How'd it go today?

wow that's a lotta snow, gotta be good for the landscape considering recent dry spells

Got a big maple down to the 12' high stub's felling cut, having speedlined limbs over a fence, topped it and chunked it down to 26" wood, tight drop zone.

Some good wood in them. Figured wood.

Great, as if I was short on logs to process and figure out about marketing. Too many hats!

Left my midday coffee at home, unfortunately. Warm or hot drinks would have been good today, since it rained and hailed, and the sun shone, and it was windy, and calm, as a weather front was passing through. No loose or dead wood in the maple to be concerned about, in consideration of the wind.

I'm tired. Dinner soon.

Crazy amounts of water!!

We took down a big ish leaning walnut over a garage. The garage is going to be replaced so we had to swing a big chunk into it’s side. Funny thing is for as hard as that chunk hit there was no visible damage. If it weren’t being tore down the wall would have collapsed.

The guy in the middle of Deva's group photo (no offense intended to said guy) reminded me of a character from a Tom Wolfe book Bonfire of the Vanities. The assistant D.A. Larry Kramer is convinced women are impressed with his muscular neck and make efforts to flare it out. It's the only thing I remember from the book maybe because it was so absurd. Kinda like this tangent I'm going on.😫

Nice, Willie!

I pulled something off today, that I honestly thought was impossible.
A 240 something ( We counted growth rings) years old oak with front and extreme side lean.
Mostly dead, and my job was just to fall it without letting it hit the tree next to it, that it was leaning towards.
I told the client, that it was next to impossible, but I'd give it a shot.

Set the deepest face cut ever, in order to reach some sound wood for the hinge.
We're talking 2/3rds into the tree.
Set a triple hinge and cut around from the compression side untill it fell.
With most of the tree dead, I knew there would be a LOT of shit crashing down.
So at first crack, I took off like a rabbit.
Tree didn't fall...................back to cutting............CRACK!, rabbit again........tree didn't fall............back to cutting, CRACK...................ran to the next tree and hugged the trunk.
Good thing I did, a 10" diameter dead branch landed 3 feet from me.

The tree followed the face and landed exactly where it was supposed to.
Sometimes I'm better than I think I am, or simply more lucky.

Client tipped me a hundred bucks on top of the price, for saving his other tree.

I drove home smiling and feeling like the World's best tree faller ( After Murphy, of course!)

Went to look at a tree job today. It was for the dirt foreman of my main client. He mentioned it real quick last week, and said 'A few branches over the garage'. It was pretty windy today, but I packed all my stuff up, and went to take a look. I figured if it was straightforward enough, I could just handle it. The garage wasn't involved at all, and the 'few branches' is a full removal :^D

It's gnarly sprawling maple with targets in the back and left with fences, and the house @ 6 o'clock. He said he'd help running rope, and he has stuff to pull with. I have to study the pics more, but I think climbing part way out the leaders, shortening them to eliminate contact risk, then dropping them. Maybe mostly spurless. I'm not really comfortable derping around on spurs on heavy leaners in front of other people. That's something I'd want to practice without an audience. I'll arrange to go up first decent Sunday after tomorrow.

IMG_20230304_141935715_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230304_141245164_HDR.jpg

@lxskllr Lemme know if you want some assistance wit dat twee!
I will! You were the first person I thought of when the scope of the job ballooned, and I told him I might have to bring someone in. After looking at it on site, and running it through my head, I don't think there's much to it that really involves rope rigging aside from some insurance pull lines.

It's also gonna be an 'as cheap as possible' job. I'm thinking a token $100. I consider him a friend, and I don't really try to make money off of friends. If he offers more, I'll accept it, but I'm just helping out. He's a capable worker for help, just not that young, and not a tree guy. Much better anchor point than you! I think he said he's currently 330#. We were talking about weight, and I mentioned my target weight of 200#. He said he weighed more than that when he wrestled in high school :^D He's a big boy.

$100 is too cheap for a friend, imo.

For that long lateral, setting a base- tied, secondary climb line would be easy, and make the venture out there easy. Alternatively, have Treeaddict out past the tips with your climb line tail as a swing-arrest, preventing a pendulum.

For the long lateral, I've been leaning towards a canopy tie where you see the branch make a kink, climb up to it, and cut it off at the kink. I think Bart said "Climb like a lynx". I can climb like a Tigger. That's close enough, right? :^D

I'd much, much, much rather have Treeaddict than a non-experienced rope-man who is very out of shape.

My guess is Treeaddict moves much faster, and will not need coaching, just communication.
A better, faster groundie will make an easier climb.

Mid/ butt tying those leads with a bit of slack, and facing them on a 45⁰ angle to the lean will make them swing back and to the side of you to a rigging point behind you.

Back