High capacity chip truck

On Dave's link, Chevy 8500 W/ onboard air needs a C20650.

I think the ordinance says no exhaust brakes (or retarders), never paid it much attention.

Brian won't be putting the kit on himself, the Ford kit I linked was $1300, fwiw.

The first three hits on a Google search had prices from $1000-$1400. So I think $3K would be the absolute max. with full installation. Probably closer to $2K.

It would be fun flipping the switch and seeing the lil econobox drivers crapping their pants after they cut in front of me with their foot on the brake! :lol:

You can do a cheap exhaust brake using the back pressure valve of the turbo. Guys do it to 250/350s, but I'm not sure how well it'd work on a big truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great thing about exhaust brake is it doesn't make the noise of a jake brake. So they should be legal everywhere.

The first three hits on a Google search had prices from $1000-$1400. So I think $3K would be the absolute max. with full installation. Probably closer to $2K.

It would be fun flipping the switch and seeing the lil econobox drivers crapping their pants after they cut in front of me with their foot on the brake! :lol:

Yeah, I thought about it and reduced it to $2k after I remember you're not afraid to shop around, just getting greasy is out of the question.:P

That's probably a safe estimate. The PRABX website says kits starting at $1100 and change. Are these noisy?

I simply don't have any place to work on it legally. I've put in my time turning wrenches. Remember I grew up in my father's service station.

The exhaust brakes are not very noisy at all. A real Jake on a truck with 10" straight chimneys sounds like a frickin' helicopter is flying up your backside.:lol:

Brian, do you have an auto tranny? You better ask around before you install the brake. Most often and auto tranny needs to be built for an exhaust brake, thats alot of back pressure that most are not designed for

Yeah, it's a new style Allison 6 speed auto. All electronic, push button shifting (a small keypad on the left edge of the dash).

We stayed there last year on vacation. You're right about the roads.

thank you for seeing what i mean,
the cove isnt the worst but up there on the list
i put an exhaust brake on my old boom, i could just drop in anywhere
only available for a diesel though and here come our new carb laws

Oh, you meant roll it over to stop it. I was thinking roll it forward.:|: I must be going blonde. Not to change the subject, but my nephew teaches high school in Petrolia.

Check this out. The guy says that this stop is using the retarder only.

Hey steve
have ya been out there before?
i did the eucs at the community center during the canooe creek honeydew fire a few years back
(no im not the one who topped em...i did the canopy cleaning)
i camped on light house road for about a month and a half, while working on the winery trees and then the fire
the roads out there suck, but its so pretty
your vid shows the dt466., with the exhaust brake
..great motor
my old boom had one and i loved going to places like that
need something for a gas motor now

No, I have never been there. The closest I have been is my Wife and I stayed the night at Sea Ranch one time about 25 years ago. Petrolia must be pretty remote because the high school has like 5 students. He lives in Ferndale and I'm hoping to get together with him on our West Coast Climb weekend. Here is the text from the video.

1994 IH 4900, tweaked DT466, making about 270hp. 4.78 gears, Allison auto, and a retarder. This run it weighs about 27k pounds, and goes from 0-56mph & back down on the retarder(no brakes used).

I wish my truck accellerated that fast. :( The book says my Cat only puts out about 215 hp. and I'm about the same weight at over 27K lbs.

He supposedly has the engine putting 270 hp. Must have opened up the rack. I've been thinking about doing that on my motor. It might start smoking and if it does I can just turn it back down. I think it's more complicated on the newer motors, and it can't help but shorten the life of everything.

ponci's diesel center in fortuna ca, specializes in diesels and even has some built for racing at the samoa drag strip
dont know if they have a web site
but brad makes diesels that can smoke a sports car off the line
and roast 36's on the road
see if there's a web site

Like this I have found one or two in good shape I was just hoping for diesels. Then I can crush cars on the weekends:D

I've got one of those same trucks, yep, an old aspy unit. I bought it from schmiddys. They put all terrain tires on it but it still looks menacing as all hell.

I've often dreamt of driving over cop cars with it.

Back