How'd it go today?

Be on your toes at the plant, and if you are doing snow removal make sure you know where everything is. A few years ago a guy accidently drove onto the ice over a sludge pond while removing snow, very sad and horrible deal.

Finally got a small upgrade added to the Big Tex. Added a winch remote so I can dump from the truck. I’ll do the Load Trail later. It’ll take diodes since it’s power up/power down. Nice touch for less than $20! Checked it from inside the house, ~40 yards from the trailer. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Sisters dog came to visit for a few hours this afternoon...good little animal.

Had to "unflood" (there's probably a real word for that :|:) the holding tank for my well pump. Pump was doing the start-stop thing. Depressurized the tank and a few strokes with the bicycle pump to replace some water with air...all good now.
Just saw this and didn’t read on to see if anyone said something. Sorry to hear about your pressure tank. It needs to be replaced at this point. It has a ruptured diaphragm. The drain and air add is just a temporary fix as the air will absorb into the water fairly quickly. It’s a fairly easy diy for tool smart folks

Mine last generally until they rupture from freezing and the ice cutting a hole in them. Last one’s lasted several years now. Been waterlogged at least three years. I’m procrastinating the tank, as I want to replace pump, tank and well house all together.

We designed our system to be, if not immune, at least very highly resistant to freezing. Which is of course what kills pressure tank bladders quickly.

Our pressure tank is under the house in the tall crawl space. About 100 feet from the well itself, with the feed pipe buried 30 inches or so deep.

The house sits on a solid concrete foundation. It never ever gets under the high 40's down there, not in the last 35 years...even when the outside temps have dipped below 0 degrees F.

Even with that, we lost one about 10 years ago. In my research, I found that there is not much of a way to build a PT bladder that flexes multiple times a day under at least 80ish pounds of pressure, that won't give in to cracking and failure sooner or later.

Last edited:
When my plumber built his last new house in 2010, he installed a galvanized steel tank. He said he might have to put a little air in it every so often, but it would be the last one he ever installed. I think it might have been older than him to start with. They just take up more room.

My tank is a small one and never freezes in the basement.

I can't see myself running PVC under pressure...I'm lucky to keep the drains from leaking :lol: Cool looking unit though.

Spent more time in my constant pit of never ending despair (wood pile) yesterday. The rain was light at first but steadily turned into a soaker. My saw pants had water running out of them by the time I said to hell with it. Took the kids to the movie theater mid afternoon and then my brother in law’s family came over for dinner. Even though it rained all day, it was a great one.
I’ve got breakfast going in the smoker. Relit my wood burner since the temps are twenty degrees cooler than last evenings. Gonna go out and woller in the mud for a bit till breakfast is ready. At some point I’ll have to admit that I go back to work tomorrow

Didn't do a thing today. I could have I guess, but I just wasn't motivated. I wouldn't mind cutting the English ivy out of my maple, but then my neighbor might see me, and get me to cut a limb off. This is the guy that's afraid of trees. They added onto the house, and now have a parking pad that's within drop range of the tree. A year or so ago, he told me a stick fell on his mother's car. The way he said it, implied it was supposed to instill shock and awe. I just internally rolled my eyes, and said "Oh yea?". He then requested I remove a limb. I agreed. It's on his side of the property, and if I do it, it means some other numpty won't. A couple times I was gonna do it, but they had shit in the way, and I'm not asking someone to move *their* shit so I can cut *my* tree for *them*.

Anyway, I'd just as soon avoid it if I can. I like the limbs where they are, and if no one cares enough to ask again, I'm fine with the status quo. Funny thing... They have a picnic bench that always seems to be on my property, and there's a covered swing his mother uses that's real close to the line, and under the tree. *My* tree is basically the only shade they have left on their lot unless they wanted to spread a blanket out front, and sit under the Japanese maple. Funny how 1+1=potato to them...

currently laying flat with a strained back. Probably from work....ran a code doing CPR for an hour with four of us. Since we pushed TPA to bust a clot, we were committed for the long haul. CPR will wear your ass out. Paramedics have a "thumper" for such occasions. Trying to rest it since I go back in the morning for more punishment

Well the forecasters were off a bit. Things have turned into rain and we have quite a mess. Polar Bear Swim went off with out delay.
So Austin, who gets to vote on which bratty kid gets to be the appetizer for the ploar bears?...

;)

Just back from the mountains after a few days at a friends cabin. 3 families, 5 nippers and the kids just kept out the way. It was snowing for a couple of days and then clear today so we all went up the mountain or a play.

Happy new year from the cool kids. Wishing everyone a more wealth and better health for 2022.

96F466A2-ECEE-44E9-B60E-8EE5F5CC6C66.jpeg 90BF2DC8-9359-4920-B7F9-C50127815422.jpeg C9C8A1B4-69B0-4FCA-9CBA-5544410F1D2C.jpeg

Last edited:
I was sitting at the table eating a salad, and wondered "Has anyone distilled maple? Is that a thing?". Looked on the computer after eating, and it turns out it is a thing. A very new thing. It even has a brand new name proposed to designate it; acérum. That's my quest for 2022. Find a bottle of acérum.

The kids figured that out pretty early. She seems to have an endless supply of family friendly jokes too, some are great. If it’s too quiet you can just ask her how she’s doing. Really interesting device.

Back