How'd it go today?

They can be quite vocal if you don't do it right.

I would be vocal, too...

I was surprised the sound a frog makes when you pith it. My female lab partner freaked!

Cutting it open and pithing it were two different labs.

The next semester we pithed turtles... they weren't happy, either.

At the end of each lab, you just tossed the formaldehyded cat back in its bag and slapped it on a shelf.

So, my 10yr old daughter comes in with one of the kittens and announces, "this kitten ain't right in the head".
After I finally composed myself, it turns out one ear is much smaller than the other.
Kittens name is now Nemo.
My apples don't fall far from the tree.
Parenting win.

Attachments

• 20190909_160855.jpg
    20190909_160855.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 52
Cute kitty. Kittens are lots of fun.

Had a fairly easy day on my real job, so I spent a couple hours bushwhacking on the farm. Finally got to use the shredder blade I've had for a few months, and didn't get around to trying. That thing destroys stickers and vines. Can almost see the pond now. Probably have another 8 hours brushcutting, and then I'll have a better picture of the situation, and can finish thinning the trees.

Started in on a nice size project, near my casa, but in a richer part of the area, low-bank waterfront. Neighbors, new owners for one year, want a bid.

Pretty substantial maple removal bid this evening. Septic and a shed beneath. Driveway is already cracked, so it wouldn't stand up to the pressure of a crane... My estimation.

Good rigging opportunities. 100'er, and some bark peeling, but a full crown. Some hollows previously occupied by raccoons.

I made perhaps my dumbest cut ever. Not that I didn't lost my share of trees, but this one I feel really stupid. Amongst others recently dead trees, there was 2 small pines (say 7-8 " at the stump) along a driveway. The first one had a good back lean, so I made a backcut first, as a matter of practice. I wedged it over and all went well. The second one was a back leaner too, but slightly. Still a little too much to be sure to be able to push it by hand. Back cut first, it should be even easier than the first one. But shit ! This damned tree suddenly went backward across the driveway. No damage, but that shakes your mind ! Turns out that my top (and last) cut was perfectly aimed to ... the backcut !
:big-bat:
How stupid is that ? I can't even tell how I managed to make such a mistake.

My landlord/ neighbor knocked on the door yesterday and said "I've got a tree problem... this big oak with 3stems and a rotten base split apart, and the two stems still standing are leaning at the neighbor's hose! " I thought he was joking, trying to come up with the crappiest tree job he could think of... NOPE. Walked down the hill and sure enough, biggish shitty oak one stem down.

Rotten base, and pretty solid lean on the 2 standing, but luckily nothing underneath. Put a guy line in the taller stem, got up top and there was some bad movement, not that soothing sway, but that weird jerking that puckers you right up. Thinking about the redneck crane thread, set anothe guy at 90degrees. Proceed to crash out 6-12" leads with grat enthusiasm! Back on ground, dropped 35' spars, brush piled and diced, wood on the ground where it fell. Petty sweet day all told!

Spent another 5.5hr at work brushcutting around the small pond, and I'm more or less done. Looks like a disaster right now cause of the huge quantity of stuff I knocked down that's now turning brown, but it should look better once everything settles in. Just need to hit some big vines with the saw, take out a few more trees, and do a little pruning on the keeper trees.

Back