Hanging limbs

RegC

TreeHouser
I made a short video about this a little while ago in the rain. It wasn’t very good. The photos here aren’t the best either but there’s plently of them at least. Some from cellphone, and I set a timelapse on a wide angled lens too, picked out the better shots....just experimenting really. Timelapse soon eats up a memory card, I found out.

This is a job from a couple of days ago....remove a previously topped Douglas fir. Was priced as a 4 man day. Full clean up except the logs, just bucked into firewood for someone else to take.

Some stuff down below we didn’t want to damage, shrubs and dwarf trees mainly that were too big to dig out. Driveway, wall and other stuff.

It was gonna be tight completion wise, so instead we decided to go a 2 man team over 2 days, but that be two climbers. The theory being that 2 climbers get more done through half a day than one climber gets done in a full day....that is assuming the tree is big enough that they don’t get in each others way. What tends to happen is the tree opens up faster allowing more and sooner opportunity for both climbers to put bigger pieces down i.e. cutting away the left side of the tree can often make the right side easier, and vice versa....so when this is happening simultaneously, a time advantage is gained overall. Probably Im making this sound more complicated than it is. Anyway, on the right job, it works.

So we basically both get up, blast a load down, get down and clean up, then back up and so on.

Anyway, to the main point. Most of the work was free-falling/cutting but we still needed to rig some limbs....where it was too much work for cut-and-hold, but with no ground help to set up a conventional system. So I set fixed line at a high point to swing limbs away from targets....but they just hang as opposed to being lowered. Once the limb has been severed and hangs under the rigging-point you just cut it free and let fall.

Of course you can hang any limb off itself with just a sling, but its often still hanging over the target....as opposed to setting a line to a high-point which swings it away.

On this occasion I just used a short piece of rope, a prussic loop to set at a given point on the rope, with an loop sling to choke the limb.
One thing to keep in mind is to favour a Butt-tie, as opposed to a mid-tie....as with the latter as you cut the brush away while its hanging the log side of the tie might eventually rotate and whack you. Hope that makes sense.

Ive added some other pics too from the timelapse thing, not really relevant to the rigging but just how the job finished up. Mid way through day 2 an adjacent tree got added to the job, which was alot smaller and easy enough to get down through. Thanks.

IMG_20140212_113344.jpg

IMG_20140212_110603.jpg

IMG_20140212_110754.jpg

photo_2 (1).JPG

photo_2 (2).JPG

photo_5 (3).JPG

photo_5.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_5 (2).JPG

photo_3 (1).JPG

photo_5 (1).JPG

TL000421.jpg

TL000769.jpg

TL000947.jpg

DSC03142.JPG

TL000042.jpg

TL000080.jpg

TL000136.jpg

TL000251.jpg

DSC03145.JPG

Nice, Reg. Nice to see a lot of photos, seems like you normally do mostly vids, which are good too of course.

Good explanation re 2 climbers.

"Full clean up", does that mean YOU were chipping? I hope not. There is nothing at all wrong with a climber chipping at some point but if a top climber like you is being relied upon to do chipping in the middle of a TD, that seems like a serious misapplication of talent, imo.

Very nice pics Reg, top shelf stuff there!! keep posting, glad you at the tree house ;)

Yes, keep posting. We be lovin it.

Good stuff...very good pictures of the job. I have a tree by the house I have been looking at and considering doing something similar --toothpick compared to this one -- about 16 inches dbh and 60 feet high. No good DZ below but may swing the top and limbs to a nearby tree then go over and bomb them from there.

It's pretty slim at 50 feet where I would need to top it...not real keen on rigging the top off the spindly spar...at least while I am on it. Swing and hang may be just the ticket...looks like it worked well for you.

Awesome! Psyched to see you're posting here. I've learned so much watching your past videos. Brilliant.

~Cheers.

Awesome Reg!
This is why I like the Wraptor so much. On plans like this, now granted I am the only climber, I can overwhelm my groundie something fierce. SO If I get too far ahead or am working solo... I can go up and down as much as needed and still kick it.
The mini has helped big time with the material handling keeping up to my chainsaw assisted mayhem... ;)
Nice work.
You are truly a master of this profession and some one I do aspire to as I progress through the ranks :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot guys. Glad to get off the ground with my first thread here:thumbup:

Nice, Reg. Nice to see a lot of photos, seems like you normally do mostly vids, which are good too of course.

Good explanation re 2 climbers.

"Full clean up", does that mean YOU were chipping? I hope not. There is nothing at all wrong with a climber chipping at some point but if a top climber like you is being relied upon to do chipping in the middle of a TD, that seems like a serious misapplication of talent, imo.

Cory, If you go through the rigging section on TB you'd realize that I've put hundreds of pics on that site over the last several years....the crane section too when I was doing a lot of that. 20, 30 at a time. Would take me hours to embed on the system that they have....all big or technical jobs too, nothing mediocre. So when you put all that time and effort in as a contributor and get but a trickle of response you begin to wonder:/:. I was never looking for a medal or anything but just some acknowledgement so I know whether or not to continue. You start to think that either it just piszes people off or they are just not interested in that sort of work....maybe a little of both. Same with the videos. Theres some good people post on TB but I'm not gonna waste any more of theirs or my own time.

I do lots of chipping, if that's what needs to be done. Its all treework, I still get paid. Again, it goes back to utilizing the available manpower. Had we gone for one climbing and one on the ground we would constantly be making each other redundant....taking it in turns to work.....one works, the other waits. As it was, Scott and I simultaneously worked unimpeded in the tree, and then the same for the clean-up. No waiting. That's the only way we were gonna finish on time. Thanks again.

Impressive, Reg.

I think you will find plenty of interested folks here at TH.

I can't imagine tree guys not finding your work top notch! I guess some people can't handle seeing another person that is more talented then them? Well their loss our gain. Good to have you and keep on posting:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't imagine tree guys not finding your work top notch! I guess some people can't handle seeing another person that is more talented then them? Well their loss our gain. Good to have you and keep on posting:D

Thanks again....although, I always associate the word talent with the likes of musicians and sports-people. I consider tree workers as tradesmen, good and bad.

When i worked in Australia 92-93, the company I worked for used to hire me as a climber to several others round and about the city. One of them was called Twisties trees....owned by a larger than life character known to his friends as Ronnie the Wog, or Ronnie the lopper. Ronnie had Italian parents but himself grew up in Australia.

Ronnies shop, which was also his home was always a buzz of activity. Tradesmen of all kinds would show up morning through to midnight with bits of motors and machines, guns, wives, girfriends, kids, hooker's....stand around bull$hitting over beer and smoke. Solid, salt of the earth guys though....your handshake was sacred. It was your oath.

Ronnie would refer to them as 'Real Blokes'. 'Hey Reg, this is Dave, fackn real bloke mate!' I was 20-21 at the time. Had a ball and learnt a lot.

I much sooner be a real bloke, than talented, anyday :beerchug:

Good pics and I understood the methodology. I think you posted earlier about the skill of getting a job done.
I was thinking about that, as the "boss" as it were, one is always looking around at the blokes,where the chipper is
What's the quickest way to get it done? can I do it on time so I make enough out of it?
Anyway glad to hear you still stuff it in the chipper if needs be.

Talent is an interesting topic. Some people have so much talent right from the start that the skill isn't interesting in a challenging kind of way, so they don't stick with it, or who knows where they might have ended up? Other people are not gifted, but their talent is in their staying power, so over time with perseverance, they end up doing real fine stuff. It happens on occasion, the worst students can end up doing the best, depending on where their hearts are with it. You guys remember Adrian's first pics when he started climbing, have to laugh when thinking how awkward he looked. Look at him now, plus his embrace of the whole field in general! That boy's talent is in his desire, a beautiful thing....

Talent is an interesting topic. Some people have so much talent right from the start that the skill isn't interesting in a challenging kind of way, so they don't stick with it, or who knows where they might have ended up? Other people are not gifted, but their talent is in their staying power, so over time with perseverance, they end up doing real fine stuff. It happens on occasion, the worst students can end up doing the best, depending on where their hearts are with it. You guys remember Adrian's first pics when he started climbing, have to laugh when thinking how awkward he looked. Look at him now, plus his embrace of the whole field in general! That boy's talent is in his desire, a beautiful thing....

I think the point is that tree work is a trade like any other, but some people try to put it on a pedestal and elevate it into an art form. To me that demeans the whole job, you don't need to be an artist to cut trees, you need an aptitude for the work, physical strength and fitness and an understanding of how to apply basic physics.

Your furniture work on the other hand, starts with tradesman/craftsman skills, but also demands the creative/artistic skills to design a beautiful and functional piece.

Nice pics Reg!

Reg and Peter, you've done a great job explaining the way i look at tree work, as being a trade.

Although I've nearly always carried a camera w/video in the truck i rarely use it for anything but documenting damage that may exist in a drop zone before a job starts. The largest part of my work is just another day with normal challenges and not (to me) worth documenting visually. When I do run into the occasional highly challenging job my mind is concentrated on the job at hand and I forget I might want to take a pic or two of the job.

And yes, Jay is highly skilled and definitely an artist when it comes to furniture!

I feel much the same way. I hardly ever take pictures of tree work anymore. Maybe occasionally the unusual tree, but my work pictures just started looking all the same, and I don't have any exceptional skills or knowledge to share.

I do appreciate everyone else posting their shots and videos, though. I'm constantly learning from them, and making my work easier and safer.

Set me to thinking about a method I use occasionally to lower limbs when I'm alone or the groundy is emptying the truck etc.
best illustrated by Pompey Bear.
Fig 1 Pompey ties one end of the line to a spur, loops round a fork and wraps the other end around a spur or something as a friction device.
Fig 2 Pompey cuts the branch which hangs initially then he lowers it using his makeshift friction device.
Fig 3 Once safely lowered he can pull the end through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 88
Back