How'd it go today?

Aside from the rain I got started making a shelf for mom's christmas present. Then I went to my 2 Thursday night classes. Tomorrow...., pics will come,.........I get started on the kitchen

With less than a week till Thanksgiving.... can I do it? We shall see :/:

Did a storm removal today... at my ex-wife's place of all places. My old house.:|: Anyways... Dead Hemlock that has needed to come out for some time. The top blew out during the last storm and hit her parked SUV. So I figgered that since my kids still live there too... I didn't want anybody to get hurt if this thing came down the rest of the way. I climbed up about 20 feet and set a pull line to the winch on my truck. I didn't trust it to chunk it down. It was creakin' as I spiked it. I did all this after an 8 hour shift at the Navy base too.
I'm friggin' beat. The beer tastes good... like I deserve it!:)

Gary

Oh, your ex found one of those fufu men. Give over on it, there is no way to compete with those types, even if you want to :/:

Good job on the tree by the way!

I planted pachysandra all day. It sucked, more than anything has ever sucked before.
At $40 an hour, it can sucketh the life outta me.
But I still hate it.

Called in sick today for the first time since I can remember. Getting over a bad head cold and a sprained ankle, I figure I'd be pretty useless and there's no point in getting everyone else sick too. Even so, I always feel guilty when I call in sick...

I trimmed/pruned of all the terrible invasive trees, an Accacia melanoxylon.

Pretty funny though, this tree is one of 8 in a row down the main drag of main post, so it's pretty much right in the public eye.

I pruned one half of the tree, The apprentice started to prune the other half and the Bucket was reducing end weight.

Botttom line is three different pruning styles on three different parts of the tree. It was a good Idea, til I stepped back and looked at it.

Let's just say you can notice the different interpretations of 20% thin.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I killed a perfectly fine specimen of Live Oak for a Thai family today. I'm assuming they were plumb stupid. Scared of leaves, or some such shit.

Deva, I have experienced that too. It is really hard to get a guy in a bucket to match his pruning with the climbers.

Repayed quite a bit of ArboricKarma Debt today.

We as a crew planted 100 redwoods today, only 28 more to go tomorrow.

Dug holes by hand, planted, staked and tied.

Repayed quite a bit of ArboricKarma Debt today.

We as a crew planted 100 redwoods today, only 28 more to go tomorrow.

Dug holes by hand, planted, staked and tied.

What a great thing to do...Is that redwoods as in the kind that eventually get huge?

Today went well. BEAUTIFUL day, mid 40s, bright blue sky. Went over to the farm to do a quick run through the herd (real quick, the sun was setting.) There was a 4-wheeler parked on the other side of the back fence. Looked around, didn't see anyone so I kept driving. I was about to leave when I started thinking how WEIRD was that!?? Figured I'd better go back and make sure the rider wasn't under it or anything. Got back there and saw a flash of orange.....there was a hunter tucked into the corner of the field, up against the barbed wire fence. He was pointed out, away from our property....but still not somewhere I was comfortable being. Spent the rest of the daylight picking up firewood I'd cut last year. I'll cut some more tomorrow.

What a great thing to do...Is that redwoods as in the kind that eventually get huge?

Yes, They are gonna grow tall, maybe 100-120 feet but not humongous (200+)
because the soil substrate is not ideal alluvial (creek/river deposits), nor is a ryparian (creek)
element present for consistent year round irrigation.

Most of the irrigation will be seasonal rainfall and fog after
the irrigation is pulled after at least a 3 year establishment period.

Oh yeah and we're gonna put 128 trees in rows within a half acre,
Little tight but we'll be thinning after we find out who lived and who died.

12 hours of hell, 34*c sweated like i do in Brisbane here today..

Midway through my 2nd tree of the day i fired my main groundie, im just so sick to death of the constant back chat, im down to 2 ticketless inexperenced labours again..

Im also back to 23 jobs behind, 8 quotes came in today alone, paper work is backed up to buggerey, i cant get a hair cut or to the bank..

Its dark when i leave, dark when i pull up in the driveway..

Im actually starting to hate trees??? WTF??

I really NEED some help here.

Yes, They are gonna grow tall, maybe 100-120 feet but not humongous (200+)
because the soil substrate is not ideal alluvial (creek/river deposits), nor is a ryparian (creek)
element present for consistent year round irrigation....

Good explanation, Bodean...thanks for the brief education. That whets my interest enough that I'll go read some more about how alluvial and ryparian elements contribute to redwood growth.

Derek, maybe you need to charge more for your work...you probably won't get as many jobs but you might make just as much money (maybe more)...

and work less. You gotta have play time (or haircut time).

12 hours of hell, 34*c sweated like i do in Brisbane here today..

Midway through my 2nd tree of the day i fired my main groundie, im just so sick to death of the constant back chat, im down to 2 ticketless inexperenced labours again..

Im also back to 23 jobs behind, 8 quotes came in today alone, paper work is backed up to buggerey, i cant get a hair cut or to the bank..

Its dark when i leave, dark when i pull up in the driveway..

Im actually starting to hate trees??? WTF??

I really NEED some help here.

Derek, it sounds like maybe it's time to raise your fees.....?

Fantastic advice lads, ill start tommorow$$$$

Just on dark tonight i found the address i was looking for, just a quick chat ill come back and drop in a quote .. She showed me the tree,

Even in the semidark my jaw dropped, i have anoher of those "el bizzaro" pines AKA CLIMBER CILLERS as i call them, all that twisted and fused and still growing into eacher.. It does my head in, how people still have such trees in suburbia!
Boggels me more how its still up right, im stunned by the 50 odd trucks of chip that would be in it, bothered that id have an 88 and 36 6 meters up with massive bind pressures that are impossible to read.

The others ive done and posted before, have been sorta out in the open a little, this THING is gunna have to have substancial lowering involved, just to get an exit path through it will take a day, ill post some pics tommorow nite, im going to climb it BEFORE i quote on this one, i cant see how bad the fusion is, all i see is massive cojoined wood!

Ill start a thread, help me quote on this monster, ill show what NIL acsess is around too, ill pull some fences down to get to it, its got to be a 4 day job with 4 men, i have a horrible feeling its might take a week to get it out and raked up..Derek..Ps Hi Jay, sorry im getting back to you about the chairs, there one in the pics thread. Pretty boring

The transmission on my lift truck decided to pack it in today. It happened right out in front of a heavy duty truck wrecking yard. I still had reverse, so I backed it down the street right into their yard. They will put a rebuilt tranny in her at the beginning of next week. Good thing it went where it did. It couldn't have happened at a better place or time, the truck was supposed to go out of town on a road trip next week.

Back