High Back Cut, Burnham Style!

That is how a facecut was made back in the axe and whipsaw days, at least around here.

I gut most of my hinges because I find that it makes it easier to vary the thickness from one side to the other, to compensate for lean, branch weigth etc.

Instead of a hinge running all the way across the tree, I much prefer a block of wood in each side.

Daniel BTW if a longer hinge is less flexible, why do so many of us use methods like vertical cut, whizzy or block undercut when we want a stronger hinge?

Burnham, I took a look through a lot of your falling pictures. You do great work! Thanks for taking the time to share them.

"Environmentalists can no longer escape the fact that their policies of inaction have ended up denuding many forests by increasing the risk and severity of forest fires." - Prof. Robert H. Nelson

Around here the only way to start a forest fire would be to call in a napalm strike!

What is the problem about forest fires?

That people get in the way.

But that is not the forest's problem, is it?

Stig, Im often curious about how you do things over your way. Do you harvest from land owned by the mill, as in cut for the mill, or do you cut from private land and sell to the mill? You personally that is.

Me personally:

I have a bunch of private forests ( owned by dukes, counts and other nobility( and you guys call us commies!!)) where I log on an ongoing contract.

In the state forests I bid whenever a logging contract comes up.
Last one we bid on runs for 3 years, so the next two winters we are doing good.

Richard and I bid together. We work together, have the same logo but each of us are a different company, taxwise.

Mills don't own anything here, but lately they sure dictate what gets felled and when.

It used to be, but sometimes mills will ask for logs in the summer now.

Pain in the ass to log hardwoods with the leaves on them.

I first learned about using a high back cut in the 'Fundamentals' text, and take the liberty of quoting: "In pull-trees with side lean, a beefy hinge with a high back cut will help carry them over better while minimizing side drift". This seems very much the reason why Stig mentioned that he uses it. I have also used it innumerable times with both pull trees and ones being pushed by a heavy implement to counteract lean, where the hinge breaking prematurely would be a problem. It works well. Any woodworker worth his salt knows that when bending wood, longer fibers will provide better resistance to breaking by further elongating, than shorter ones. Stig is hardly the point man in offering the longer is stronger perspective, there is really no argument.

"Environmentalists can no longer escape the fact that their policies of inaction have ended up denuding many forests by increasing the risk and severity of forest fires." - Prof. Robert H. Nelson

Around here the only way to start a forest fire would be to call in a napalm strike!

What is the problem about forest fires?

That people get in the way.

But that is not the forest's problem, is it?

The problem is not the naturally occurring lower temperature (IIRC 1200 degree F ground fires), but rather the extra hot (IIRC ~ 2000 degree F) stand-replacing crown fires that are occurring.

The naturally occurring fires help to keep the stem/ acre number down to a reasonable number. When I worked in Lake Tahoe CA/NV doing fuel reduction/ stand improvement work (amongst other projects like trail building), we were working with stands of about 150 tree/ acre. We would routinely (maybe one per week or two)hear trees fall in the canyon that we worked in, where there were more dead trees (beetle kill) than live. Lake Tahoe had been clearcut for the Virginia City silver mines (800 miles of underground mine tunnel supports, plus building materials and fuel). Since then, its been building up fuel to different extents, and has too many trees for the available water, resulting in stressed, beetle-susceptible trees.

Additionally, fire suppression resulted in some fir that would have been burnt out, not being burnt out, and the riparian Aspens, which are fire stimulated to root sucker, were getting crowded out, screwing up wildlife forage and habitat.

Soil becomes vitrified (turns to be glass-like to some degree) resulting in changed hydrology, and increased drainage resulting in greater drought stress.

The unnatural high intensity fires that aren't just clearing the ground fuels and some trees, might result in major erosion that can threaten Lake Tahoe's already diminshing water clarity (in the 1960's it was 100' visibility, now it is in the 60-70' range).

Interesting. I've never heard about the problem with higher temperatures.

It is completely foreign to me. We don't have forest fires here.
Well, we had one a couple of years back, lost about 8 acres of conifer plantation.

Do you happen to have a link where I can read more about it?

Next time you visit Yosemite Stig, you will see first hand what happens when we loose one in too much fuel. Pretty nasty scar that. There is a pull out on the 41 side coming from the Yosemite valley towards Oakhurst. Not moon scape but close. If you want moon scape I can take you over to 33,000 acres down the road from me. Crispy. That one was started with a bullet.

I would think that the environmentalists would demand the hide of someone who starts a forest fire, all that carbon getting released into the atmosphere.

The one in Yosemite was started with a prescribed burn.. Rut ro.. Oooops, got away from the FS.
The one down the street, a dad shooting with his son(s) on BLM land.
The environmentalists are more concerned with their day to day breathing as they drive their car to work with only the driver seat covered. The forest fire is forgotten by your typical city dwelling greenie in a matter of days/weeks.
Some burning is necessary. You can see where the new forest is now coming in. Years in the making, but recovering. Some is too much scorching the earth due to hot burning fuel in high density.
We really screwed with things suppressing the fires for so long, now the fuel load is hard to manage.

Not exactly sure if you would call this Burnham style or not, but it worked well. Lots of back lean over a cliff with a roof below. Straightened it up with a two ton endless cable puller while cutting.

Attachments

• Ikusakacliffjob0039 copy.JPG
    Ikusakacliffjob0039 copy.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 132
I found this other photo too. It was a high cut, but it was right on the edge of a drop with no place for me to go in case, so I wanted to get out of there before the tree was completely pulled over. Heavy limbs off the back too, supplementing the lean. Seemed to work according to plan, but I'd be open to critique. A type of Cedar, pretty brittle wood.

Attachments

• Ikusakacliffjob0037.JPG
    Ikusakacliffjob0037.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, a little scary place to work, roots were exposed on the face of the drop off.

Attachments

• Ikusakacliffjob0028.JPG
    Ikusakacliffjob0028.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 26
Back