How'd it go today?

Got a call from our local tribe today that we partner with regularly...they needed a hand moving a large canoe frame from one building to another. A group of us gave them a hand moving it to the cultural center where some of the old totems are stored. Some of them date back to the 1880s. IMG_20231115_142500_HDR.jpg IMG_20231115_150157_HDR.jpg

Took advantage of our first burn day of the year. Opened today on permit only..
But I have a fire pit. I have plenty of broken limbs I have been forwarding near.
Been raining on and off.
Started the fire, Katy got home, and we roasted some hot dogs. Pumkin pie for dessert. Started raining again about the time we needed dessert. 20231115_172723.jpg

Been kinda sick the last couple days. I kinda wonder if it's from my last fire outside. Got a lot of smoke in my face. I don't feel real terrible, but my head's turned into a snot factory, and I've been sneezing my ass off. Took a covid test cause I have it, and want to get rid of it anyway. Negative as expected. Oh, well. Could be worse.

Got a BucketHead 5G bucket vac on my way home. $16. That's about half the new price. I think it's virtually brand new. Came with a shiny orange HomeDepot bucket that had a little dust in it, but still smells like new plastic. I'll keep that for something else, and I put the vacuum on a shitty old paint bucket I had. I've been wanting one of these for awhile. I don't have much use for a big shopvac, but sometimes I want something that isn't my floorvac.

What do I have here? Found it in the local junk shop. Nothing? Something?
Stamped '200 Club Commemorative 1980'
Old Forge Metals, Pewter
B6

Attachments

• Buckle front.jpg
    Buckle front.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • buckle back.jpg
    buckle back.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Neat design. Old Forge Metals appears to be a US company. Not super valuable. Ebay says ~$20 average price. I like the pine cone. I wonder what CAA refers to? Could it be 200ac planted maybe?

The company was in PA and is closed now.
I thought maybe California Arborist Association??? Projection much lol.

That was the angle I was looking at. There appears to be a couple US tree related groups that have CAA initials. Trying to figure how "200 club" figures in.

Last edited:
But my gosh last night. Head would not shut up. Worried. The what ifs.
Guess I left that guy somewhere off on the way to work and the tree pro stayed in the truck.
I get that way all the time, can NEVER sleep before any sort of risky job, just going over everything 10X in my head
I think its probably your self preservation instinct kicking in

These are really good...

IMG_20231117_210750943_HDR.jpg

Salmiak, pine tar, and menthol. My goal this jul season is to try to find salmiakki and/or terva snaps, but I doubt I'll have success.

Salty licorice. It's licorice and ammonium chloride(salmiak). I love the stuff, but I have to order online. I've never seen it for sale in the US.

I like the stuff tractor supply has by the register, think its strawberry
I tried black licorice once, never again lol, any of the red stuff I tried is really good no matter what "flavor" it was

be interesting to try that finnish stuff tho, im guessing its way different from whats available here?

It's waaay different. I suspect you wouldn't like it if you don't like black licorice(the only real licorice), and the ammonium chloride on top takes it to a whole different planet, but it's worth a try to experience stuff from other parts of the world. If you get something from amazon, throw a pack in and see what you think. What I have pictured would be an interesting start, and the pine tar(terva) ties in to treework. Other than being an unusual flavor, it isn't as extreme as some of the salty licorice you can get. The ammonium chloride is fairly toned down.

if I remember, I will grab some next time I make an amazon order, Thanks!

one thing I do make sure to stock up on is candied ginger

Candied ginger rocks! I like the pickled ginger that comes with sushi also. I guess you're supposed to put it on the sushi, but I just eat it for dessert :^D

YES, the pickled ginger is the best!
and finally someone who likes sushi, most everyone I know hates it, then again I eat oysters and most people wont touch them (or pineapple on pizza)

Went back on that job, I cut myself last week, today to finish it out. Did a little extra work. Got paid and some gratuity. Home by noon. So to speak.
But my gosh last night. Head would not shut up. Worried. The what ifs.
Guess I left that guy somewhere off on the way to work and the tree pro stayed in the truck.
Against this sort of cut, I use this all the time, like my chainsaw trousers. It's the same concept, with many layers of loose fibers designed to jam the chain and the sprockets. They served me well a couple times, one on top and one under. I was glad to have them. Added advantage, it's a nice cushion and a scratch protector, very good for hauling the bundles of branches, the wood and the thorny stuff.

Back