How'd it go today?

Still got six days left of this bat tree nonsense. Boss has 3 crews hitting them hard. Two crews doing the stuff out in the woods and guess who gets to deal with the populated areas. Removed 3 tall and wide shagbark hickory today all between sheds and fences. Left another note for one of the residents to park off of the ROW so we can remove the brush from the back yard. Note from yesterday was crumpled up laying next to his truck this morning. I might have to get the sheriff to stop by when I call a wrecker. Any how I forgot how damn hard and heavy hickory is.

Damn, Treebilly, rough stretch you are in but keep fighting the good fight!

Are you and Tucker working on the same project, just in different areas? Or 2 unrelated projects, but both involving bat trees.

Different projects. Sounds like he's doing a new pipeline ROW. The one I'm on is for a line replacement. Last year I was given an inspector from the gas company and he would deal with the public when need be. I did a few of those new line clears a couple years ago and it was balls out; go go go. If you don't get done by the deadline the project is basically stalled for a year and ussually a stiff penalty from payment.
We're in good shape on them this year. My crew has 6 trees left. 2 where I'm at now 3 in Cleveland which I've looked at and was waiting on the permits and one an hour south in another city which I'm looking at tomorrow after I finish up.
Six more days and it's back to normal.

Well, it has come to my attention that I might watch too much British TV. I tend to pick up words and phrases easily, I guess also from talking to my Kiwi father in law, less so from my Kiwi wife. She has been here for 10 years and is pretty Americanized.

Richard boy was leaning out the window of the pickup this morning while my wife was ear tagging a calf. He had a stick with a flag on it that is designed to scare away the cow. Sounds helpful, right?

Well Richard boy decided that was not enough and he hollered "piss off" to the cow. He is three, I guess I should be proud that he used it in context.

We got a case of " Spotted owl syndrome" today.
Had a huge, hazard beech to neutralize for the State Forest.
As we shot a line up, an owl flew out of one of the cavities.
So it was cancelled, owls being a protected species, and furthermore having youngs this time of the year.
They paid us for our time, anyway.

That was Martin's last day with us, before starting at the Police academy.
We poarted on the best of terms, he had made us a huge basket of goodies, and we gave him a MS441.
Didn't want to send him out in the world without a saw.

I'll miss that guy.
Of all the 20+ apprentices I've had. he was by far the best tree faller.
Such a natural.
( Of course having a gifted teacher helped, too:lol:)

Well, it has come to my attention that I might watch too much British TV. I tend to pick up words and phrases easily, I guess also from talking to my Kiwi father in law, less so from my Kiwi wife. She has been here for 10 years and is pretty Americanized.

Richard boy was leaning out the window of the pickup this morning while my wife was ear tagging a calf. He had a stick with a flag on it that is designed to scare away the cow. Sounds helpful, right?

Well Richard boy decided that was not enough and he hollered "piss off" to the cow. He is three, I guess I should be proud that he used it in context.
Warms my heart. It must be remembered that "Piss off" is not as rude as other combinations. There is a very precise scale on swear words and that is category A (barely offensive)

Well after a lean spell work wise, I am now back at it.

I forgot how hard it is putting a gallon Plus through a 440 every day :)

(Sorry crappy pics)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 53
Moved Wood & chips around w/mini for several hours doing clean-up I didn't get to last Fall. Place looks much better now.:)

Dropped a truck & trailer load of wood off to a buddy to burn, then picked up stump teeth from sharpening place.

Picked up a few groceries...getting ready for another week up North with the stump grinder.

Fugged shat up...
Previous topped and rotting away (chunks coming out of stems when you pushed off) so had to watch feet. HO wanted to just keep the 1/2 away from the roof so he can play mechanic under it for a while longer. :|:
The missing leader in this pic followed the zip line out over that tin roof and about touched the ground... 20150325_125014.jpg
TADAH! :P 20150325_143144ed.jpg
Fugit &forgehtaboudit :hammer::banghead:

Pete...glad to hear there is some work, but it is truth you tell, long days with a saw will hurt for a while. Be careful, don't get hurt, and give my best to Bear and Jo.

Stig, I know you'll miss having Martin on your team. I hope he understands how miserable police work is, and how rare the chance to do the sort of woods work you offered him. Sad. I'll be amazed if he doesn't eventually regret this day.

I frigging love it!!!

attachment.php

Can't wait to see it in ten years! :beer:

No worries about damage from that tree.

Plus, it gets to live and thrive... offer some shade!

Back