How'd it go today?

I've only had canned snapper soup. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but not much to recommend it either. That's in the context of canned soup, so probably not the best representation. Generally speaking, I've found I don't care a lot for reptiles and amphibians. It's true it tastes like chicken, but has a fishy back note I'm not super fond of. It isn't bad, but they usually come at a price premium, and I don't like them more than I like cheaper meats.

Took down a 50’ 18dbh dead ash today. Rigged off the adjacent walnut for both placement of the pieces and because it wasn’t in any shape to be jerked on. Had a shed below. Used the 4WD to pull over the back leaning spar. First time using other trees in a rigging system and using vehicles to pull. All went well. Custy was pleased and gave a handsome tip!

Another beautiful day at the course!

Think I lost a little weight when I worked into the heat recovering range balls from the woods, but the bugs have been tolerable this year so far, so that's a big plus.

Had to drop off time sheet at the bosses house on my way home. We talked for a bit. Sometimes it's almost embarrassing how thankful my employers are for me simply doing my job.

Eh, i still like money :lol: been a crazy week, went on vacation to Florida, so that was fun. Short stay, and drove so i spent 4 days in the truck. Spent the weekend trying to get the garage cleaned up and building some shelves, slowly getting there. Gotta play musical junk piles a few times to get everything rearranged and then I'll be able to get the lathe set up. Cleaned and oiled the lathe this weekend as well, i can't wait to get it running and start fabbing parts, got several projects ready to go. Likely going to try to do some trees before too long, just haven't had it in me yet in this heat, 40 hours as a fitter is whipping me still.

Hot and sweaty, but profitable.

Making hay between stay-cations.

Three jobs to knock out this week, and get a shit-ton of lumber from the miller. Likely able to turn it around quickly, cedar fence board and siding.

I have a couple over-size cedar logs to split for his 28" capacity mill. Then there is the doug-fir for framing lumber and siding.

Today kicked my ass. Started a new job, and had to stake LOD. Hot and humid, and my arms and brain are like jelly. Got some brushcutting and a little saw work in. I finally did it, and put oil in my fuel tank. I had two hip flask liquor bottles I keep fuel and oil in, but the colors of the fluid were similar, and the labels were worn off. I filled the fuel tank, and thought "This doesn't look right". Had to dump it out and fill it right :^S Lots of lanternflies around there. You can see this from the bridge...

IMG_20220802_123555622_HDR.jpg

Pretty cool. I'll have to check the area out some time when the weather's fit for humans. I've been in the area before, and paddled the creek a few times. The Susquehanna is a stone's throw south of there. Also got a lead on treework, maybe... One of the laborers has done a bit of groundwork in the past, and he asked me if I climbed. I said yes, and he said he'd have to get my number. I'm a little ambivalent about it. He's a nice guy, but a goofball, and he mumbles. I have no idea what he's saying to me half the time. Long rambling monologues that go all over, with only half finished thoughts. I can't imagine having to communicate at distance with the way he usually speaks.

Today kicked my ass. Started a new job, and had to stake LOD. Hot and humid, and my arms and brain are like jelly. Got some brushcutting and a little saw work in. I finally did it, and put oil in my fuel tank. I had two hip flask liquor bottles I keep fuel and oil in, but the colors of the fluid were similar, and the labels were worn off. I filled the fuel tank, and thought "This doesn't look right". Had to dump it out and fill it right :^S Lots of lanternflies around there. You can see this from the bridge...

View attachment 122464

Pretty cool. I'll have to check the area out some time when the weather's fit for humans. I've been in the area before, and paddled the creek a few times. The Susquehanna is a stone's throw south of there. Also got a lead on treework, maybe... One of the laborers has done a bit of groundwork in the past, and he asked me if I climbed. I said yes, and he said he'd have to get my number. I'm a little ambivalent about it. He's a nice guy, but a goofball, and he mumbles. I have no idea what he's saying to me half the time. Long rambling monologues that go all over, with only half finished thoughts. I can't imagine having to communicate at distance with the way he usually speaks.
This your guy?

I’ve hiked all around that area where John is showing the flint furnace. Crossed that bridge many times. It’s not in great shape. Why you are there I suppose. There’s a good swimming beach on the sesquhanna really close. Took the kids there many times.

I once ran in the waterwheel like a hamster. I'd have gotten yelled at if rangers saw me :^D In retrospect, that was a bad idea on several levels. That thing's heavy, and once it gets going, it doesn't want to stop. Had to slowly brake it so I didn't tumble in it when it stopped.

I also got met by rangers down there once taking my canoe out. I had started at Eden Mill, was on the creek about 10 hours, and it was after dark when me and a friend took out. They were concerned someone drowned somewhere cause there was still a vehicle at Eden Mill,

Working in the neighborhood on a ~85', twin stem walnut removal. Just finished all the limbs and top of the first stem, and am enjoying a bit of AC for lunch before tackling the 2nd. Will finish ASAP, and leave the sticks for tomorrow (as I'm a little gassed from move in work last night). Will try to get a pic later of me up in the other stem.

Got this letter in the mail today. It went through the post office. Called the Sheriffs deputy to the house to take report and try to make sense of it. He couldn’t find any reports of Jeep / Olds incidents. I never owned an Olds. 6 people in my county share my name. None of them are Olds owners either.

Attachments

• E34113D9-DCBD-4B43-9193-B1F7F0643B5E.jpeg
    E34113D9-DCBD-4B43-9193-B1F7F0643B5E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Well that's some shit. Might want to put a camera on the front of your house, and get those axes sharp. Sounds like you got a nutjob admirer.

I may sleep in the living room for a few days (sometimes I fall asleep here anyway). I could get a gun from a neighbor or 2 but the axe should suffice. The 3.5lb chopping axe would be best me thinks. A camera isn’t a bad idea.

Day three of "break it week". Boss is tired.
Been coordinating so much fixing and down and stuff. Towed the diesel home. Hydraulic leaks. Parts runs for cheap shit costs 100.00 in fuel.
Saws just figged up. Next saw. Next saw. Comes in threes.
Jeebus. Now my one ton is acting up after a rutted up road. Last truck I got.

Well that’s some shit right there! Obviously they don’t have anything but the world is full of nutters. And they didn’t provide any way of contacting them.

Day three of "break it week". Boss is tired.
Been coordinating so much fixing and down and stuff. Towed the diesel home. Hydraulic leaks. Parts runs for cheap shit costs 100.00 in fuel.
Saws just figged up. Next saw. Next saw. Comes in threes.
Jeebus. Now my one ton is acting up after a rutted up road. Last truck I got.
Man! May good fortune be in your near future.

Back