How'd it go today?

TIP CINCH TRICK

FWIW, I thought I share a little trick I learned from Cody:

Did some hazard deadwooding in some tall oaks along a private lane, yesterday. Had to to move the TIP several times. So, used a trick I learned from one of Cody's (Tarzan) videos (link).

The first picture shows his TIP - a screen shot from the vid (5:23). He's using an pear screw link to cinch to the bole. But, the interesting part is that he's got a cut-off box wrench captive in the link. That way, it's always available if the TIP needs to be moved. COOL IDEA!

The second picture shows what I used to use. I learned that trick from Dave (DMc). He and I carried a cut-off open-end wrench, which can be seen hanging on his shoulder strap. It too, was always available but would get in the way sometimes. It looks like Dave is using a Q-link.

The third picture shows what I'm using now, based on Cody's idea. It's a delta screw link with a captive cut-off box wrench. The captive box wrench makes it faster and easier when you know you'll have to move the TIP often.

Anyway, I like it!!! Thanks, Cody ... KUDOS! :D

Attachments

• DMc Q-link Cinch & Wrench.jpg
    DMc Q-link Cinch & Wrench.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Q-link Wrench.png
    Q-link Wrench.png
    856.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Delta Cinch & Wrench.jpg
    Delta Cinch & Wrench.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
Nothing spectacular so far .Mowed the lawn,trimmed the trees going down the driveway which is done 2-3 times a year .Set the brush pile afire.

Is the box wrench set-up moved with a hollow pole?

Sorry Sean, I'm not sure what you're asking. So, I'll describe why Cody's trick is so useful to me. I can't always set the best TIP from the ground, especially in a large spreading canopy. So, I'll climb to whatever TIP I can get while doing some work on the way. When I reach it, I'll lanyard in, unscrew the link with the captive wrench and remove the cinch. Then, I'll alternate lanyard to a higher or better TIP and re-cinch. Using a link means I don't have to untie the knot and yard up the tail of the rope when I move the TIP, or re-tie. SRT redi's don't always get it done. Having a simple way to reset a TIP while aloft is useful. Sometimes, in a wide old trees, I might move the TIP a few times to keep safe work angles. When that's in the work plan, I might attach the throwline eye to the link as a pull-down. Then, the throwline pull-down can be used throw to a new TIP. And, having an 'independent' pull-down makes moving the TIP even easier. All made possible by the link. And, Cody's wrench trick makes a tightened secure link more manageable while aloft.

I hope that's not clear as mud. :)

The part I don't get is why you are using the link in the first place.
Wouldn't a steel carabiner be faster?

Good question, Stig. I, for one, am concerned about a remote cinched 'biner getting cross loaded ... or the gate loaded incorrectly. I'm sure others worry about that eventuality, too. Tightened secure links seem a lot safer in remote life line applications ... IMO.

I do worry about crossloading/incorrect gate loading.
Hence the steel carabiner.

We are all slightly paranoid about different scenarios, I think.
Which is why I don't use aly rings on my friction savers:)

Agreed about the aly rings. Yeah, you're right. Steel 'biners are probably fine. Worry is a harsh demon. Dave got me worrying about the links. I use to just make them finger tight until he started me on the wrench thing.

I forget who got me worrying about remote 'biners. :roll:

Damn it's muggy .High of 92 today with 52 percent humidity ,90 as I type .

I did manage to get in a tree today ,not too high and not too long though .Left over storm damage from the last big wind we had a month or so ago I couldn't reach with the pole saw .200T with new seals and bearings ran like a charm .

Jack, I always use a steel biner, dont see how my body weight is going to break that even if it is side loaded. What I really want is a remote control rope snap....... Somebody please make it so I dont have to......

I think people WAY underestimate the strength of steel biners at a variety of angles. Im not talking about rigging, I'm talking climbing. A person will tie in on 3-4" wood and then get worried about the danger of.a steel biner loaded a certain way???:?

Quick TD today all left on site. Then off to the lumber yard for new deck supplies. Get a call from my partner asking about dump trailer wiring. He had to pull the battery and now it makes the positive wire smoking hot.? Any one still near one would you please shoot a picture its elect. over hyd.

Joel, sounds like he has a dead short somewhere. I'm no electrician but maybe you can find a good trailer shop to check the wiring for you. I recently had a couple different issues with my trailer wiring and just had the shop rewire it from head to toe rather than trying to trace down and patch 3 different problems.

You get into 12 volt wiring it can become a monumental pain in the azz .It takes next to nothing as a far as a high resistance ground or just one junction point developing a bad connection to keep you looking for hours until you find it .I dispise it with a passion .

Oh, so the cut-off wrench is actually used for wrenching on the link. So obvious. I missed that part. I thought it was used in some way to loosen the cinched rope by sticking a hollow, extension pole around the wrench and pushing the loop loose, and advancing it up a trunk.

Climbed a poinciana to take off one limb, pruned some other bits, cut down an old grapefruit tree, cut three big dead limbs outta some baygrapes, was told 'we stop at 11:00 for coffee'...served coffee and cakes and ice water outside in the garden patio by the housekeeper, then on up the white cedar for some thinning and deadwooding, HO, daughter and housekeeper all hauling branches...wait a bit for the trucker, load up, chop it all down in the bed with a 260...off the property by 2:00 with a nice cheque in my pocket! Fun day!

Daughter has a small biz doing gardening, not afraid to work and sweat...asked her if she want a hustle, might have got myself a new groundie...:)

Ya, that was yesterday...today I was on the beach by 10...swam out across the seagrass, saw a spotted sand eel, then over to some small islands, loads of parrotfish grazing then back to the beach, soak up some rays..sigh, the weekend recovery is so tough.

Swells will probably start to kick in by Monday from hurricane Louise...beautiful calm sunny conditions just now though.

Yeah, I wish I had a camera with me, this beach is where the old NASA tracking staion was, drop dead beautiful and because you have to walk out (fairly new national park, low impact passive recreation only) there aren't that many people there.

Keeps my sanity working in the heat knowing I can hit the beach after work.

Back