Homeowner Boo Boo

Limbrat

TreeHouser
HO called me this morning said he had started to cut a tree behind his house yesterday but stayed in a motel last night cuz he was scared it was going to fall on the house (mobile home) and now he didn't know what to do. He said it was a 90' dead pine and he had a chain and a come-along on it and still had about three inches of hinge wood intact. He was right about the height, but he had cut all the way through the hinge, the back cut was closed and it had about four feet of back-lean over the trailer. The only thing keeping the tree from making his home a double-wide was a $12 cable come-along and the good Lord. To make matters worse, it was on the edge of of beaver pond and the only thing to pull to was a couple of dead pines a hundred feet or so out in the pond. With all the underbrush, I couldn't get a throw line in the tree and it was sixty feet to the first limb. I got 2 bull ropes, pushed running bowlines up about 40' with an extendo stick, got my chest waders on and waded out, rigged two hoists and jacked it over. Man, what a splash! Could'a been a big crunch. I should've taken pictures.

That, for sure, needed some pictures taken...good description, though, so we'll let you off this time.:D

I have a neighbor from Bosnia, named Mejo (May-ho). I have done some tree work for him...first job I did was taking out a limb he had been trying to cut from a ladder. I had been watching that ladder for a few days wondering whazzup. When I finally stopped to ask (didn't know him then) and he explained I offered to do the job for $100. I set a line up higher so I could be tied off and get rid of that ladder. I dropped the limb, all was well. Then I went up to my TIP and found some scoring cuts in the bark that I could not cipher. When I got down and asked him (via pantomime, he no speaky US, I no speaky Bosnian) I realized he was using one of those chainsaw chains with cord on each end and trying to drop a high limb (my TIP) from the ground. It never crossed my mind before that to wonder if a homeowner might have compromised a tree, not think to tell us (climbers) and it not be visible from the ground.

That was an eye opener for me...expect ANYTHING. I do have pictures of all that but can't find them now...will eventually find and post.

Sometime after the limb/TIP debacle, Mejo flagged me down as I drove by. He and two other Bosnian/Serb friends (they all look like mercenary soldiers! but very friendly...in a menacing sort of way:/:) had started cutting down a dead poplar by Mejo's house. They were afraid to make the back cut...they made a fine face cut. Mejo offered me $100 to make the back cut. I was a bit spooked by the lean, feared a barber chair. I strapped it made the cut and was the hero...or maybe the foolish Amerikaner to those guys! :lol:

I didn't take his money but did get some other tree jobs from him after that...and from his mercenary friends, too.

BTW...all those posts you see for the fence Mejo chainsawed from a big oak I took down for him...a very patient and skilled fellow. He does not waste ANYTHING.

Attachments

• IMG_2014 (2).JPG
    IMG_2014 (2).JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2015 (2).JPG
    IMG_2015 (2).JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2016 (2).JPG
    IMG_2016 (2).JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2017 (2).JPG
    IMG_2017 (2).JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2018 (2).JPG
    IMG_2018 (2).JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 166
"...With all the underbrush, I couldn't get a throwline up..."

Do you have a Bigshot? No need to swing anything at ground level...worth every penny they are.

Nah, he's past his prime...but Bajro and another dude have a sinister look about them...but what do I know...they are probably Sunday school teachers.

"...With all the underbrush, I couldn't get a throwline up..."

Do you have a Bigshot? No need to swing anything at ground level...worth every penny they are.

I've been in some spots where the brush was so bad even a Bigshot was trouble...brush too high to work with. Guess I could have cleared out a hole with a chainsaw like they do for helicopters.

That must have been before you learned to borecut headleaners, Gary?

That must have been before you learned to borecut headleaners, Gary?

Exactly, Stig...good observation. When I look at those pictures now and think "how would I do it now" I see a bore cut with a backstrap to release the beast.

I'm all about doing things for myself but you have to know your limits. years ago when I was just a little tike, My pops tried to take down a 120 ' red oak in front of the house using a laundry line tied way to low to pull it with and a small dull chainsaw that was not ready for the task at hand. oh and obviously a complete lack of skill.(sorry dad, it's the truth) the tree caught some wind and sat back on the back cut. thank god a old student of my dads was a tree climber, came out with his crew and handled the situation. pro bono too. apparently my dad made quite an impact on the guy years ago. better teacher than he was a feller!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Limbrat, Welcome to The Tree House, you saved his bacon! That’s gotta feel good, are you interested in any other thoughts?
Thanks Merle, I'm Ray. Everybody loves being the hero. I know the gentleman personally and I'm glad it all turned out for the best. I hung out at one of the other sites for a while but you guys are the best, very hospitable, encouraging and not only very knowledgable, but very willing to share that knowledge without trying to humiliate those asking the questions. I am very impressed. Glad to see the TREESTUFF sponsorship. Those folks are great!!!

Exactly, Stig...good observation. When I look at those pictures now and think "how would I do it now" I see a bore cut with a backstrap to release the beast.

Now that is mighty pleasing to the saint of borecutters;)

I like Gary’s picture with yellow winch strap as a visual reminder of the idea to stabilize the stem of a heavy leaner. Stig would you ever add that in to control a stem from possibly splitting as well as using the bore cut? And by “backstrap to release” are you referring to coming out of the bore cut and finishing from the outside as opposed to just cutting straight out the back?

Good question, Merle. I was ambiguous there on purpose to see what folks might say. I have seen it argued to cut the strap from the inside out and alternatively to cut the strap from the outside.

I'd like to hear folks' input again. As I remember it, Burnham made a case for cutting from the outside to release the tree.

Heavy leaners I trip from the outside and slightly below the back cut. Less chance of watching your saw fly through the air cause the roots pulled.

I trip from the outside, but being Euro trained bring the release cut down at an angle to meet the back cut...kinda goes along with short bars...:/:

Howdy,

I've been a contract timber faller in Oregon for the past 12 years. Dad cut timber before me.

On really heavy leaners with lots of head lean that we are worried about barber chairing we sometimes strap em. This is what you all are calling a bore cut. Make a face (lots here call it a notch), bore in behind the holding wood (hinge) and then cut out towards the back leaving a strap. Final step is cutting from the outside in, level with the bore cut, and below it. This takes some learning to get perfect. Don't cut too much of your holding wood or you will be pinched, but make sure to cut enough. We generally only used it on old growth with lots of head lean that there was no way the saw was going to keep up with the tree once it started to fall. Generally with smaller trees, a good saw, and sharp chain, I don't find this cut to be needed.

Hi Gypo, welcome here. My name is Jay. Nipping away at the holding strap from outside below until it pops is what I have learned too, don't be socking your saw into the back.

Don't cut too much of your holding wood or you will be pinched, but make sure to cut enough.

I understand it all but that line....what does that mean? Is "holding wood" the hinge or the back strap that is holding the tree from falling until you cut it?

Back