How'd it go today?

That one was goofy. A blue Oak. Leaned way back. So I went up and did the tops after I raised the skirt. Tons of dead. Then worked my way down those limbs nearer the driveway. 4.5 hours on that one. Switching back and forth from SRT to Ddrt and such. A lot of long downward limb walks. And back up again. But normally, nice scaffolding in that species.

Well, today was definitely interesting. Did a 2 tree takedown for one of my brother's accounts, a condo association up in NW NJ. One leaning gray birch towards the end unit next to the woods, and then a takedown of a 100+ foot dead ash down the hill behind it. After the birch and lunch, we headed down the hill to assess the needed equip to get the ash tipped over. BM1 headed back up the hill to get some gear, and suddenly yells out "There's a bear going through my cooler!" BM2 and I run back up, and see the bear take off into the woods w/the cooler. I tell them both to start up chainsaws, and use it to scare him off (was a 6+ foot, 400 pounder, easy.) I then followed in w/the 461R and 36" bar, and ran that while they got all the food stuff and gear out of there. The bear sat back about 200ft. in the woods, and every time I revved the saw, he would back off. After about 15 mins. he left.

So, we had informed the homeowner to call the HOA, and I called the police in the meantime. While waiting for the cops/animal control to come, all of a sudden, I'm walking back to the scene of the crime, and a sow and 2 cubs appear, sniffing around! Once again, saws start revving, and we chase those 3 off. The cops showed up shortly after, and tried to pursue via the roadway in the direction they were heading.

All in all, burned an extra 1.5 hours before I could get the monkeys back in the woods, and one was on watchdog duty the rest of the afternoon. Thankfully finished the job, only losing about 5 feet of new 3-strand rope we used to pull the ash over (buried under the stick; figured better to cut and run than waste 1+ hrs trying to dislodge it).

Exciting day Brian! I've only seen a wild bear once, and it was just a little guy on the stream bank as I paddled by.

Nice job Stephen, at least you didn't have to worry about bears up there.

Just a bit of work on the truck today, yearly roadworthy check tomorrow. Ran out of grease on the last nipple, bit like the last cut syndrome.

Try Yandex, it's better than Google for some things.

Try Startpage for a search engine.

Thanks but I'm pretty right for security.

Startpage won't find the "some things" I was referring to, those Russians know a lot more than Google.:evil4:

Just got the new fridge installed.

Its a Whirlpool, with french doors.

Frogsnacks......was it expensive!

The ole Maytag did well enough for lasting 40 years.

I get the idea that a lot of folks "ugdate" before these appliances die.

Gonna try and get the Maytag fixed. Its an R12 system....sooooo........Not sure if it will be saveable.

The old stuff is better. New stuff's just fancy and fragile. All I want from the fridge is a numbered dial for temperature, and a light to come on when I open the door. They hit the zenith of fridge design around 1970.

Went back into work last night just before dark to clear off the driving range so the guy coming in at 6am could do some work on the greens (new carpet).

I get there at 6am this morning and did a bunch of little stuff until around 9 and still no show...this is the second time this goofball either came over two hours late or was a no show. I was fixing to start calling him "mountain time" due to the delay in his last showing (EST here)...Might have to switch that to "old dependable" now :|:

Another routine day. Got off a little early, and took my climbing gear home. Wasn't sure if my back was up to it, but it's gotta get here anyway...

Took another look at my locust. Remember my description in the other thread? Yea, it doesn't look anything like that. Well, it does if you smooth out all the parts, and set the tree up so it'll be easy. I've done that before. I don't know what my problem is. I'll look at a tree, rough in how I think I'm gonna do it, then make the tree in my head conform to my plan, reality be damned.

Geometry's pretty bad for my double tie plan. Angles are too small, and I don't like the crotch I intended on using. I'm now thinking a limb walk with spurs, and nibble it back a bit at a time. I'm still not convinced the limb will hold me, but if I'm tied off, I should only get a startling swing out of a failure. Still have to do some thinking on it, and let my back get a bit better.

While I was looking at the tree, a pileated woodpecker landed, and chipped away some bark. Those are super cool birds. I always like seeing them, but not necessarily in my trees :^D

Oof. 50s sounds nice, but that's a hell of a temp spread. Hard to get used to things with that big a shift.

Fairly cool for the time of year. It's been mid 70s for the last week or so, but on and off humidity. It's almost always humid here, though the past weekend was fantastic. It should be solidly in the 80s by now historically speaking, but the last bunch of years have had mild winters with cool weather lingering long into spring. It'll be into the 80s by the end of the week. That's why I wanted to get into my tree, but I just wasn't feelin' it. I'll just have to deal with the hotter weather I guess.

Might be flying into philly Thursday to check out a truck. Kinda hope not. I hate flying and I can be in philly in 7 hours as long as there ain’t no bear. Also my Vermeer dealer dropped off the CTX100 today. What a machine! Even impressed the boss. Teased the salesman a bit and I’m getting to try the new 160 as well. Put the shiny machine behind my truck and drove past the toro dealer. All of the sudden they are considering an on-site demo. I’m just having fun playing with someone else’s money. We’re buying one, maybe two machines before summer is over. Might as well make them fight over the sale

Back home from hospital, apparently all went well although I didn’t see my surgeon as he was at another hospital today. Due to the Covid a lot of minor surgery had been cancelled hence why I got in earlier than I thought. I only went for pre op assessment on the 3rd June, got given the date of the 15th June by phone a few hours later. I’ve had to self isolate since then and for 14 more days now I’m out as well, the rest of my family too due to the greater risk to myself of infection apparently. They’ve pumped me full of antibiotics after surgery and continued until discharge, not that I have an infection but I think they are being very cautious. Luckily the hospital I went too was a private one that also does take cases from our NHS system which meant I avoided going to the larger main hospital and had my own room. I believe there are only two of us in for surgery Monday due to the cleaning that has to be done between patients. I had to go in masked up and had to wear it continually until I got into theatre but afterwards was allowed to be without it although all the staff are continually wearing there’s. Sure makes harder work for those guys.

Back