How'd it go today?

Thanks. I think one of the main qualities in Mahogany that makes such a hard wood easy to work, is that the grain is so homogenous consistency. You don't get variations from harder and softer between the growth rings and between. I don't know if that is noticeable when cutting Mahogany trees.

I can only assume there might be several species of mahogany as well as growing conditions .

Like for instance our native oaks if grown in confinement have nice tall straight trunks .However with no competition for sunlight spread out with big wide canopies that can cover an in town building lot .The former produce excellant lumber and the later are only good for firewood more or less .

Same with mohogany Al, if grown in clusters they tend to be straight and tall competing for light. Giving straight beautiful trunks. Most mahogany grown for furniture would be in stands.

I've never worked with mahogany and have only seen it on old classic pianos .

Cherry you need real sharp tooling because it cross grain burns real easily if not .Fact cherry has been termed Americas' mahogany .I've got around 800 Bd feet of rough sawn air dried ,beautifull stuff .

Poured rain today. They sent a lawn jockey with us since no one is paying for fert right now. I yelled STOP as he walked under the tree that duane was blowing the top out of (notched back cut and being pushed).... He starts screaming what do I want, I say "stop moving, go back", and explain to look up (the millionth time, he has come out with us a lot lately) . He yells at me that he is tired of my shat and not gonna let me yell at him anymore!

I told him that if he didnt realize that I was trying to save his life he was a moron and that he could take his attitude towards me and shove it up his bum! I f he doesnt want to get with the look up and dont die program he is going to have to find a new place to work or find himself very under-emploed until lawns pick up. Its a favor to him from me and duane who have to babysit him, and the territory manager who is basically paying him to do nothing so he can get hours in.

All he does is complain and purposely not follow directions. The NERVE!

Had a good day dropping leaning oaks and cleaning up a property. Came home to a call from another tree service that has dismissed his crew and is working solo. Meet with him tomorrow to estimate some sub work on a clean up and possibly help with some rigging. See how it goes. Might turn into some good business. Guy wants to retire. Maybe I can help ;)
See how he works (may past experience says.. old school and lacking for a better way).
Still working through legal crap. Did some more foot work this afternoon on the way home and I have some lawyer appointments to line up before one court case. Should be a ball of fun. :roll:

I killed a giant water oak at a cemetary, huge roping, I love it. Nothing line a 3/4" like for the big stuff.

It was kinda hot, though.

I take it you had a good rope man?

Use a pulley or bare crotch for the 3/4"?

Now that's a scenario I've never done and don't understand. If you're going to bring in a crane then why do all that work brushing it out manually? If it's a crane tree then crane it out. You can spend a day brushing it out and 2 hours craning out the wood or crane out the whole tree in 4. Most of the time the logistics simply don't make sense to split it into two days.

Crap start to the day. Yard was raided by local scum who stole about $1000 plus of diesel from the trucks. Crime is increasing all around as people get poorer in the recession. Aint gonna change any time soon :(

Nick, it seems like you are dealing with an immaturity issue with the lawn guy. I can't be optimistic about improvement, I'm afraid.

Damn, sorry to hear Pete. Thieves suck!

Bad day here, late start because of rain. First job was clearing honey suckle and a roof line, guy was real particular about the roof line tho, didn't want anything at all over his roof. After that, we just had one small job left, or so Dad said. He was like its a small 10" tree in a backyard, no biggie, should go quick. So me and our full time guy show up and turns out its at the bottom end of a steep hill, dog crap everywhere, tangled in the phone and cable wires, closer to 12 or 13 inches and maybe 25 or 30 ft high. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant job, took us almost 2 hours. Everything had to be cut up to fit through the small 36" gate at the top of the hill.

Had an awesome day today. My uncle that taught me the business is here visiting for a few days. He asked me to pick something ugly on my stack of jobs for him. So I did. A monster ash that everthing had to be lowered. I figures that I would kick that tree in about 6 hours on the gaffs and be delighted. It was a high dollar tree that other guys put brutal numbers on to avoid getting the job. My uncle had it slammed in 2 hours and 57 minutes. Good day.

Back