How'd it go today?

Made a ~2mi death march around a property using my phone to look for corners. It wasn't really that bad. A few steep hills, but what really ruined it was the temps. It's 20° above normal today D^: Got some nuts at least...

IMG_20231027_113435883_HDR.jpg

found out why the chipper clogged so damn bad tuesday, anvil gap was almost 1/4" and the corner was rounded over

this pic doesn't show the 1-3ft long sticks that are about as big around as my pinky finger
1698428672079.png

thats better! flipped the anvil to a new edge, and set the gap to almost drag a business card out from between my fingers
1698428750635.png

Left plumbing job early and continued working on my friends tree/landscape job. Kids had trunk or treat at their school. I had candy (snickers and milky way) for dinner. My oldest (11) won the best costume in the funny category. He was in a giant inflatable chicken suit.

just got a call (at 9pm) from a customer I did a bid for last week, 3 crepe myrtles that are being removed and stumps ground, the stumps have sewer, cable TV, power and who knows what else under them, they were located a while back and still had paint BUT I was going to get a locate myself before stumping just for peace of mind and liability

well, the customer went ahead and got a locate without telling me, I never even got told if I got the job or not, I now have 5 days to remove the trees and grind the stumps which were never scheduled due to not hearing back from the customer...

for reference, the 3 "trees" are about 4 feet apart from one another in a row between 2 driveways (gated community dublex type deal), on the customers side (right) is telecom,gutter drain and power, neighbor (left) has sewer on his side, between each tree is the power and telecom lines out to the neighbors yard, and theres little shrubs all the way around the stumps, gotta dig out all the mulch, grind down till it can be buried and fill back in, im not grinding below "grade" on these lol

Be nice to know you had the job so you could prepare. Guess it beats no job, eh?
yeah, im supposed to start this other job Wednesday if their survey is on schedule, I think this guy got really lucky that I can go do the job tomorrow, send my stump guy out later in the week to finish up
if this guy called monday instead of 9pm on a friday we would have an even bigger issue

oh man that @metaspencer dude from youtube stopped in!

theres a long story, but his videos are part of the reason I got into tree work, helped a lot showing how much can be done with simple equipment then I showed up on his facebook messenger one day, im probably partly to blame for him buying a mini skid, and a protos, and maybe a shembiner after trying out my 3D printed hooks I used to sell?

Spencer, I promise this place isn't as crazy as the other one I got banned from, these dudes are chill

Last edited:
his videos are part of the reason I got into tree work, helped a lot showing how much can be done with simple equipment
And then you went on to buying or trying to buy lots of big equipment. I started out working with a climber and whatever little gas pickup he happened to have that month.

And then you went on to buying or trying to buy lots of big equipment. I started out working with a climber and whatever little gas pickup he happened to have that month.
yeah I did the manual labor part packing a trailer for over a year and hated every minute of it however it is possible, we just never did big trees, if I needed anything bigger than my 261 to buck it in one cut it was too heavy to carry by hand out to the truck

I started off working out of my moms BMW, then a borrowed pickup with a boat trailer, then my own trucks and eventually a chipper and chip truck
difference is? my prices are over double what they used to be, I make the same money but im fixing equipment rather than breaking my back carrying firewood rounds, and I can do a job in 30 minutes that used to take me 3 days!

here was a bit of my progression over the last few years, the ladder doesnt go to most of my jobs any more, only use it for getting up on roofs or little ornamental prunes
1698508519349.png
1698508535516.png 1698508543067.png 1698508552244.png

Last edited:
yeah I did the manual labor part packing a trailer for over a year and hated every minute of it however it is possible, we just never did big trees, if I needed anything bigger than my 261 to buck it in one cut it was too heavy to carry by hand out to the truck

I started off working out of my moms BMW, then a borrowed pickup with a boat trailer, then my own trucks and eventually a chipper and chip truck
difference is? my prices are over double what they used to be, I make the same money but im fixing equipment rather than breaking my back carrying firewood rounds, and I can do a job in 30 minutes that used to take me 3 days!
Credit is a tool in business, no harm in moving the process of building your company along faster by using it.
As long as it’s manageable of course.

I've been thinking the two outside cats drink a lot of water. I just watched a blue jay, a cardinal, and a squirrel drink out of the water bowl. That explains the missing water. I suppose I should have known that, but it was fun seeing it. For some reason, I take particular pleasure in watching critters steal stuff from the cats :^D

oh man that @metaspencer dude from youtube stopped in!

theres a long story, but his videos are part of the reason I got into tree work, helped a lot showing how much can be done with simple equipment then I showed up on his facebook messenger one day, im probably partly to blame for him buying a mini skid, and a protos, and maybe a shembiner after trying out my 3D printed hooks I used to sell?

Spencer, I promise this place isn't as crazy as the other one I got banned from, these dudes are chill
Those hooks you made were great!!!

No surprise there...you're really good at pissing off people :D.
then say something damnit, y'all know i'm retarded right?
joking aside, yeah I try not to but should probably try a little harder, sorry

my sense of humor doesn't help anything, odds are 99% I will say something stupid and piss off a lot of people when i'm just trying to crack a joke, again, I honestly do not realize i'm pissing people off but I try and keep up with reactions and try to back off when it starts happening, usually too late tho
I am way better in person due to the fact I can tell how people reach via body language but online I can't

It's all good man, if you actually pissed people off bad enough they'll bite back, that was a joke, hence the smile. Some of that comes with age too, many here have been on forums longer than you've been alive, older people are more subtle and pick up on stuff differently. Also why younger women like older guys too....

went and did the 3 crepe myrtles we talked about, utility locate I saw before was done before installing extra lines (locate was to instal)

so yeah its 3 times as many lines to watch for, and the guy had us cut down the shrubs that they painted to begin with! quit laterally looks like they took a picture of some spaghetti, and traced it out with marking paint
1698600639487.png 1698600648354.png

Back