How'd it go today?

The black oak I’m doing will look that way as well. Only the central leader is intact. It didn’t look that bad from the ground. Even the very top of that has some die back. We’ll see how long it lives.

Worked on a well and boiler today in the neighborhood. These 2 things I don’t do often.

Decided to try my manual pole saw out. Went up 85’ pulled the saw up and cut (2) 5” black oak branches. I HATE manual pole saws. I’m gonna spur in the canopy for safety. The tree is dying anyway. May not even leaf out next year.

Was it really 110 per? I'd be angry too. I forgot what saw you got, but maybe a silky blade would improve performance.

I’m going to try my silky next to my pole blade and count the strokes. If significant, I’ll fork out the money, assuming it’ll fit. Just contacted a guy about a power pruner.

Laid out pile today, and did a house stakeout later. Nothing exciting.

IMG_20221020_103348155_HDR.jpg

Found out my girl cat knows she's 'the sister'. I was asking the boy where his sister was, and she came running over from the stairwell. I was fairly impressed.

69 strokes for the Chinesium
68 strokes for the Silky.
12 month old cut holly.
Maybe my silky has been getting dull over the past 14 mo. It ripped through 4” cottonwood is 5 strokes just 2 months ago though. Not like it’s been out of my possession or I cut cement, soil, or metal with it. (I reserve those materials for my chainsaw)

Attachments

• EC424CE7-AA76-4B2F-B2C1-98255E1D4F15.jpeg
    EC424CE7-AA76-4B2F-B2C1-98255E1D4F15.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
So, about the same. Maybe it just doesn't bother me as much, and I'm cutting more than I think. My background is manual saws, and I've used some nasty ones as far as sharpness goes, so a good silky is like heaven.

I would have loved for the Silky to eat it for lunch. That would mean a new blade would be smokin! The silky has a slightly smaller kerf and is a little easier to start. Oh well, The gas powered pole pruner will be here tomorrow. Haha

Never thought to use high pressure air. When I was young, my parents always handed me a flat head screwdriver and I was on the porch cleaning the mud that way

Played in the dying black oak again since work let me out early. First time I’ve built a temporary structure to protect something. The fire pit was safe. Glad I didn’t have to use the structure.
First time I set up a pulley to raise the pole saw (or anything for that matter) using my climb line tail. It worked great! It was worth the setup time as I was up about 85’.

Attachments

• DAD21B62-DA22-4057-8BD0-657EC0E9BC77.jpeg
    DAD21B62-DA22-4057-8BD0-657EC0E9BC77.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Back