How'd it go today?

This was a first for me. Our customer had a flying squirrel house built and wanted us to install it. I have no idea if we placed it in an appropriate spot, but it's where the customer wanted it. I hope it works for her. It was a fun little project.
50dd099b3ebd4e3037729cb10afd1c2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good job to get...hope they use it and not the house. A few years back I trapped 12 flying squirrels over one winter in my attic...crazy critters. I only thought there was one or two...they just kept showing up.

That's so cool. I wonder if they'll come shooting out the opening. Like you're having squirrel breakfast, open your squirrel door, and go blast around in your wing suite. . . haha

Muggy today,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D8-EdHq8gwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was a first for me. Our customer had a flying squirrel house built and wanted us to install it. I have no idea if we placed it in an appropriate spot, but it's where the customer wanted it. I hope it works for her. It was a fun little project.
50dd099b3ebd4e3037729cb10afd1c2f.jpg

I had a lot of fun doing the same for an old family friend some years back. I put up four boxes on very large poplars, off the back deck over a steep slope to a creek. The trees had bases about 40 feet below the deck and about the same distance away, and I scattered the boxes between 25 and 50 feet above the deck level. Those dang flying squirrels, who'd been using the trees some, but not nesting there, adopted the offered housing right off. It was mighty fun to sit on that deck with a cold drink of a late afternoon and watch them come and go...and yes, they could glide right on to the box, land and scamper inside before you could figure out how they did it so slick and easy.

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun doing the same for an old family friend some years back. I put up four boxes on very large poplars, off the back deck over a steep slope to a creek. The trees had bases about 40 feet below the deck and about the same distance away, and I scattered the boxes between 25 an 50 feet above the deck level. Those dang flying squirrels, who'd been using the trees some, but not nesting there, adopted the offered housing right off. It was mighty fun to sit on that deck with a cold drink of a late afternoon and watch them come and go...and yes, they could glide right on to the box, land and scamper inside before you could figure out how they did it so slick and easy.
Just curious, where and how did you mount the boxes? The customer told me where to put it and I did because I have no idea where they should be placed. I don't know if it matters that we mounted it in a branch union versus mounting it on the clear stem. I put it about 35' up vs 65'.... I wonder if any of that even matters.

I'm sitting under a tree where last time I was in it I spooked two flyers. I think we put to much thought into it, the flyers can't choose where the hollow in the branch would be, they just deal with it. This couple was gliding from limb to limb while I was doing some deadwood. A real treat to see five feet from your head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 51
The following is a mini- thread:

If you could find the person(s) who broke into your truck (again), and if there were to be no legal repercussions, would you kill them?

Perhaps some would not because it would be just wrong, or out of a sense of compassion for a lost soul, or because it wouldn't give them any satisfaction, or because of unintended consequences of such an outlandish action, or many more possible reasons.

I would enjoy killing them in retribution and also to perform a valuable pubic service. One less addict creating havoc out there is a small positive step for the community. I should probably be compensated for it, ten dollars for services rendered.

Yes, I was robbed again. They didn't get much because I bring all the saw home at night which is a huge pita. Spent the day getting the tool boxes fixed instead of earning a living. :drink:

Sucks, Cory, sorry.

You have to get the police's approval before doing the killing. They can't really say it's ok, but if you pay attention a wink will suffice.

Thanks but don't be sorry, it aint no thang, people been stealing since the dawn of man.

No insurance, I'll pay for truck myself.

Im getting no responses re the question at hand. Death, or status quo?

Ok, simul posts.

Branding, hmmm, now there's some innovative TH thinking I was looking for.

I agree re kids, they are too young and dumb. Im guessing the perp was late 20s to thirties. Perfect for culling.

Back