Hitchclimber pulley...likin' it!

Bermy, if you want to improve on it even more, switch to a VT instead of the distel. The VT selftends much better, especially in connection with the hichclimber. It takes a little experimenting with the length of the ends of the VT ( termination points,or what do you call them? a little help please, from one of you english speakers!!)
to get the knot to work just right for you, but it is well worth the effort.

When you terminate your rope with a knot and use a hitchclimber, make the bight in the knot so long that the knot itself is placed a good bit above your friction hitch. Otherwise the knot may lay against the hitch and cause it to slip and scare the heck out of you. .

Last edited:
Glad you like it.

I bought the Mickey Mouse Petzl and decided against it. Ropes ended up being to close together, and I am loving the setup I stole off Tophopper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bermy, if you want to improve on it even more, switch to a VT instead of the distel. The VT selftends much better, especially in connection with the hichclimber. It takes a little experimenting with the length of the ends of the VT ( termination points,or what do you call them? a little help please, from one of you english speakers!!)
to get the knot to work just right for you, but it is well worth the effort.

When you terminate your rope with a knot and use a hitchclimber, make the bight in the knot so long that the knot itself is placed a good bit above your friction hitch. Otherwise the knot may lay against the hitch and cause it to slip and scare the heck out of you. .

Well, until I get a new rope, I'll have to deal with my knot for now, it's been a long time since I spliced braided rope so I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do it on my climb line!
So far the fisherman's is just low enough not to hit the top of my hitch, the bowline got ditched as it was way too bulky.
Don't worry, I'm keeping a close eye on everything till I get it right...I'll experiment with the VT at some point too.

You know, a good way to get the VT to set further away from you and past any termination knot is to have 3 crosses in the VT. I weigh about 180 and I usually tie a 3 wrap over 3 crosses VT. The VT doesn't hold open as bad with 3 crosses either.

I've been trying to get my VT to hold open, it seems to bind more than ever.

I must be tieing it wrong.

I find the knut allows tend slacking with gravity easy as pie.

Hey you slack tender folks, when you need to body thrust up a lil, you reach above your hitch and pull down, right? But then isn't it hard to take up the slack you have gained? Holding on with one hand?

The old school non slack tender way is of course to reach up to your hitch and grab underneath it and pull down and then push the hitch up. It's easy to hold the slack with one hand cuz it's wrapped once around your hand, providing lots of grip. I wanna join the tender crowd but have tried it and cant get comfortable with it. Advice?

I know a bunch of people who love the knut. I never got into it though... It seems like it would be a great one once your cord got a little memory in it.

I would quit wrapping your rope around your hand before you take up slack in the way that you're climbing now. Taking that wrap around your hand really slows the process down, and after a short while, you'll get used to just holding onto the rope.

The slack tenders really rock when coming back in on a horizontal limb, and at that point, you're not really holding all your weight. You're just using your rope for balance with the one hand, and pulling out the slack with the other. It takes time. I loved the blake's for a very long time.

OK I just found this set up vid on the hitch climber set up... Friggen Sweet!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydt-hUT6aGE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydt-hUT6aGE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yup... Its a keeper always there Boss ;)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofV6BGi4AJA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ofV6BGi4AJA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am with Deva...(Bodean)...I have used a knut for about 2 years now....currently with a tenex eye-eye. It is a very smooth and reliable hitch.

I have delayed trying the VT since the knut works so well for me...way, way better than the taut or Blake's ever did.

I understand where you are coming from Gary.. The way I can describe it for me best is thus.. When I fell a tree.. I read the tree, and make decisions on my felling cut in order to control the desired fall and placement of the tree from the cut. I will use all in my arsenal from my experience in the felling cut(s) to achieve what I want towards the placement of the felled tree..... Same with climbing. I will use each set up as I deem appropriate to my comfort level/needs and what will serve me best for the task at hand. The more in my arsenal the better. I find what not only I am comfortable with, but what might also serve me well in any environment that nature has to offer me in circumstance. Sometimes one knot or set up may serve me better in one place than another.... How many here can tie a one handed bowline? How many can tie it with either hand.. Might serve me well in an emergency if I can. Same with each knot and circumstance in the environment that I am in and serving. All may come to play in any given circumstance in the environment in the trees. Same with each set up. I embrace all as I might need them someday or may find what best works for me out of all of them :D
More the better in learning and implementing ;)

I've been trying to get my VT to hold open, it seems to bind more than ever.

I must be tieing it wrong.

I find the knut allows tend slacking with gravity easy as pie.

You can try to experiment with turning the friction cord, while tieing the VT.
If you turn the cord outwards, it'll make the VT release more easily, inwards makes it go tighter.
Quite logical, when you think about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where do you guys get those little rubber thingys to put on your karabiners?

Back