 and it went much better. 462 with 3/8 was waiting in the wings if needed. It wasn't
I have had no luck with Oregon semi (speed or durability)...you? RM is good stuff.

Fingers crossed, the boiler is purring away as I type this. Weil McLain boilers have these really tight zig zag heat exchangers that require a special saw tooth looking tool to clean between the nubs. I don't have one, but I found this random piece of scrap metal on the floor near the boiler, and in less than a minute with the angle grinder I had a fair copy of said tool. It was a little short, so I did have to ream from the firebox side.l also. Pretty messy job, but it seems to have worked.

20240110_154239.jpg 20240110_154510.jpg

Day was every bit as shitty as I anticipated.

View attachment 135235

I'd go into the gory details, but I'm not in the mood to enumerate all the ways today was complete shit. At least it's over now...
That's so gnarly. This picture is worth a thousand disgusting words. The wanton littering speaks volumes. Is that Vitamin water? Healthy for the consumer, not for the planet, apparently.

Boy, all you need is a few used syringes lying around to make that picture complete.
No doubt. Don't forget the used cottons and bent, charred spoons and latex tourniquets! Perhaps a few of those cheap, transparent crack lighters for those too stingy to buy a Bic.

I hate when the pharmacy tells me last minute that my most important medication is on back order.

I think I just found another pharmacy that has it, so fingers crossed.

If that's all I have to deal with today, then I guess it could be much worse.

I hate when the pharmacy tells me last minute that my most important medication is on back order.

I think I just found another pharmacy that has it, so fingers crossed.

If that's all I have to deal with today, then I guess it could be much worse.
Still a major issue, that can easily affect your quality of life Knoty! That shit is to be taken seriously!

With having been so sick over the holidays, along with all the other busyness, I never got Harvey’s specialized, rocking-head, incising lathe off the pallet until the day before yesterday.

I had noted that a switch box atop the motor controller box had been damaged when the rigger moved it out of Harvey’s shop to their warehouse.
View attachment IMG_8984.jpeg

I bolted it down to the concrete pad once I got it, aligned with a laser level and then wired it into the 220 V circuit. The high-speed function was intermittent, and the slow speed, DC motor was dead. And, as it was late by then I just shut the lights off in the shop and went in for the night.
Kept having dream state ideas as to what it might be, so I got up at 2:50 AM and back to the shop to figure it out.

The damage the controller sustained had pressed a hot conductor against a ground screw where it was arcing, taking the least resistance path to ground rather than running through the DC motor. As you can see from the burnt screw head in this photo, Harvey might be an excellent woodturner, but not much of an electrician. (at some point I’ll rewire the whole thing as you see there are no wear grommets where the cabling enters the switch box!)
IMG_9028.jpeg

Crimp-on ends added to clean up those ground straps:
IMG_9026.jpeg

Turned a thin walnut platter to check out alignment.
IMG_9034.jpeg
IMG_9033.jpeg

Back