How'd it go today?

Hell yah. Often over beers or at the end of the week, myself and my employee who's a fantastic climber and cutter ponder over the awesomeness of Jerry's poster.

Don't worry boys... we got this.. Have rope ... will get er done. ;)
IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0336.jpg

:lol:

Trees on roads everywhere... Power lines keep getting hit... This is the E call we get :lol:
Hour job with travel LOL

Got some vegetables out of the deal for a tip. Got our minimum and a good country breakfast :)
Saw one of our competitors pretty much doing the same thing next door to this one..
The little blue oak is one I had pulled vines out of and pruned prior to that new roof going up. The pine was up through it as well and the HO opted at the time to just tie it up to the oak until he decided whether to remove it or not. All he had at the time was some Home Depot special and just wanted me to use it.. I warned him! :lol:

Finished brushing out this double leader maple, 30" and 32" split at ground level. Arbor Trolley and modified hand truck make all the brush fit in to two big piles for the grapple truck. My chip truck has a leak, ATM. Moved about two cords of smaller wood already. The 4-5 spar leads will have 3 cords I'd guess. Grapple truck and away it goes next week.

Erik is out of town at a funeral. New John worked the ground. Trial by Fire.

Scared the shed, fence repeatedly, and house! Close only counts... ;).

We probably have a day and half for him and I into it. I almost used the double braid 9/16 and a block, but did it all with 1/2" three-strand and NC. Most were crash land, just holding them back from the fence. I burned into the wood pretty well with one big rig. After all the wraps were off the POW, it was hung by the rope in the groove. That rope has had a rough life, and is getting cut-up.

I was actually a bit nervous rigging the last piece, just because of the cavities in the tree, and decay below, but the crash landing was taking a lot of the hit. I never would have tried to hang that whole lead, regardless of rope. Made for an exciting day.

My 64 yo friend with the kboom grapple truck got a new smartphone from his wife. Dan is an old white republican Vietnam vet. I am far from it. We get along well, though, for being so different. Buffer each other a bit.

I couldn't lay my hands on my camera for Dan to take pictures, but Dan had his smartphone when he stopped by to check out truck access, and to watch some airmailing. He offered to take pictures and to have his wife (15 years his junior) email them. I told him I'd show him how, right from the phone. I showed him the front facing camera, which he didn't know about. I started razzing him that I was going to teach him how to email a selfie. Hahaha. He was so against the phone at first (which I can understand). I asked him how he felt about the internet initially. He didn't need it. Buys ammo and sends me right wing propaganda forwarded emails online now. Loves Ebay. Haha. Fun to get a old guy up on these things. I'm waiting to see him next time to see if he has selfie's with his wife or something. Funny to me at least.

Haha I've had to go to my dad's house a few times now for his broken tv, which is usually just off source or the cable box is off lol but I give my mom credit because she has taught herself how to turn on a computer and now has her own Facebook page

Aw, give the old bloke a break all this new fangled stuff isn't easy you know.

Raining yesterday and today and my cable dropped out for a while last night so I thought I'd renew my backup, bit expensive so I looked around and found a good deal. .05c a MB + sim $5.

Pretty good, but I needed a dongle that takes a sim card. After a while I found a good deal on ebay, then one like my old one popped up for $15.:saywhat:

Had a look at mine, dug around and found the manual.#-o I thought it was a sealed unit, just have to turn the light on and see the sim holder pulls out. So much for saturday afternoon.

$_35.JPG

Had some business in Tokyo, one day up and back by super express train. What a place, Disneyland has nothing on it, nor Hefner's mansion.

I pruned a linden alley ( a short one!) and then took the bike to the other end of the island to bid on a job.
Nice going up there, but on the way back a frosty mist had come down and I was wearing an open helmet.........chilly.
Logging season is winding down and I have time to do other stuff.
Yesterday I pruned 3 apple trees, hardly seemed like work, after logging.
Handsaw and secateurs, the silence was golden after months of listening to 4 saws screaming.:)

Stig, I thought saws were pretty quiet after I drove our skidder for a day.:lol:

Checked out & signed a new job with the Boss this morning; another dozen or so Walnuts. I'll have to top a few of them.

This afternoon, started a job about the same size. Topped a couple trees over service wire and wind came up, blowing snow, temp dropping so called it a day around 5;30.

New guy was working on ground for me and he's the best help I've had form this group yet. the other guys say he's just a dumb firewood guy, but he outworks the rest of them, pays attention always, learns a knot in a try or two, and never messed up running ropes once (he seems to be a natural at letting a piece run just how it should). Best thing about him is he wants to learn, strives hard to get things done the way we want, and is a team player. Hope he sticks around a while (probably will as I pretty much have choice of who I want to work with).

Strange occurrence on the way home from the shop, around 6:30, pitch dark outside. Driving down a narrow road between some fields when a car approaching from the other direction suddenly swerves towards me. Have to slam on the brakes and veer to the left, I almost roll off the edge into a rice field. The car that nearly hit me, slowly keeps going, and I can see in my lights why they swerved, there appears a child standing out there along the edge of the road. No sidewalks or street lights. I roll up to her, roll down the window and ask her what she is doing there. No answer. She looks like about five or six, wearing a pink sort of jump suit, no jacket, and it is quite cold out. I ask her if she is alright, she says she is. I ask her again, same reply said confidently. There are some houses around, but not so immediate vicinity, and slightly down a side road. I roll off a ways, perhaps a hundred yards, then hang a u and go back. Really dangerous to be out there on the road when so dark, plus the oddity to see at that hour, someone so young appearing alone. No sign of her after much scanning the area the best I can with my lights. I turn around and head off again, but it still is bothering me, so I go back again with the same results. She could have made it to the nearest house by then. As before and when I first saw her, no other activity noted, no other people. I contemplate stopping in at the closest house, but decide not to and go home. An unknown foreigner on a sparsely populated road suddenly stopping in at night, people can freak. I dunno, I might ask around there tomorrow in the daylight. Someone isn't minding their child? Probably not much to it, but still it has me wondering.

Wow, that would be a difficult decision around here with all the predator phobia and rampant unwarranted prosecutions now-a-days. Do you stop and possibly help a child or get accused of trying to abscond with her?

hope she made it back home safely.

She was a GHOST!

This morning I stopped in at the likeliest possible houses where the little girl might have lived. The people there said no kids. Then went farther down the road to enquire, no young children in the area I was told. Hard to figure where she might have come from, people scratched their heads. Tonight, heading home on the same road, 30 minutes later, a car had run off the bank and was hanging off into the rice field. They were waiting for help, another car had pulled up, and it was the exact same spot where the child was standing the previous night, I mean precisely the same place. A long stretch of straight road, hard to figure why someone would drive off the edge. I didn't enquire. Some years back a most unfortunate incident where a girl in the first grade was killed by a car at the intersection, the same stretch, close to that area of the road. I don't normally much believe in the paranormal, but this was rather strange. Now a mystery spot. If I see her out there again should I stop? A lonely dark section of road....no reply if asked where she lives, but she does say that she is alright.....

Back