How'd it go today?

did a small job taking 4 little trees down for my neighbor to get new internet line ran
also got my outrigger pads finished, thats 3" thick southern yellow pine pressure treated ply, 24" square
yeah its overkill, but not terribly heavy, made them 3" thick because these outriggers get stuck down, and/or break hydraulic fittings if you run them down too far, on level ground just touching is already at the orange "do not extend past this mark" line, cant even take weight with them without blocks or pads under them

357358422_659055262386850_2156254587458359953_n.jpg
Late to the party here, those are identical to the ones I used to make for my bucket truck. You even used the same method of attaching the rope handle.

Late to the party here, those are identical to the ones I used to make for my bucket truck. You even used the same method of attaching the rope handle.
they seem to work really nice, im working on storage for them right now, putting one under the driver door, wedged in behind the step, and one vertical between the right outrigger and the diesel tank
also trimmed the edges off them and clipped the corners so they dont splinter so bad

We survived the long weekend camping. It was either raining or ready to rain most of the time. The kids got to ride the four wheelers in the greasy mud a lot. Two of them managed to redesign the aerodynamics of their machines pretty bad but neither were hurt besides some minor scrapes. The quads need some attention though. We all ate way too much the whole time. If I ate like that at home I’d never get anything done. Got home and went to my parents to swim and eat too much again. All in all it was a great long weekend.
Hope everyone else is enjoying the day

Had to do gradesheets today. Well, I didn't *have* to do them today, but I've been putting it off since last Thursday, so today was the day. I left my field computer at work. so I had to use a shitty spreadsheet I hacked together a few years ago to help figure grades. It was a project I had started and abandoned. I should probably work on it some more. It's good for an emergency like today, but it's such a hassle doing involved math in a spreadsheet. It knows *nothing* by default, so you have to jump through hoops getting everything formatted right. Anyway, it got done, and I didn't have to drive anywhere, so I call that a win.

Screenshot_2023-07-04_19-33-48.png

Had to do gradesheets today. Well, I didn't *have* to do them today, but I've been putting it off since last Thursday, so today was the day. Anyway, it got done, and I didn't have to drive anywhere, so I call that a win.

View attachment 130731
Hmmm, spreadsheets on the 4th of July... certainly you could have been more creative than that 😁.

Left here at 4am to take Lilly to the airport and send her off to her aunt and uncle in Idaho. Her cousins and herself will be in a camp for two weeks there. Just got back home. 3-3.5 hour drive each way plus food stops. Then school supplies for next month.
Got a rental car to do it with. It was cheaper to rent the car and fuel it than take my diesel and cross my fingers nothing went wrong. Peace of mind was worth more money even. But we saved instead. Just dropped the rental off after picking my truck up at my mom's. Now nap time I am thinking.
(with all the stops and stopping by to let the dogs out, I've been on the road for over 12 hours, that's enough)

My other take away from this trip is. ...
In as much as I love the fuel savings, I really dont want a car like this. I got a Toyota Corolla. Like brand new. I could barely climb out of it. I prefer stepping down from our trucks or Yukon.
Man my knee was not happy.
Nice car otherwise.

Oh, and this thing would drive itself. VERY disconcerting. I tried to use just the cruise control. The computer told me it was disabled except for driver assist. Driver assist steers and controls the speed of the car. I pushed the button on our curvy roads and an immediate "hell naw" came from my lips.
Also the damn brights. You had to hold them on. Now, suffering the results of folks coming up here and never turning the brights off on these new LEDs coming toward them, I felt this was novel. Having to use them this way on our canyon roads that deer and bear cross, not so much.

I hated driving my mother's Corolla. Dunno what's out there these days, but something like a Kia Soul might be a good compromise, where you're getting decent gas mileage, but don't feel like you're climbing out of a manhole to get out of it.

I too despise cars. Same reasons. I like to step down out of a vehicle and my knees don’t like the ride or getting out. I picked up a ford escape last fall for a run around vehicle. Gets good mileage compared to my work truck and suburban. Doesn’t do me much good for camping trips or vacations though. Can’t tow a real trailer and can’t hold enough for five of us to go very far. Little cramped with us all in there.

Listening to the 45 year old neighbor child and his buddies light fireworks off now. Doesn’t bother me but I’ll be surprised if the ambulance doesn’t make a showing tonight. They ain’t the brightest sample of the human species.

I made a phone holster out of Sterling RIT and Bee Line hitch cord, a DMM XSRE carabiner, and 4mm 750lb paracord. Check it out in my hitch tying thread; I have four photos. It's not exactly a professionally made product, but I thought it was pretty creative and it functions beautifully. I've needed a phone holster for when I'm in the trees for awhile now. This link should take you directly to the post. If not, it's the most recent one.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone!

Last edited:
Mike,
Tree friend in St Pete hooked us up with a realtor friend of theirs whose former wrestling coach is in New Port Ritchie and does such work. That fellow asked for the young couples names so he can be sure to be responsive when they contact him.
Tree people network is awesome.

Oh, and this thing would drive itself. VERY disconcerting. I tried to use just the cruise control. The computer told me it was disabled except for driver assist. Driver assist steers and controls the speed of the car. I pushed the button on our curvy roads and an immediate "hell naw" came from my lips.
Also the damn brights. You had to hold them on. Now, suffering the results of folks coming up here and never turning the brights off on these new LEDs coming toward them, I felt this was novel. Having to use them this way on our canyon roads that deer and bear cross, not so much.
Are you sure you aren't doing something wrong to make the brights stay on? I'm used to pulling the stick all the way back to make them stay on, but some cars require the headlight selector be set on a certain setting, and some cars keep the brights on by pushing the stick forward.

I also believe this may be a case of operator error in the shape of Stephen not being close to in sync with modern vehicular tech :D.

I feel bad. Some virus found me. My stomach is locked, making me all nauseous. It wants to puke but nothing comes out. All the muscles and the joints are in pain, like I didn't find a still position for more than 1 minute the first night. Fewer, something like sharp waves of pressure in the brain. Now the throat is attacked.
It isn't the strongest strike I encountered, but still, I can't do anything for the moment beside sleeping time to time one hour or so. Fun..

Back