How'd it go today?

Taking a break from the siding job for an hour or so, man it's miserable out there! 90 with 70% humidity and climbing in temp. I was getting nausea's and light headed, time to shut down!
It's taking forever, we had to completely rebuild the chimney, and it's killing me working through the pain, but he had most of my siding dropped off yesterday, about $1k in Hardi board, so he's certainly keeping his end of the deal! I just have to suck it up a while longer.

Ground another 11 stumps here at the house, had one more broken bolt/tooth. Guess it's time to go tempt fate and see if I can grind some for profit.

Rain today, bleh, pissing down this morning. Bid a job, brought my buddy to look at another, went to BJ's and got some snacks for the weekend. I'm headed here again this weekend, tradition for the last 3 years. Broome Tiago race track in NY. Just open practice saturday/sunday/food and fun.

Attachments

• Broome 002.JPG
    Broome 002.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 2
Replaced the radiator in the bucket truck today. About had a stroke from the heat and humidity.

Last week, I had the annual inspection and dielectric test done and passed. A former employee of AL of CT has started his own inspection and mobile repair service.

Did some nice canopy raises for a cool customer, my groundie's neighbor. Installed a Cobra cable in a twin top cedar.

Saw some long vertical black seams on a 22" western hemlock, looked at some other hemlock stumps on the property and saw root and butt disease signs.
Installed a rope and some wedges as it was backleaning toward the house. 3" Rind of clean wood, 1.5" of incipient decay, and the rest mushy, dark wood.

Also, dropped a few alders.

Some more canopy raised on some good sized fir.

Might have a few fir to look forward to removing for a road through the property.

Greenbacks and a 5% tip!

Fiddler, those baby spruce can be farms for spider mites, they MIGHT recover if the mites can be removed but they are usually pretty toasted if the needles are cast and the underlying branches are dry and crispy.

Paul, mites and the like were my first thought but didn't see anything while looking them over by eye. I have to go back past there today and will look again with a magnifying glass and try shaking a branch or two over a piece of paper to see if any mites might drop off.

Only two of the three trees are affected. the third is in great shape as well as the Japanese maple that was transported with them and planted at the same time.

lifted crown on two box elders and a red maple, checked out the ornamentals on the other job and sure enough red mites and some smaller black/brown insects were visible under magnifying glass on piece of paper when branches were shook over it. Guess I should have worn my glasses the first time...:|:

time for a little nap, then off to play fiddle at a dock party out near Lake Michigan.

Removed 2 pines and a Riverbirch covered in vines. Was overheated after that. Thank goodness for the folks who left their trucks parked under the last oak tree. Called it a day. Installing air bags on the new 250 in the shade after lunch.

Just finished mowing the "golf course". Had a flat on the little tractor; fixed it with Slime. Getting ready shortly to take the family out to dinner; maybe we'll actually get there this time. :dur:

Spent the day cleaning out my work truck, though it hardly needed it at all.....it amazes me how much stuff I can fit in the thing and still have room for a passenger now and again....though Carl complains about stuff gouging him in the side. (Carl, I told you there was a water bottle behind the seat....actually I found eleven of them, they were just under everything else.) :D

Went to wash it and paint started blowing off the hood. Always something....anywho, it's clean again and maybe I can find what I'm looking for next time I need something.

Just finished a three day stint down in the lower elevations. Buildings and future buildings are all cut around as well as the white vinyl fence out on the road front. About 1000 feet of it that got burned once when a car went through it and caught the field on fire. Then dropped a 30" DBH 80 foot very dead gray pine and bucked it up. HO was happy and impressed. Slid it right in the middle of few trees so no damage to surrounding trees. Ended up she gave me an FS80something in excellent condition set up with handlebars. Not great displacement for what we do, but certainly could be used around the house by Seth. I think he is going to be quite excited when he sees it. :)
HO bought a rechargeable unit to edge her lawns with. Told me, since she was retiring the weed eater, I could have it. I told her to let me know and please think of me when they retire the two Kubota tractors they have as well... :lol:

I did a couple of bids and mailed some invoices. I finally finished that locust bowl. I think it has a devil in it.

Attachments

• Photo795.jpg
    Photo795.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2
I'll have to go take one. It turned out really good but I think I used about $20 in sandpaper. Here ya go. This is not any of your locust Stephen. That is still sitting in the barn. I showed this bowl to Jesse when he was at my house, it was on the lathe. I would sand on it whenever my frustration level could tolerate it.

Attachments

• Photo796.jpg
    Photo796.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Photo797.jpg
    Photo797.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
I am planning on giving it to my daughter in Petaluma. I just saw the "devil" in the grain last night. Kind of freaked me out. I'm over it now, my daughter thinks it looks like a rabbit.

Back