how to charge for hours worked?

Yup.

Seeing as Willard is apparently totally oblivious to the reason for all this.

Of course there is always the ignore function.

Just goes to show how the mind works of old acid heads from the 3 of the last 4 posters. I sure wouldn't want them around my wife and kids.

How about you ole Burnham did you do acid too?:/:

Steve Jobs, futurist, visionary, design aesthete, old acid user – and as his biographers describe, first and foremost a family man. Doesn't seem all that bad for a guy whose intellect turned into a monumental industry for the world, really. Stated that using LSD was one of the two or three most important things that he ever did in his life.

Skinny runt eh? It's true I've lost a lot of weight since I started running and biking and dropped a lot of the weightlifting. At 88kgs (192lbs) I'm fitter and faster than I've been in a long time. Obviously, I'll never be as awesome as Willard. Nobody can be.

In fact, what I've noticed is that Nobody on this forum is as Awesome as Willard. No matter whats posted, He will come back with something thats bigger, better faster, fitter, smarter or just more. Never an opportunity is passed up to demonstrate his superiority in business or life. His systems and methods are better than anybody else's. His choice of partners. His choice of vehicles. Always better.

Anybody who disagrees, is instantly insulted, usually with accusations of alcohol or substance abuse impairing their judgement, whilst his judgement is always impeccable.

All of this points to deep seated insecurities within the psyche. underneath all the boasting, there is probably anxiety at how his peers will see him being supported by his spouse. That he obviously has personality traits that prevent him from keeping employees. Most likely explanation would be a Type 2 personality disorder, at a guess Narcissistic Personality disorder (NPD)

"Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder[1] in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process."

Like most NPD sufferers, they only way they can feel good about themselves is by putting others down. Willards posting definitely reflects this.

Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR, include:[1]

Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments
Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others
Envies others and believes others envy him/her
Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success, enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence
Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others
Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior
Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

So I'll carry on being 'skinny'. I'm quite happy being skinny and unable to be a solo arborist.

Ok, I'm responding to this post after having just read it, with another five pages of posts still to read after it. Just to explain why my post is probably out of sequence with the flow of the thread.

Ed, this was just an outstanding, really educational post. I'm staying out of the middle of the squabble, I just wanted to say how impressed I was by the thought process and clarity of speech you displayed here.

Also, congratulations on achieving such a high level of fitness and endurance. At 192 pounds of lean body mass, I suspect you are a real ass kicker.

Thanks for your posts; I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Tim

P.S. It's funny. I was expecting my post to be way out of synch with the current state of the thread, but instead it seems to fit right in.

:lol:

Last edited:
Hope so for sure, in my time here I've come to know a great giving, truly professional bunch of folks for which I'm grateful for. Comments and discussions here have both made me a better climber and business savy. So this tread really caught my eye as looking at a bottom line and seeing and feeling like I could be doing it better. Thanks to all. Growing a business takes alot of work it also requires a confidence in knowing your market. Never learned overnight IMHO.

No.

Just goes to show how the mind works of old acid heads from the 3 of the last 4 posters. I sure wouldn't want them around my wife and kids.

How about you ole Burnham did you do acid too?:/:

WTF?? Butch, I should let this sort of crap just go, you think?

What are the factors that (a bid) should be based on?

Arborist learning the ropes

Last edited by a moderator:
Work out your overheads, truck insurance, tyres, chipper costs, diesel, petrol,workers comp or whatever you have over there, then your requirements to live, food, rent, beer, children's apparel, then don't forget PROFIT! Which is why you started on your own in the first place.
Or the easier way is to find out what others charge.

Figure out how many hours it takes from the time you will arrive till you'll leave and multiply by your hourly rate. If something is risky, add on a bit for liability.

Your "hourly rate" may be just a figure in your head to go by as you probably don't want to throw out $125hr at your customer.
Bidding or estimating a job with a one price is dependent on things like Mick and Willie just mentioned.

Always keep track of your daily hours and what you get paid in that day divide your total hours with what you pay is. That "hourly figure" now in your head should guide you in the future. Over time inflation should be accounted for to raise it later. As once I was happy with $150hr Now I need $200hr.working solo.
Won't take long and you'll know what to expect and what not to expect in the time it takes you to finish your jobs and how much your going to make by the hour.

But of course there'll be the days you'll have to fix the customers broken clothes line or bad wind will come up and now your only making $35hr.
Take the good with the bad as the gravy train days where alot more is made for alot less hours then estimated will account for those losses.
At year end total your hours and divide that into your gross pay.........now you have to check your net and bottom end.

Back