How'd it go today?

Mick. Congrats on the new saw.

I've heard really good things about the Echo... also it uses the same size chain as a normal saw.... the 150 is tiny toothed and requires a file with the consistency of a dry spaghetti piece....

Nice crane job Pat! Wish we had a 50 ton animal close by. Most places are too tight for one. But when you need the reach .......

Deva.... I see you've been tagging :lol:

Here is where we are working up in Yosemite. Dead trees are down behind the house and above Miami Creek. Wish I brought my fishin pole. Enough water in it now. Driveway narrow with a ton of little trees so only a small trailer gets in. Dales F550 just barely fits. A little room to turn around in and stack logs.
Trail is a tad steep and rolled slate. SO we have to be nice. Only room for 8 foot pieces. Dingo to the rescue. One prune on the creek. Mother nature was kid to put some tall trees next to the dead ones so a good high tie in and rigging points. 100' shot just to get a tie in where you can land to advance further up. I have a cold messing with my breathing, so I SRT'd the prune today (I'll get afters tomorrow due to lighting) and then Wraptor to the rescue. Spurred up the big dead fir and got it done as well today. About 125 footer. 30" DBH. Tad smaller one tomorrow. And the snag next to the big one. Portable winch to the rescue.
Dale is felling and burning small trees down by the creek, we get to make ours go up hill.
So here is some fodder of the site. GoPro took a dump on me and I think I lost it.... Can't find it in the truck to see what went wrong :( SO no action stuff this job :(
Nice office for the week though :)

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2000.jpg
    IMG_2000.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 37
Wow, beautiful pics.

Did some more storm work.
Going shopping for groceries. Forgot my wallet when I changed pants and realized it at the register.

Some solenoid is dead or not functioning right, so my mini hydraulic pump is stuck on 'turtle' mode. Sucks. Sucks less than no mini!!. Just started acting up after I lifted the spar, attached to the uprooted, very flat, shallow doug-fir root plate in a wet area, off the second story deck.

Haven't used my chip truck in a good bit, but its loaded up with logs at the moment, fir and cedar, and adding some maple tomorrow that I think will be BEautiful when milled up.

Beautiful area that Miami Creek. I’d gladly trade you for this suburban stuff we do!
The 60 ton would only chart out about 300 pounds more than the 50 ton at that distance; not worth the added cost.
Herman set two long straps connected end to end to reach the very top back pick, so the crane op could drop him well away from the high voltage wires. Consequently he had no cable left and boomed up, and I just cut from the shielded side and let it rake on by... a few dead smaller branches showered me with debris. The rest of the tree went well and less dramatically.

A pair of Black Walnut removals -- first was grapple/crane assisted takedown. Second was out of reach so it was climbed & I rigged it down. Got about 10 keeper logs out of them, nothing too huge but a couple really nice ones with a nice grain -- and lotsa black, not much white to them at all. Customer was happy, kept some firewood. Our price was nearly 1/2 of the other bid, mostly because we wanted to keep the logs, but also knowing it would only take about a 1/2 day on the job. I'm guessing the other tree co. didn't want to do it and put up a prohibitively expensive bid. Bad for them, because now the customer (a property owner) is going to shift all future tree business to us!

Then on to do a ratty, dead Siberian Elm removal -- climbed, bombed, chipped, dumped.

Good deal on the axle!

Tree work, milling has been completely dry for about a month. Selling some live edge. Electric motor shop is keeping me afloat. More work on the kiln. Would have liked more glass, but I will need to move it a couple times. Heated up nice this morning with an hour and half of sunlight.

View attachment 91351

Peter as I understand it air dries things far more than heat does. Maybe solar panels and fans in its future?

That may be so but heat as well as air/fans is what is used commercially to dry lumber. Maybe just take longer without the heat? It must be worthwhile at some point as the cost is huge and we dry veneer at 400f.

Mick are you using 2 hands on the saw most of the time or is one handing causing the wrist issues?[/QUOTE]

I use it one handed a lot and I guess it must contribute, but it’s the same on the other wrist, it’s just that they’re not as strong as they were as a younger man.

A smaller engine cutting less wood with a narrower kerf is a win in my book.

I have a 200t. I rarely reach for it.

I bet that Echo would feel like a toy to you, and your wrists would thank you for it.

I used to use a 200t without a choice of a smaller saw when I had a day-job or whatever.

The 200t with a 12" was way less wrist strain. We were one-handing from a bucket all the time. Easy enough to have a 12" on one and a 16" on another.

My wrists used to plague me. Not presently. Barely take anti-inflammatories.

Are you taking anti-inflammatories, routinely?

No, I don’t take anti inflammatory pills.

We’ll see how the saw goes, ideal work for it today, retopping some small willows and a basswood.

Better load the truck now!

Peter as I understand it air dries things far more than heat does. Maybe solar panels and fans in its future?

It was just at freezing today and reached 77f in the sun. I still have plenty of cracks and gaps to fill as well as insulate. The glass wall does bring in heat. I am installing fans and a dehumidifier, and some extra heat for the nights. I'll also set.up some.baffles.or whatnot to reduce the space.

No, I don’t take anti inflammatory pills.

We’ll see how the saw goes, ideal work for it today, retopping some small willows and a basswood.

Me either, and I've had a little Echo for a few years now. Posted about it in the 150 thread once. Bit of a shock after using 020T and 200's for years so put it on the shelf for a while but wouldn't part with it now.

Only 1/2 day of work today: drop-n-chip a medium ash (pulled it over using the winch + redirect pulley -- too much backweight toward the house over the roofline). Limbed & chipped, then a quick power pruning canopy raising of another one in the back. Seriously declining, we'll probably be out again in a year or so to remove it. Then my fun for the day: yanking two bushes out of the ground with the winch. Base tied off with a daisy chain hitch, constrictor around them to where the main trunks stopped, marl back to the chipper line tug, tug out they come like yanking teeth. Will be back out on Friday to stump grind it.

Dangerous day today...raining, so I'm sitting at the computer, with my bank card, having just sent out invoices...hmmm, what do I need?

Finished up the two storm-related jobs today, save a little blowing. Didn't get the blower in the right truck for one job.

In case i was running short on millable maple, Not Really, I got more. Sure would keep me busy to buy a mill for the 'slow' season. Some burls. I saw a maple on the driveway that a poacher would love. Burly.

Back