How'd it go today?

@biggun how goes your hand?

It goes, just about 😁 thanks for asking.

On a serious note, I am back working part time at the moment. This is mainly due to the cold weather, that and the nerve damage make it pretty painful when the temps drop.

Saying that, I did 4 days last week. Only grounded on the fourth day as my mate had been let down so I stepped in. Climbed the other three days though.

Takedowns on spikes are easier than pruning at the moment. Got a big mature oak to prune and tidy tomorrow.

It will get there and the part time workload gives me time to still get a bit of snowboarding in. Off to Røldal this Thursday for 4 days split boarding.

I managed to get some heated glove liner from the Occupational Therapist. They are ok and fit under normal gripper gloves without too much trouble. Trouble is the battery only lasts about a couple of hours.

It’s getting there already. After Easter it starts to warm up a lot with the long hours and increasing angles of the sun. Summer is pretty warm. Often +25c for long periods. One summer I was contracting in Oslo and it was 27c at 7 in the morning. By the afternoon it was 35 and some days got up to 37c. Thing is the sun is out till past midnight so it never really cools down until a pressure change comes through. Rinse and repeat. We had it like that everyday for well over 2 weeks could have even been 3, we were frazzled.

Haha.

I live near Oslo in the East. It is a pretty stable climate here. Better than the UK. Proper winter with snow and snow sports. Warm summers with long days and plenty to do if you like out door type stuff. We live next to the fjord and even the water heats up with the long days. 23c ish. The kids just spend most of the time in board shorts and flip flops at the beach or diving from the rocks.

Picture was taken last summer and is just below our house.
372A6A57-3C4A-465C-BDF8-28174DDDFBFB.jpeg

Lotta work Jonny.

Does he ever mention this place or is he a bit more chilled out in real life?
He’s definitely more chill in person. He’ll grumble about the government a bit, but not so constantly and not always trying to get the last word. He’s easy to get along with in real life. Really does build some cool saws too. Extremely loud saws lol but he seems to know how to get more power out of a stock saw. Very noticeable when we both have an MS-241cm and an MS-441cm, mine stock and his hot rod ported or whatever. My stock saws don’t make my ears ring even with plugs, and a cut speed difference of a few seconds isn’t important to me like it is to the saw building folks.

Anywho, I climbed for about 5 hours in the blowing snow, got chapped lips and a wind burnt face. Hands and feet never really got very cold or uncomfortable today. Got paid pretty well, with time left for a shower before I go spend 12 hours making plastic countertops for the wealthy. Hopefully it’s an easy night. I’m predicting a caffeine intake of at least 1.5 grams. Tomorrow will be a true day off. :)

Had to forge out a pulp hook point so I could split more wood. They seem to be made of some sort of steel that hardens too much and then they snap. I've drawn both of these out and filed new hooks on them several times. I don't quench them, just let them cool slowly, but they always get a bit brittle. Hate to handle wood without a pulp hook.

20220313_180210.jpg

I'm very late to using a short sappie, which is a functionally a pulphook the way I use it, and I can hardly imagine doing without it going forward. I wish I got one years ago.

What type of countertops do you make Jonny?
I make DuPont Corian.
It’s challenging and complicated sometimes, but challenging will keep it interesting for me. Lots of hazardous materials but it’s waaay less hazardous and much easier than being a full time climber lol. Sometimes I really miss full time tree work, but I’ve adjusted to factory life. I love the schedule of 4 days on then 4 days off, 12 hour shifts, so I get time to do a little part time climbing and suburban tree work. I’ll have my 15 year anniversary with DuPont in May. Time really flies.

Did my piss off job this morning. It's the one where site engineers thought they were competant enough to do highway work. It was a couple hours trying to figure out how to layout road lanes without it being stupid, and then I got out of the truck :^S

After that, I laidout beamseats on a pier. This is what the rebar looks like...

IMG_20220314_140016.jpg

No kidding! That would be a SOB trying to get down there to retrieve it. I once dropped a 6" ruler down a bridge form, and it wasn't worth the squeeze through the rebar to get it. After it was poured and the forms stripped, I found my ruler on the outside. I just had to chip a couple pieces of concrete to get it back. Made my day :^D

Made a frame today for that photo. Used rough sawn cedar to give it a ‘woodsy’ look. (I added a closer image of the lithograph in the hallway shot background for Stig, Gary, and you other martial arts types: ‘oi zuki’ or lunge-punch, done in 1975 by my girlfriend, an art student and fellow Shotokan practitioner)

Also sold three of my old Homelite saws to a collector ($$$).

EF7BCC04-D1D4-4743-8EEF-AD6FAF69776A.jpeg
5638B345-A9BD-4CB3-8C47-639F2D548B97.jpeg
4DB2BEE2-6956-48D0-9D15-A8DFC262C653.jpeg
8E327CAC-7555-4AF8-AC98-4566B5545362.jpeg

Last edited:
Back