High Back Cut, Burnham Style!

Can I be an honorary Canadian then? I do that every chance I get.

VO backed with beer, a perfect combo! I learned that in a Watsonville bar, so hometown that the bartender had never been out of the county in his whole life, he said.

Talk about a train of a derail...
I wanna see some freaky notches.

The loggers in georgia cut piss small pine , they are pretty much a gone breed anymore as its all mecanical harversting.I had the plesure of working with a 40 year old feller , who had cut for pulp his entire life.
Those pines are like putty , very sappy , very sof and bendable.
Very predictable, he had a cut called the icecream cut or the twister , twisted sister, or mostly the swing cut .
It involved cutting a downward facing notch . then coming in high on the back cut and running the say down and around at the same time.
Very artsy, this man could fell almost against the lean.
These trees keep in mind were pretty much 12 to 14 inch dia beanpole pines.
Ive never seen or heard of their felling ways since.
His name was Amos McPherson.
One bad ass dude. 22 inch biceps looked just like and older Mike Tyson.
I know yall will immediatly dismiss this , thats cool.
But if yall saw this guy plowing through a hundred pines felling a tree a min even , yall would have been impressed.He was a master feller of his genre.

Talk about a train of a derail...
I wanna see some freaky notches.

The loggers in georgia cut piss small pine , they are pretty much a gone breed anymore as its all mecanical harversting.I had the plesure of working with a 40 year old feller , who had cut for pulp his entire life.
Those pines are like putty , very sappy , very sof and bendable.
Very predictable, he had a cut called the icecream cut or the twister , twisted sister, or mostly the swing cut .
It involved cutting a downward facing notch . then coming in high on the back cut and running the say down and around at the same time.
Very artsy, this man could fell almost against the lean.
These trees keep in mind were pretty much 12 to 14 inch dia beanpole pines.
Ive never seen or heard of their felling ways since.
His name was Amos McPherson.
One bad ass dude. 22 inch biceps looked just like and older Mike Tyson.
I know yall will immediatly dismiss this , thats cool.
But if yall saw this guy plowing through a hundred pines felling a tree a min even , yall would have been impressed.He was a master feller of his genre.

The bushel faller in a pecker-poll-patch is a living falling machine that is run by a mindset to make it pay. They think two to three trees ahead while they work on any one. And so when they walk up to the next to fall it the time between judging it's favor and having it on the ground has already been thought out.

Any faller worth his salt can lay the little stuff on the ground in a hurry, but lives for the pumpkins.8)

You called it. That's what the odd falling gig I get now is usually like. Just cream compared to the bush. The odd day or few of right of way falling is all I ever luck into now.:(

Flat ground is a given around here, but I'm totally with you on the no brush thing.
Not having to fight your way through brush and second growth is good.
Sometimes I miss the old days of cutting pulp, but I know for sure, that if I ever got a chance to do it again, it would cease being fun after two days at the max.

Since when does Black Velvet come in a can?:?
Well,it's a kind of a can,like a half gallon .

Back to the real subject .It's flat as a table top in these parts with the few exceptions of perhaps a tree on a river bank . As such seldom would any extra ordinary falling cuts be needed such as a notch/snipe etc .

Leaving a couple inches of high back cut is standerd practice . On rare occasions sometimes a tapered back cut might be used to turn a tree on the fall . I can get maybe 40-45 degrees of redirect ,much over that I don't do too well .

The bushel faller in a pecker-poll-patch is a living falling machine that is run by a mindset to make it pay. They think two to three trees ahead while they work on any one. And so when they walk up to the next to fall it the time between judging it's favor and having it on the ground has already been thought out.

I miss ole Amos, he was a one of a kind.

Back