Hitch Hiker Reviews

I was able to climb after work with a "hands free" setup. I have my flipline over my shoulder clipped to the HH, it advances very nice. I have the Basic below the HH with a foot loop and a bungee cord tied directly to it. I attached the hand loop to the bungee with a prussic hitch to be able to easily adjust it "on the fly". I clipped the "hand loop"(with the prussic hitch)onto the end of the flipline(with the HH). This was my first climb with this setup, it worked great! I had my rope set 67ft up in an Oak and I was able to ascend to my TIP without stopping(for me that's quite an accomplishment). It does still need some "sorting out". It created a lot of pressure/pull on my shoulder with the flipline. I think the the bungee cord is too short which is causing a lot of the extra "pull" on the flipline when I'm at the bottom of my "step". I think if I can get the bungee cord longer it will still advance the Basic with less "pull" at the bottom of my "step". Maybe a different place to clip in the bungee cord.....? If all that makes any sense.....? I took a few pics, none really show the setup. I want to video the setup once I get sorted out.....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Time to get some sleep, 4am is coming fast.....:sleepy2:

Attachments

• IMG_7158 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7158 - Copy.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7160 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7160 - Copy.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7163 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7163 - Copy.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7155 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_7155 - Copy.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 76
I'm having a small issue with my HH setup. Occasionally upon releasing the hitch I find myself stuck. I think the carabiner is pinned on to the rope with such force that even with the hitch fully released I don't go anywhere. After a moment it usually lets go, but then there is a small drop and jerk before the hitch catches on the rope again. After that descent is as usual.

Assuming that this is not normal, I have two guesses as to why it might be happening. First is that the rope I am using is too skinny (11mm Velocity), and is therefore too easily jammed by the carabiner. The second is that I am too skinny! Perhaps I don't weigh enough to get the HH moving when it's set tight on the rope...

Any suggestions?

Leon check the surface that the biner slides on the side plate and check it for an indentation that may be keeping it from moving a k up and releasing. Can you try it with another rope and which biner do you have

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. There is a very slight indentation on one side of the channel. I'm not sure it's enough to cause the problem I'm having. I've put some pictures here so you can take a look at it anyways. I'm using the CT carabiner that came with the HH.

Surveyor, when you say the wider pinto spacer is that the one that should go with the pinto rig? If I can find one of those locally I'll get one. No harm in trying it out.

Anyone ever notice how rope fibers collect on the carabiner? I'm sure those fibers are wearing off no matter what climbing system you use, but kind of interesting to be able to see it clearly here.

Attachments

• IMGP0127.jpg
    IMGP0127.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP0128.jpg
    IMGP0128.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP0129.jpg
    IMGP0129.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP0130.jpg
    IMGP0130.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP0131.jpg
    IMGP0131.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 47
Here's a couple more pictures, which may or may not be useful. I'm not really seeing an indentation big enough to cause this. I'll give it a try on a fatter rope sometime soon and report back.

IMGP0136.jpg IMGP0137.jpg

I'm having a small issue with my HH setup. Occasionally upon releasing the hitch I find myself stuck. I think the carabiner is pinned on to the rope with such force that even with the hitch fully released I don't go anywhere. After a moment it usually lets go, but then there is a small drop and jerk before the hitch catches on the rope again. After that descent is as usual.

Assuming that this is not normal, I have two guesses as to why it might be happening. First is that the rope I am using is too skinny (11mm Velocity), and is therefore too easily jammed by the carabiner. The second is that I am too skinny! Perhaps I don't weigh enough to get the HH moving when it's set tight on the rope...

Any suggestions?

I've had my HH do that, doesn't sound like it's as severe. I haven't put a lot of "climb time" on it so I chalked it up to just not being tuned quite right.....?
When it happens to me, it doesn't actually "lock up" or seize, it seems to release really slow. If I get impatient and completely "release" the friction hitch, then I get the sudden release from the 'biner and the little jerk when it engages again. I just took a look at the slots in my HH and there is little to no wear, and no notches that I can see where the 'biner rides. My HH is bone stock and I'm using 1/2 " Yale xtc 12 strand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...it doesn't actually "lock up" or seize, it seems to release really slow. If I get impatient and completely "release" the friction hitch, then I get the sudden release from the 'biner and the little jerk when it engages again...

Yeah I have had that, usually only in DRT though...

Here's a couple more pictures, which may or may not be useful. I'm not really seeing an indentation big enough to cause this. I'll give it a try on a fatter rope sometime soon and report back.

View attachment 46411View attachment 46412

That's pretty much identical to what mine looks like.

Leon,
on a side note, how does that cord loop work to advance your HH, what kind of cord is it?
Thanks. :D

I have the same issue, but only when climbing Ddrt. SRT is fine. I don't use a friction saver so I think that has something to do with it.
Leon, I believe the indent you are looking at is meant to be there. The issue would be if it was on the opposite face, but let Paul be the one to clear that up.

That's pretty much identical to what mine looks like.

Leon,
on a side note, how does that cord loop work to advance your HH, what kind of cord is it?
Thanks. :D

The cord loop works just fine to advance the HH, although it doesn't look as pretty as some that have been posted here. I'm not sure what kind of cord it is. I just went in to the sailing shop and picked the stiffest 5mm cord they had and bought a meter of it off the reel.

I still haven't tried the HH DRT!

The cord loop works just fine to advance the HH, ...!

Leon, next time it sticks, check just to make sure that the loop eyes are not jamming. I have not had good luck with cord tethers because they seem prone to do just that.

Dave

So, week 2 on the HH and I am totally stoked! I was able to put the unit to work in its element, SRT with a base tie on a couple of maples...

Damn! The ability to avoid spending too much time isolating tip's is great as well as not installing cambium savers...well saves time. As is being able to redirect so seamlessly and without sacrificing smooth hitch function is great. I found that my ability to redirect and then work the tree below the redirect much quicker and easier than with Ddrt. These maples were about 55' with a width of around 50 and length of the canopy around 100' or better. I was able to set tip's for working both sides of the canopy with great ease and was able to work the whole 100' length without coming out of the trees. Granted, one could do that with Ddrt, but my experience SRT was much smoother than it ever was Ddrt. I don't really notice the issues with limbwalking that a few have mentioned before, it seems pretty much the same as with Ddrt, just a lil harder I suppose.

I wish I began experimenting with work Srt sooner, but none of the other full time Srt devices really caught my eye. That, and being a fairly proficient Ddrt climber, one's inability to switch over easily with say, the RW did not appeal to me. This device allows a reticent SRT climber to ease into the situation, whenever the system presents an advantage and allows the climber to slip easily into the 'safe mode' of Ddrt. I've found that on most removals I do, Ddrt seems more intuitive, but perhaps when I approach a removal which needs 50' of spur work before the first cut I might be more inclined to srt.

My bare bones ascent system (mind you I've only done a few 20-40' pitches) employs a pantin and a single handled ascender. As I step onto the rope, I lift the biner under the HH with my left hand and advance the ascender with my right. There is no tether from the ascender to my person, so I believe that there is no danger from not backing up above it. While I will definitely be looking to gear junkies and watching the progress of the walker systems, this ascent system works pretty darned well and I'm pleased with how quickly 0-30' passes with so much less movement. I've found myself much more energized after the couple of longer climbs I've done with the system.

That said, I'm still new to Srt, and look forward to fine tuning and mercilessly plagiarising all your great ideas!

And one great big thank you to Paul, that HH will be worked hard!

Leon, next time it sticks, check just to make sure that the loop eyes are not jamming. I have not had good luck with cord tethers because they seem prone to do just that.

Dave

I'm still using the coat hanger wire, I'm pretty sure that's not jamming.....

The cord loop works just fine to advance the HH, although it doesn't look as pretty as some that have been posted here. I'm not sure what kind of cord it is. I just went in to the sailing shop and picked the stiffest 5mm cord they had and bought a meter of it off the reel.

I still haven't tried the HH DRT!

Thanks Leon,
I haven't tried it DRT yet either.

I just took the Hitch Hiker off my Velocity with the idea to try it out on some Poison Ivy and discovered a big blob of banyan sap stuck on the aluminum back plate right where the carabiner pinches the rope. This might explain things getting stickier than usual. I'll clean it up and report back if I have troubles on my next climb in a couple days. Hopefully the combination of a fatter rope and no more banyan goo will make everything nice and smooth.

By the way, Dave, I checked the cord tether and I think it's not very likely responsible for things getting jammed. It will not go into the channel at all without some outside pressure.

...By the way, Dave, I checked the cord tether and I think it's not very likely responsible for things getting jammed. It will not go into the channel at all without some outside pressure.

Well, hopefully it was the Banyan sap that was causing the trouble. Just keep an eye on the tether. When in work mode and not paying any attention to the HH, the odd angles that occur at the slot interface from twisting and re-weighting can allow openings followed by tremendous force.

Dave

Leon yes you found the problem SAP. Sap will really turn the HH into a binary device for sure. Not sure there's any cure for it to be honest

Mine has hung up a lot like Leon described. I think that it's one of the reasons that each time I use it and like it, I end up switching back to a wrench.

I'm 220 fully loaded and it's definitely pressure from the oxan with the hitch fully released. I mentioned it to some other HH'ers on a rec climb late last year and was the only one who experienced it.

It's definitely not my advancement loop that does it. I've checked that when I was hung up. It's just pinching from the oxan under weight. It's possible that it's the oxan + imori that does it. I haven't tried a different steel biner or rope with the HH.

Last edited:
That hangup was something I experienced on the prototype. Erik and I should get a chance to see how it works with the production model, today. He's probably 180-190. I'm 190. We'll use PI, arbormaster, and/ or HTP for a variety pack.

Back