Hanging limbs

Awesome.

I think I've watched all your vids, at least once yet many multiple times. The time it takes to make a vid is unreal. Some of my favs are faller vs faller series, i get a good laugh from them.

Good post Jay, cool Aussi story, Reg. Experiencing times and people like that when you are young like that is awesome, memories like that will be forever strong.

And fwiw, I believe tree work can definitely be art, no question. It all depends on how one chooses to look at it.

A perfectly pruned tree could be seen as a work of art (e.g. bonsai) but more likely, a certain tree job or a portion of the job can be performance art, a job or task carried out with extreme skill, finesse, flair, efficiency, or insight into how to get it done. Yet once its done, it is gone forever, unless captured on film, which may or may not be able to show the artistic angle.

One quick example imo of tree work as performance art that did translate well onto video would be the Tahune Air Walk vid.

But of course one person's art is another person's boring silly stuff. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

...And fwiw, I believe tree work can definitely be art, no question. It all depends on how one chooses to look at it.
But of course one person's art is another person's boring silly stuff. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, I couldn't agree more.

Reg, so glad that you have joined this good group of guys and started posting here. I am confident that the effort and time you put into your vids and postings will not go unnoticed or unmentioned. I confess to being guilty of not acknowledging your efforts and others as well. But do understand they are very much appreciated.

David

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Reg. For me the pics. are a great way to learn more about this trade. Any more stories about Australia?

Lots of stories, good and bad, no shortage of characters. I didn't have much of a life outside of work. and I was too ignorant and immature to take advice from the people around me....although, those same attributes are partly what made me a good worker. I often regret not doing this and that, but I think everyone has those same thoughts about things they could have done different. We didn't get anything of the enormity that you do in south Australia, but some tough, heavy trees all the same. img030.jpg

img035.jpg

img018.jpg

img020.jpg

img029.jpg

img028.jpg

img026.jpg

img043.jpg

Yes, I couldn't agree more.

Reg, so glad that you have joined this good group of guys and started posting here. I am confident that the effort and time you put into your vids and postings will not go unnoticed or unmentioned. I confess to being guilty of not acknowledging your efforts and others as well. But do understand they are very much appreciated.

David

Thanks Dave. Dont get me wrong, I was never looking for a slap on the back or anything, just an indication that people are interested, whether they agree with the work or not. The forums are free, so as a member one feels obliged to put in a good effort....but often It was like trying to start a conversation with someone and getting ignored. Doesn't matter anyway.

I feel much the same way. I hardly ever take pictures of tree work anymore. Maybe occasionally the unusual tree, but my work pictures just started looking all the same, and I don't have any exceptional skills or knowledge to share.

I do appreciate everyone else posting their shots and videos, though. I'm constantly learning from them, and making my work easier and safer.

Every time I feel this way about the "same ol thing", I remind myself about how I was learning this trade through some of the members pictures here and their thoughts, comments and dialogue. Then it occurs to me that maybe it's not so "same ol thing" to someone coming up in the industry and maybe someone might learn something from what may appear mundane to me after a sort....
So pictures we take... document jobs.. .review the pictures and see if there was something I could have done better... Maybe something I missed. Then maybe someone else may also get something of it... :dontknow:
I know I sure love looking at others work and thinking about how I would have done it as well...

Being nowhere near the caliber of climber you or many of the hardworking professionals on this site are, I greatly appreciate the time and effort you, and everyone here has taken to stir conversation and advance the craft.

Especially for me, as I end up in more dead trees than live ones, was the series you did on dead firs. Wonderful info that.

Wild work, Reg. Big, long-ago topped firs are a different breed. I've only worked few. Sort of a conifer turned big spreading, tangled tree, and your rope has a bazillion little sprouts and twigs to snag on.

Interesting how you hung the limbs. Was the anchor point toward the edge of the canopy on a co-dominant lead, getting you some horizontal clearance? Cool. Thanks for another tool to put in the bag.

Keep it coming.

I much sooner be a real bloke, than talented, anyday

I respect that man! Many times talented people become arrogant thinking everybody should kiss the ground they walk on. They believe they are above other people which is sad because will likely hurt them in the long run. The guys and gals here are not like that. That is what makes this forum great! Extended family ;)

Great images and work, Reg.

Many moons ago, in fact I think it would have been 1976 or 7, as I was using a Homelite Super EZ Auto in the tree, I removed a quite large douglas fir. At that time, neither I or any climber I knew had any new age skills, as they probably didn't exist except for a select few early adopters...Don Blair, etc....? I utilized a short length of rope and a slip knot that held under weight to hang each limb. Then, I pulled hard enough to pull the loop out, to allow the limbs to fall close to the trunk and clear whatever obstacles I was concerned about. The job must have been a no haul, as many were back in the day when homeowners could burn the debris. I recall Darrell climbing a tree nearby, but there must have been a groundie, as I recall sending the climb saw down 5,6, or 7 times for a refuel.

since then, I've learned a few things.......

like the importance of having some broken rake handles around for sliders.........:lol::P:|:

Continuing with that thought, it's a good thing you never talked me into a BlockDriver, or it might have been stolen along with the Wraptor, and all the other toys......

Now I just gotta figger out how to levitate...as, neither my cane or walker are proper tools for getting me into the canopy.....

Great post.

Two really good new techniques to add to the 'box of tricks', thanks!
I like the prussik on the rigging rope so you can just slide it up and down where you need it, no fiddling around with the main rope and minimal shock load...versatile

And Pompey is so skilled Lb', but you do have to get with the programme on his PPE, or is he exempt because he's a bear? ;)

Just hold on another year Rog!

We can help grizzled old veterans in walkers soon!

Which floor would you like to be lifted to gramps?

Just jokin Rog!

You du senior man mate!

Jomo:)

Thanks again

Interesting how you hung the limbs. Was the anchor point toward the edge of the canopy on a co-dominant lead, getting you some horizontal clearance? Cool. .

It was tied to the central lead, where it was clear down below. I rigged probably 10, 12 limbs....the rest were ok to drop. A few plus's is that you have two hands free to work, doesnt get in the way when not in use, dont need a huge length of line, and no doubling effect on the rigging point.

Sounds like our Australia experiences were very similar Reg. I was out in 98-99.

I cant help but feel that you're working to hard on these jobs. I refuse to compete at stupid prices for treework these days. I like to take my time on jobs, and having to climb, rig, chip and clean up a big tree like that in 2 days is a big ask. Especially as an employee.

Gotcha, it looked like it. I wasn't thinking of the target being off to the side. duh. Thanks.

I can see this application being useful in a lot of setting if you are on a small crew/ solo onsite. With a friction saver a climber could hang pruned limbs, then descend, and lower them down without burning the crotch with many limbs' weights.

Finding an employer ready and willing to pay you the five bills a day any pro is worth on certain strategic removals ain't easy, and never was till yu proved it to the head honcho in person.

Rarely ever got more than five bills a day though.

Have done lots of nasty stuff for two bills a day for friends though!

Reg and many climbers at TH are five bill a day climbers easy!

Remember I give senior citizen slow poke discount rates now folks!

Jomo

Sounds like our Australia experiences were very similar Reg. I was out in 98-99.

I cant help but feel that you're working to hard on these jobs. I refuse to compete at stupid prices for treework these days. I like to take my time on jobs, and having to climb, rig, chip and clean up a big tree like that in 2 days is a big ask. Especially as an employee.

Its a tough town Ed. Jobs are won and lost over $10....and right now everyone is quiet and fighting over scraps of jobs. If you're not prepared to improvise, you just wont get the work. I work for probably half a dozen companies and this particular guy Scott is one of the rare few, ever, that actually gives a crap whether I have work or not. In most cases the sub-contractor (me) is the first cut-back when things are quiet and things are kept in-house....so I appreciate the gesture, and make sure i put in a good effort.

Jon, you get nowhere near 5 bills a day here mate....tree work is pretty lowly regarded. Thanks again

That's a real good quality to find amongst people that you associate with, whether they think about whether you have work or not, and vice versa. There are also the people that just might be willing to reduce their own profit, and spread it around a bit on a job. I sure can appreciate that and know some blokes.

Back