Hitchclimber pulley...likin' it!

Very nice, Bermy. You have identified the reason why I only use it sometimes. It's not a big deal to recrotch but it is not as easy as some other setups. If a tree only required one or two change overs it is worth the small amount of extra effort for the comfortable hitch placement for me.

But the sad fact is, I'm getting very, very spoiled with my Unicender. Pretty soon I guess I'll be forgetting how to tie knots. ;)

Dave

Biggun, that's the same VT I use. Do you find it twists your lifeline on long descents? I ended up reversing the last crossover and that helped reduce the line twist. (This cord is about an inch too long)

Yeah, I have noticed that, the Elderid rope kink quite a bit IME... the rope has a good memory:(

I noticed the tachyon does the same but put that down to moving onto a petzl swivel on my bridge. I will retie and see if there is any difference. cheers:)

Putting a swivel in the loop will only allow your hitch to twist the rope more. You can try it, but I've been there and done that. You have to look at the CAUSE of the twisting, not a bandaid to add to the system to cover it up. I quit using a pulley on my friction saver as well for the same reason. The friction on the rope helps prevent it from twisting as much. The spiral effect of the wraps in your hitch is where the twist originates. By laying the crossovers in the opposite direction of the wraps, it helps neutralize the twisting effect on your lifeline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... By laying the crossovers in the opposite direction of the wraps, it helps neutralize the twisting effect on your lifeline.

Hey, thanks for that insight...good information

Putting a swivel in the loop will only allow your hitch to twist the rope more. You can try it, but I've been there and done that. You have to look at the CAUSE of the twisting, not a bandaid to add to the system to cover it up. I quit using a pulley on my friction saver as well for the same reason. The friction on the rope helps prevent it from twisting as much. The spiral effect of the wraps in your hitch is where the twist originates. By laying the crossovers in the opposite direction of the wraps, it helps neutralize the twisting effect on your lifeline.

What Brian said, in spades. I followed his advice and it definitely helped.

Now I'm riding the icycle hitch, doesn't seem to twist as bad as the VT. Also not as easy to remedy what twist it does have.

Another satisfied recipient of Brian's VT advice here. I think it was his thread over at AS that got me switched over from a Blakes hitch.

Back