High capacity chip truck

Ahh, now I'm getting it. Different environments require different approaches. Something like Andrew's short wheelbase truck but 4X4.

Something like this? :)

0.jpg

thats what i need, 4x4 flatbed, id like a rear mount but for the $ it would work great

the float tires on the other would just turn you over in our mtns,

im looking currently and found our fine state will be making us do away with older model diesels in the future so im unfortunately looking at gas motors

does anyone know if there is a pac brake or something like an exhaust brake for gas powered trucks
our grades are steep and long here, and rpm speed becomes an issue quick
dont want to loose brakes a gain...ever...i dont want to have to roll it to stop it.

I don't think most gas engines could take that much back pressure. Gassers have a butter fly on the intake side that works kinda similar by make the engine work harder to suck in air. Sooner or later California business are going to have to rebel against all the nonsense or leave the state!

It looks like you have until 2023 to have the vehicle compliant. I don't think if I bought a new work truck tomorrow I'd still be driving it in 13 years.

I'm sure they will come after the gassers next. A lot of bored politicians in Cali.

I saw an Unimog in Asheville for sale. You could put a chip box on that thing!

Attachments

• 0509092029.jpg
    0509092029.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 96
thats what i need, 4x4 flatbed, id like a rear mount but for the $ it would work great

the float tires on the other would just turn you over in our mtns,

im looking currently and found our fine state will be making us do away with older model diesels in the future so im unfortunately looking at gas motors

does anyone know if there is a pac brake or something like an exhaust brake for gas powered trucks
our grades are steep and long here, and rpm speed becomes an issue quick
dont want to loose brakes a gain...ever...i dont want to have to roll it to stop it.

I think the newer allison transmissions have a retarder that can brake the vehicle.

QUOTE]...i dont want to have to roll it to stop it[/QUOTE] Could you explain this?

I think the newer allison transmissions have a retarder that can brake the vehicle.

QUOTE]...i dont want to have to roll it to stop it
Could you explain this?[/QUOTE]

Sure
the hills in our backwoods eat brakes, no retarder -and you will eventually fade your brakes, because the rpm raise very quickly, and then you are stab braking for awhile, low gears up r's real fast here
its like driving up to arrowhead or big bear, on a shorter road,
the unknown coast and kings range are brutal
i lost brakes going into petrolia once in my boom, just got down the last hill and they dumped all the fluids out.
and once in my suburban going into shelter cove with my 250 xp behind it, i used the hillside to stop me that time
our roads are small and windy,
if your brakes fade out, youre screwed, so ya look for natural features that will stop you, like a nice spot in the road to put the truck up the embankment and onto its side, rather than let it continue as a self propelled rocket
every year mclellan mtn on hwy 36 claims a rig or two as does 299
its kind of a safety thing to know where the cliffs are, where the straightaways are etc, id rather tip it over than go over the bank or bail out in the road,
kind of extreme, but so are the roads

Oh, you meant roll it over to stop it. I was thinking roll it forward.:|: I must be going blonde. Not to change the subject, but my nephew teaches high school in Petrolia.

Check this out. The guy says that this stop is using the retarder only.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sbw7J3zXA4E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sbw7J3zXA4E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's strange he holds the same RPM (aside from some fluttering) for 10-11 seconds while the MPH's climb 15-20 mph. That doesn't seem "right" by any means.

Carl, you're used to driving trucks with standard transmissions. There was absolutely nothing unusual about the acceleration phase of that video. 100% normal for an Allison.

I didn't think my chip truck shifts like that, but you're 100% right, that's the only auto truck (not a pickup, obviously) I've driven.

Seems like that would build a stupendous amount of heat in the tranny, but I guess that's the TC doing it's thing (higher stall w/ lockup I'd guess?)

That looks about right to me. The '05 Duramax where I used to work would hold a high rpm when you got into it, fluctuating only a 100 or so either way for shifts. Very smooth. I have a Jakobs exhaust brake on my pickup, they work great. I also drove a Mitso fh200 with the exhaust brake and auto, it shuts off, shifts down, and comes back on automatically. Very smooth, and very quick deceleration. They do have their limits, anything with a twin-screw really should have a real engine brake, IMO.

Also, you're used to your gas motor which has a much wider powerband. Big diesels usually stay between 2000 and 2500 rpm when you're accelerating so there will be an increase in speed without a big increase in rpm. Your gas motor will rev up a couple thousand rpm for that same speed increase.

Yeah, must be the TC. I've driven standard shift Class 6-8 diesels and they (obviously) don't shift like that.

Learn something new every day. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had an old beat up grapple truck that would shift and drive similar to that, It didn't have a retarder on it though. My isuzu has a exhaust brake on it and it will almost stop itself, when I'm not towing!

Can an exhaust brake be added on after the fact? I could probably use one on that pig of a truck I drive around. Invariably the light will turn yellow when I'm 400' away and running 50 mph. :(
If so, approximately what can I expect to pay to have one installed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think banks makes one for that cat. Exhaust brakes are great I don't know why they don't come standard on diesels.

Kits are around a $1000, sometimes more, sometimes less. They usually aren't too bad to install. Carl, are the exhaust brakes banned as well? They aren't anywhere near as noisy as an engine brake. They usually just hiss, much quieter than the crash that might ensue from not having one.:lol:

Last edited:
Back