HAAS Knee Ascender

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont make it. It was invented by a guy named Mike Frankhauser... I dont have any connection to its success or failure.

I hope it does well, for Mike, but thats about it.

Is Mike selling these himself or just at treestuff?
I have Burnham's old Kong dual handled accender, thoughts of making one of my own from part of it has crossed my mind more than once. Since seeing it what impresses me most is its smooth return to capture another grab!

Nick. Thanks for the vids and reviews. . They really help me to see how this stuff works.
Really helps this tired older timber faller to see how I can incorporate new equipment
and techniques to make my climbing work easier and safer.

That looks like my custom made green one..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nick, what about torque on the ankle, knee, and hip from that side mount? I was using my rope walker a crazy amount the other day end-weight reducing a fir, and could feel the asymmetrical loading over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick. Thanks for the vids and reviews. . They really help me to see how this stuff works.
Really helps this tired older timber faller to see how I can incorporate new equipment
and techniques to make my climbing work easier and safer.

I am happy its helpful to you CL! Thanks for joining the House, stick around.

Nick, what about torque on the ankle, knee, and hip from that side mount? I was using my rope walker a crazy amount the other day end-weight reducing a fir, and could feel the asymmetrical loading over time.

I never had an issue. I dont use that footloop anymore, but it was just for a knee ascender. I dont climb 100'+ trees though.

Hey Nick, I just made a knee ascender with some Branch Saver from Treestuff. Super easy to splice and a piece of bungie from Ace. Haven't needed it yet but will try it out next week.

I made one yesterday. I used a Basic. Spliced on 3/8" Tenex for the foot loop and Bungy cord from Napa.
I'm not too happy with the bungy it only gives me 11" of lift. But its a start. I'll prolly get a Haas from tree stuff if this one is acting like it wants to work. .

Thank you.
I did something different for my foot loop. I had lots of tail when I spliced the Tenex on the bottom hole of the basic so I stuck it back in about 1 1/2 " up from the bitter end then brought it back out 2" from where it first came out. Forming a foot loop.
I don't know if it will work well. But if it doesn't I can pull it out and tie a Blake's or taut line hitch. Or like Bonner I can make a prussic for the foot stirrup. I can tighten this on my foot by pulling the tail. But it may creep loose. If it does I'll try the hitch or prussic

chicken loop - strap around the ankle to hold the footloop on

My homemade footloop has velcro on the insides of the loop above my foot and I stitched on a tight loop of webbing around it all that I slide down to the top of my foot, the velcro sticks together, the the little slidey loop keeps it all snug. I had way too much time one rainy day...now to make it detachable from the basic, because once I'm up I like to have the basic with revolver to use for 3:1, and the foot loop gets in the way.

Here's my simple version, cobbled together from bits I had lying around. I thought it would fall apart pretty quickly, but it's been in service for over 6 months. I love that it's small and light enough that I can fold it up and stuff it in my ditty sack and forget that I'm carrying it around.

footloop.jpg

Welcome back, Leon!

I made one similar to yours with the 3mm tech cord. I believe I'm a bit too rotund for 3mm, I broke 2 of them at the knot on the ascender. :) I've got some tenex and a croll to make my own HAAS type now.

I love the look of the HAAS.

One Question:
When the bungee looses it's elasticity, can it be replaced easily or is it a case of the bungee will last such a long time that you just replace the whole lot?

How is the bungee inserted and tied off within the tenex? I have all the bits lying around and usually use a micro frog system that I can interchange between a croll for access line or a rope wrench, depending on the situation.

I am gonna knock a knee ascender up tomorrow as I have the bits from a DLRW setup I used a few years ago. Just wondering how the elastic is kept in place as it will make it slightly neater.

Does it run all the way down and through the adjustable foot loop?

Cheers.

I don't think it runs thru the foot loop. The main body is stiff and I'm pretty sure it stops just before the loop. I just got it but I'm loving how easy it is to walk up the rope. The only problem I have is that it's really picking my rope and I don't have this problem with any of my other ascenders. Seems like the top few teeth are snagging and hanging on even when I'm careful about taking it off.

Back